Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio Information and Installation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #141
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitBreaker View Post
There's nothing really wrong with screwdriver antennas. But some are better than others and a lot of that comes down to the size of the coil. Supposedly, the best out there right now is Scorpion. They're very expensive (as much or more than some home/base station antennas) but well worth the money.
Yeah but you know no matter what one you buy the bottom line is you are still working QRP. It never ceases to amaze me that I can get through a pile up mobile. 72 countries now mobile and counting.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #142
CircuitBreaker is a splendid one to beholdCircuitBreaker is a splendid one to beholdCircuitBreaker is a splendid one to beholdCircuitBreaker is a splendid one to beholdCircuitBreaker is a splendid one to beholdCircuitBreaker is a splendid one to beholdCircuitBreaker is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stephen
CircuitBreaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Yeah but when the band is dead he'll be able to talk to his buddy in the next town though. All that money for a 50 watt AM carrier. Do they make SSB CB's any more?
Uniden makes one that doesn't look half bad.

http://www.uniden.com/cb-radios/bear...vt/bearcat980g
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #143
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up! just got mined tuned and was able to get 1.3 on ch.1 and 40
Old 07-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #144
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone figured out a nice, clean spot to mount a full sized radio in our trucks?!?! I want that Uniden 980 ssb so bad, but have no idea where I can put it where it's clean and not in anyone's way!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #145
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau8823 View Post
Has anyone figured out a nice, clean spot to mount a full sized radio in our trucks?!?! I want that Uniden 980 ssb so bad, but have no idea where I can put it where it's clean and not in anyone's way!
Mine has been doing just fine here....

Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #146
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fau8823 View Post
Mine is in my glovebox..
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #148
Not as new as my post count would appear
Scalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud ofScalded_Dawg has much to be proud of

Air Force: Once a B-1 Mechanic, now upper Management
Name: Brent
Scalded_Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Great info here OP!
Thanks for the consolidation and BASIC info to help us talk to eachother on the trail!
Sub'd.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #149
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallhertaco11 View Post
Got mine done, lagged on putting it up.

And just for the hell of it...
Nice, great looking flag setup there.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #150
icallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really niceicallhertaco11 is just really nice
Name: Jamie
icallhertaco11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsauce View Post
Nice, great looking flag setup there.
Thanks man and couldn't have installed the CB without this thread, thanks man!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #151
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe OP, or someone else can help with this question. Maybe a dumb question, but I don't know a whole lot when it comes to these things. Anyway, I have this handheld cb radio:

I like to only listen I never talk on it, just listen. So I have that magnet mount where the hood meets the fender by the windshield on the flat part there (2nd gen). I also got a cheapy 2ft antenna to replace the short antenna it came with, to improve my reception.

I have it on the passenger side by the stereo antenna. So my question is, does having it near the stereo antenna affect reception at all? I know it would affect transmission, but like I said, I only listen, so I'm not worried about that.

Also my stereo antenna is an 8 inch shorty antenna, if that makes a difference.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #152
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
Maybe OP, or someone else can help with this question. Maybe a dumb question, but I don't know a whole lot when it comes to these things. Anyway, I have this handheld cb radio:

I like to only listen I never talk on it, just listen. So I have that magnet mount where the hood meets the fender by the windshield on the flat part there (2nd gen). I also got a cheapy 2ft antenna to replace the short antenna it came with, to improve my reception.

I have it on the passenger side by the stereo antenna. So my question is, does having it near the stereo antenna affect reception at all? I know it would affect transmission, but like I said, I only listen, so I'm not worried about that.

I don't think it should cause a problem. I had a handheld with an external antenna and it helped but it was never very good. Why not put it up on the roof? You will have a lot better performance up there.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #153
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
I don't think it should cause a problem. I had a handheld with an external antenna and it helped but it was never very good. Why not put it up on the roof? You will have a lot better performance up there.
I agree, but the wire from the mount isn't very long. So its kind of my best option. I just didn't know if it was better driver or passenger side due to the am/fm antenna being there. And I like it on the passenger side.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #154
undecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shedundecided is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Adam
undecided's Tacoma Gallery
What a great write-up
Old 08-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #155
mdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nice

mdurbs68's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have the same exact set up but I use the mag mount that came with the unit. I mount on the roof right above drivers door and run wire under seat to counsel.
I also never talk, just listen. I would like a better mag mount antenna though.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurbs68 View Post
I have the same exact set up but I use the mag mount that came with the unit. I mount on the roof right above drivers door and run wire under seat to counsel.
I also never talk, just listen. I would like a better mag mount antenna though.
Yeah I use the same mag mount it came with, just added the 2 ft antenna. I didn't like right by the door(no good for my OCD LOL). Wish the coax was just a little bit longer, and I could put it in the middle of the roof.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #157
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry, I have been away for a while.

Having the CB antenna near the stereo antenna should cause reception problems.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #158

Quote:
Sorry, I have been away for a while.

Having the CB antenna near the stereo antenna should cause reception problems.
Ok, guess I'll be moving it to the drivers side then. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #159

Quote:
Ok, guess I'll be moving it to the drivers side then. Thanks.
Ack! I meant should NOT cause reception problems.

I haven't been typing recently, I think I forgot how.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #160

Quote:
Ack! I meant should NOT cause reception problems.

I haven't been typing recently, I think I forgot how.
LOL. I thought it was worded funny, but thought well maybe he's just Hung over or something. Ok, thanks again, that's what I was hoping.

Products Discussed in this Thread