1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by D1EHARD, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    D1EHARD

D1EHARD [OP] Got the Fever

Member:
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Silver TRD Offroad
    I have searched for days on this and I'm so confused. I am ordering the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS double din unit. I'm gonna go with all the harnesses that I can get my hands on: the stock wiring harness, the steering controls, etc.

The siriusxm radio option and iphone 5 compatiblility is what I am lost on. I see that the 5500 is sirius ready, yet you have to order an adapter to make it actually work. This adapter comes with an antenna. Do I have to use this antenna or can I just use my stock shark fin that I already have on my 2012 Taco? I don't want two antenna's on top of my truck.

Also, is anyone using an iPhone 5 with this unit? I see they have the adapters for the iPhone 5 and it mentions something about a firmware update. But does it actually work?

I'm going to attempt to install all of this myself, I just don't want to F up.

2. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    WhiteTacoma09

WhiteTacoma09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner access cab
    ZXE Headlights Drop in k&n filter Kobalt slim toolbox Tinted 17" FJ trail edition wheels OEM foglights 265/70/17 BFGs AVS vent visors Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD
    i have the pioneer avhx2500bt. setup was easy, got a harness and dash kit from radioshack, 5 pin relay from a auto parts store to do the parking brake bypass. as for the shark antenna, that will be for the fm/am. i do believe that the sirius has a separate antenna. more like a magnet. but i do believe our tacomas have a built in sat radio antenna on the roof. at least my '09 does. there's a lot of how to videos on YouTube. hope this helps. btw im using Android phone, might get an iPhone to use the built in apps.

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    C Wills

C Wills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cearyx aka C Gutta
    Englewood,nj
    Vehicle:
    DCSB
    20% tint, extang trifecta tonneau cover.
    I can't answer any Sirius radio questions cause I don't have it. But I do have the x5500 and the iPhone 5. No problems . I didn't need to update anything just plug and play. The 5500 comes with the USB wire and connect that to the regular lighting wire and that it.

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    D1EHARD

D1EHARD [OP] Got the Fever

Member:
    Bama
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Silver TRD Offroad
  5. Jun 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Yeah I used that exact same adapter to connect my stock headunit to the built in antenna.

You're setup will be shark fin adapter -> SiriusXM adapter -> headunit

This is the SiriusXM adapter http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV200v1-Connect-SiriusXM-Ready-Receivers/dp/B007T0NM2M

6. Jun 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    As far as the iphone 5 goes, bluetooth and all that should sync no problem and from what C Wills says, plugging into to the usb should work fine for streaming audio. But if you want video from your iPhone 5 you need to buy several (pricey) things...

CD-IV202AV, Apple® Lightning to VGA Adapter and Apple® Lightning to USB Cable.

All-in, you're looking at $150 worth of adapters to get video and appradio on the iphone 5. I'm sure in time, better ways of connecting the 5 will come out and be much cheaper

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    Tulot Tech

Tulot Tech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Trumann, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR DCSB, 4x4 6 Speed Manual
    Is plasti-dip a mod?
    I just installed this same unit in my truck. I'm confused. I need an adapter for the Sirius Radio hookup? Cause it's greyed out on my screen. The wiring harness only fit 2 plugs and the radio is working fine, just not sat radio.

8. Jun 18, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    jlleiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Yep you need to use this guy...http://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV20.../dp/B007T0NM2M

The new radios are all marketed as "SiriusXM" ready. Meaning that they are ready to have an adapter installed lol. That link I posted is technically a "tuner". It receives the antenna signal and translates it to your headunit.

9. Jun 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    theallpowerfuljon

theallpowerfuljon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 15 T4R Limited
    I'm having the problem with my iPhone 5 and getting Pandora to stream over Bluetooth. I know there's a bug if you update the firmware on the Pioneer 3500 DVD, but I haven't done that. Anyone else have problems with Bluetooth Pandora on iPhone 5 with any of the 2013 Pioneer lineup? Just says 'Connection Failed'

Products Discussed in

To Top