1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 tacoma, brand new 6.5 kickers, high bass buzzes very bad

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TheEVILshredder, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    TheEVILshredder

TheEVILshredder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Brand new kicker speakers throughout the truck, no sub yet, further improvements planned
    Hello, this is my first post to tacoma world. ^.^ But I can't seem to find a single bif of anyone else experiencing this problem anywhere on the net. So here goes,
    I installed 4 6.5 inch kickers in the driver, passenger, and both back sides. Upon install, the screwdriver slipped, and put a clean crack through one of the membranes. I have already fixed this, but no matter what else I do, my speakers buzz like crazy. Keep in mind I had a 89 Wagoneer prior to this, same speakers, but they were 5 1/2's not 6's. And the same head unit as well. (aftermarket clarion nothing amazing) And full volume, i would never get any buzzing problems. And I've tried everything I could possibly think of to stop my truck's buzzing problem. I've taken out the back speakers, cut 1/2 inch thick weather stripping, surrounding the back of the speaker for more insulation, I've even put gigantic foam chunks in the back between the back of the speaker, and the metal of the inside of my trucks body. Screwed them in extra tight, there is absolutely no room for buzzing, and yet they still buzz. I am at my wits end here, I've taken my door panels off too many times, and the plastic things that hold it in place are hanging on by a thread. ANY help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Keep it mind when the volume is relatively low, I don't experience these problems. But when it's full volume, they sound horrible. I don't know what else I can possibly do. Please help! :annoyed:

2. Jun 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Brand new kicker speakers throughout the truck, no sub yet, further improvements planned
  3. Jun 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    I can post pictures if need be, showing what I've done with the speakers themselves, and to see what the inside of the back looks like. I just would like to try and get this underway today =(

4. Jun 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    That's your problem. You shouldn't every be hitting the max volume of your HU otherwise its full of distortion. That buzz is most likely you pushing the cone past its excursion point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3q7Aq5KoUk

5. Jun 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    are you sure it's the speakers themselves that are buzzing or the plastic door panel vibrating against the door metal? do all of your speakers buzz the same or just the damaged one?

last week i finished installing my Hybrid Audio Legatia L6's and haven't had any door buzzing problems. i covered the whole door metal with ensolite (rubber foam), so the door plastic doesn't touch any metal or other hard surface. the center of my dash will buzz on a 100Hz test tone at pretty high volume, but i'm going to leave it alone since it doesn't surface on regular music.

6. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Thanks for the insightful responses guys. And I'm aware of the full volume on my door speakers isn't good for it. What I'm saying is that I had the same exact kind, the same exact head unit, in a different truck, the speakers only being an inch smaller than what they are now, and they didn't buzz at all at full volume. The one with the crack in it was definitely a culprit, but applying rubber cement to both the front, and back of the crack on the membrane itself several times, and then reapplying when dry, (making a total of around 5 coats) seems to have fixed that for the most part. It's not even ALL songs that do this as well. It's only when the base reaches a certain frequency it just sounds like complete crap. I don't understand why these ones would buzz this badly, yet the same brand, same head unit, an inch smaller, didn't buzz at all in my old Wagonneer.
    That's the main thing I'm confused about. But if my truck can't look good without dumping thousands of $'s into it that I don't have, I'd like it at least to sound good. Plan on straight-pipin' it, putting some spacers between axel's and wheels to give it some more width. But keep in mind that's all saved for when I have thousands to blow on my truck. lol. (along with a bed liner, because the plastic one is crap and I tore it out.) I plan on puttin a 10 inch kicker in the box already in the truck as well along with a kicker head unit eventually as well. (I like Kicker) This wouldn't thump too much would it for my little truck? I also planned on setting up a crossover, and setting anything under 100 HTZ to come through specifically the sub. But that will all take awhile, and the money to do it. I'm thinking more, more, more foam. Completely insulate the underneath of the speaker's slot as well. I'm just sick of the fact that it has 300$ worth of speakers in it, and they still sound like garbage. lol. Thanks again for all the help ya'll. I really do appreciate it.

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    kicker amp* sorry for the typos, still a bit half asleep. lol.

8. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    I am almost 100% sure that your speakers are NOT buzzing. The door panels in these trucks are interesting beasts to say the least. I had the same issue when I put in new 6.5's (only have an access cab) but the drivers side control switches on the door panel was vibrating against the skin - I bought some felt tape from Home Depot, and completed lined that control switch, put it all around the wires leading to the switch than had to push it back into place. After I lined all the surfaces that touch the door skin, the vibrations stopped. (they again only buzzed at certain frequencies). Try putting all the sound to the front drivers side speaker and turn it up - use your leg to push against the door panel and your hand to push on the control unit (panel that rolls windows down, locks door). See if any vibrations are eliminated - if so, try my method. I can take pictures if needed.

9. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Thanks for the response guitar jamman, It seems to be the cause of the whole issues is mainly from my back two speakers. I have a half cab ( but no access to back doors that allows them to open, just two fold down seats in the back behind driver and passenger.) But these speakers seem to giving me the most trouble. The front ones as far as I can tell, don't buzz at all (sometimes slight distortion) But i yet to have insulate them all either. All but the one front speaker is what I have insulated (because that was the only one that sounded ok, and it was too hot outside to do anymore.) But As fast as I can tell, the back speakers mainly vibrate the metal surrounding the speaker, and that is causing my buzzing/distortion. I've taken a few pics showing how I've insulated the speakers, let me know ya'lls thoughts. Good idea/bad idea? Speakers have enough room to breathe? I think further insulation, and then the crossover seems like my best plan of action. I will gladly take any and all suggestions though guys.

IMG_20130617_131652_400.jpg
    IMG_20130617_131708_125.jpg
    IMG_20130617_131732_094.jpg

10. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    The pic on the left is how i have the back of each speaker, the middle pic is how I repaired the membrane (the best I could) and the last pic is how I've insulated the very back speakers. Because they seem to be giving me the most trouble buzzing/distortion wise.

11. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    You may need to mass load the plastic mounting surface of the speakers. That would be putting RAAMmat or another sound deadener on the panel. My guess is the mounting panel is causing the vibration.

12. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Very good advice. Any clue where I could buy stuff like this, without ordering it off the net? I've heard of Dynamat, but have no idea where I could buy it. My guess is Autozone, or something similar wouldn't have it? Either way def something I should try. cover the back panels and the front just for good measure, the front is kinda weird with it's panels. It's a big plastic one that screws into the door itself, then which you screw the speakers into. But the plastic vibrating definitely seems to be the culprit. I just need to do this in the best way possible to minimize on that. The front door panels come out, the back do not. At least there isn't any screw that I can reach/the whole back door panel comes off as in the whole plastic piece with the seatbelt underneath and all.

13. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Any stereo shop will have Dynamat in "door" packages. That's all you really need. Heck, I think bestbuy sells the stuff. What looks to me like the buzzing culprit is the panel that the speaker mounts to. You need to figure how to get that out, and Dynamat the back of it. The foam you have now stuck to the speaker might help a little, but that panel, being made of plastic, will vibrate like crazy. When guys do massive installs with subs and such (myself included), I like to take every plastic panel out and put some deadener on it, then cover underneath with Closed Cell Foam (internet only I would guess). This kills the plastic buzz you get with bass, and restores your sanity if you have a lot of buzzing in the cab.

14. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma

Badass advice man. All things I def need to try. I will try just the deadener first, but the back panels look like they will terrible to try and get out. The only way would be by taking the whole plastic panel off and I'm sure it won't be easy. Because it is one solid plastic piece that hugs the back window, the seatbelt, and the speaker cover that pops into place.

15. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    :annoyed::goingcrazy::frusty: Figures. Good luck. Maybe cut smaller pieces and fit your hand through the hole and put down as much as you can.

16. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Kicker amps just plain suck try a set of pioneers or jbl

17. Jun 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    exactlyyy. I can probably get it off, but it might but not be worth all the effort. lol. And good to know, you mean the amps suck, or the subs suck? My truck is pretty small, so I really don't need something crazy big and have to be dynamatting the entire inside of my truck. lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top