1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Morel Virtus 502 or Hybrid 502

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Blutarsky, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Jun 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    Blutarsky

Blutarsky [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4
    Will Morel Virtus 502's or Hybrid 502's fit in the front door stock speaker locations of a 2nd Gen Tacoma (using ********* adapters)?

I am going for a semi-budget high sound quality system:

• Pioneer 80PRS Head Unit
    • Zapco 1000.4 or 750.2 to drive 2 Way Fronts
    • Zapco 500.1 to drive sub
    • Morel 2 way fronts
    • (1) JL 10TW3 D4 Sub

I already have the head unit and the 500.1. If I can find a 1000.4, I will run active using the PRS three channel output capability. If I have to go with the 750.2, I will run passive using the Morel crossover....assuming I can make them fit...

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Love the 80 PRS. I just threw one in the lil womans car last week. I also put the Morel Virtus 603s in it. I have to say with the limited tuning I have done and reducing the tweeter output on the crossovers, those highs are HIGH. Man they scream. I think I can dial them in, it will just take some time.

Yes they will fit. I have had some Focal K2Ps in the front doors, and they are some of the deepest mounting mids on the market.

3. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM
    Blutarsky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4
    Thank 3Man. I just found a Zapco 1000.4, so it looks like I will be using the three way network feature of the 80 PRS to run the system active....With no dedicated processor. Have you found the 80 PRS network filters to be good enough to run active? Ideally, I would run a Bit One, or Zapco processor, That is just way too much coin to drop on Tacoma.

How do you like the Virtus'?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  4. Jun 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Sure Blu. As far as the Virtus, like I stated before, the highs really stand out. If run active I think that would blending them in would be easier. I also think that if you really want to take advantage of the gear you already have invested in a processor wouldn't be out of the question. I have never used one myself. I feel I can get thing tuned out the way I like. Maybe I am missing out?

I haven't any experience with the Zapco gear, I would like to check it out sometime. That is a lot of juice to run fronts. I don't think you will need that much to run the Morels. They are not power hungry at all. In fact, I have my gains set quite low on a JL JX 360 with 180 watts bridged using the passive crossovers.

As far as tuning with the PRS, I have just gotten started. It is very user friendly and making adjustments is quite easy.

5. Jun 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    Blutarsky

Member:
    Vehicle:
    13 4x4
    3M,

I spoke with the closest Morel dealer to me today. They do not carry the Virtus line yet, but they do have Hybrid 602's in stock and on their demo rack. They actually recommended running passive. The Morel crossover is supposedly quite sophisticated and really dialed in to the characteristics of their own drivers.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  6. Jun 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    They likely recommended running it passive due to the fact it's harder to screw up that way. Less warranty returns. :D

But seriously, it's rare that a passive will be BEST in your vehicle. In fact, with decent active controls you can ALWAYS (and I mean always) get better results. You just have to know what you're doing.

7. Jun 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    ThreeMan

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    I could be persuaded out of the Virtus 603 set I just installed in my Jetta.

8. Jul 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    pcabinatan

pcabinatan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Avondale, Arizona
    K&N Intake, 35w 6K HID's, Plastidip badges
    The Virtus 603's are great. I competed with them in my Genesis Coupe. You cannot go wrong with either Hybrid or Morel. Ive used both, and being a dealer for both customers cant love both. Hybrids tend to be a tad more affordable.

9. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can certainly use the time alignment of the 80prs in stereo mode to get it sounding good, but active will give you more control to dial in crossover points. I actually have the time delay of my mids and tweets equal for a given side, and I'm liking the sound. I tried doing exact measurements using a tape measure then tweaking a bit from there and I still like the sound of mid/tweet being equal. It's just smoother. I dunno, maybe I'm whack but I like the sound and that's all that matters.

Tuning is an evolving process and my settings are subject to change :)

Products Discussed in

To Top