1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

10" Sub Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DerreksTaco, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    DerreksTaco

DerreksTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Taco
    Well, I thought I would upload a bunch of pictures from my speaker install. I wanted to give all the deminsions, however, I had to change them as I go, and lost track, however, you can see what it looks like and possibly give you ideas. The major components include 10" Alpine Shallow mount sub, JL Audio 500 Watt amp (I picked this mostly for the remote bass knob), wiring kit, HI/LO conversion (for amp inputs). I decided to keep the stock radio to give me a "sleeper" system, + I was running out of money :/ , I wish I would have used more sound damping material, I just wanted to put this thing in and took some short cuts, I would suggest not to do that. A few lessons learned... 1.) Its easier than you probably think (there is so much learning resource material online), 2.) Don't short cut, you'll be mad later 3.) Measure 10 times and cut Once!. Hope you like the pics, It turned out pretty good!

DSC02898.jpg
    DSC02909.jpg
    DSC02917.jpg
    DSC02913.jpg
    DSC02919.jpg
    DSC02904.jpg
    DSC02906.jpg
    DSC02918.jpg
    DSC02924.jpg
    DSC02925.jpg

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    jlleiber

jlleiber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Nice work on the box and I like the bass knob location...why are you disappointed with the dynamat? Still having lots of vibrations/rattles?

3. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    If you are getting vibes and rattles, it's probably the plastics in the truck. When you put a sub in, it's going to dig deeper than the stock speakers ever could hope too. Toyota didn't account for that, and the plastics are loose in places, like the b pillar, and c pillar. Pulling that out and putting some RAAMmat or similar sound deadener on them should make most of the buzzes and rattles disappear. Only buzzing in my truck is the buttons on my Scangauge, but I can't think of a way to fix it.

4. Jun 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    DerreksTaco

DerreksTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Taco
    I think for what I did it helped, I should have just done more. I already had the seats out, so I should have taken out the carpet and headliner ... well pretty much stripped it down and installed dynamat everywhere. Tacos are not built for big subs, the best cars are like hatch backs or big vans. The lack of room was also a killer.

5. Jun 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4X4
  6. Jun 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    It is the plastics, Here's some info in my thread on what I did.

quick run down - I used fat mat as my deadener, then between the fat mat and the plastics I used this somewhat thick double sided tape they use on HVAC duct work .

I also used alittle clear RTV on all of the clips that attach the plastics .

One location the double sided tape realy helped that most forget is under the plastic covers on the back of the double cab seats.

I wish I got to take more pics, but I had to much going on between the fatmat, tape and RTV.

Heres my lil thread, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/282850-upgraded-my-jbl-sub-some-sound-deadening.html

more subs to come soon.

7. Jun 23, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    DerreksTaco

DerreksTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Taco

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136RBC...27585&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=15761730025&awdv=c

I used the same blank, just found the center and drilled a small hole for the knob to pass through. Then you have to dremel out where the blank inserts. I kinda of rushed it and you can see it doesn't look great. If you go real slow, and just use the sanding tool you will be able to take it down enough. Just keep trying to reinsert the blank into hole with the knob until it fits snug. BUT take your time. I'm mad at my self for the work I did. It was raining and I just wanted to get it finished. Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top