Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

What is the black plug in the back of the factory stereo? (2011 TRD OR DC)

Old 06-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Try this
Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
ribby95 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Enlisted
ribby95's Tacoma Gallery
Some stock HU come with a stereo upgrade port (usually subwoofer w/amp). From the looks of the wires, it defiantly has something to do with sound. (always the slight chance it could be something else.) Some of these plugs also tie into other sensors. I have almost the exact same plug on my f150 stock hu and it was for a line driver for a subwoofer with built in amp. ill try and do some digging with a couple of installers I know and see what they say. If you have local shop just stop by and im sure they can test it and tell you exactly what it goes to. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Are all your speakers working? They must be cause when I installed my Kenwood all mine hooked up to the two right connections and the two left ones were left open. I lost my steering wheel controls though. So it must be the big white connection for the steering wheel controls.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
Artax
ezatnova is on a distinguished road
ezatnova's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you guys for the links. I haven't found an answer from that info yet.

To the last question, yes, I believe all the speakers do work when it's unplugged. I messed with the fade and balance and it seemed like sound could be isolated to each area just fine. I did hear the separate tweeters too.

Hopefully we're getting close to an answer. I can't be the only one with this plug, or the only one who will try to install an iPod kit and run into this port having a plug already, so hopefully when we get an answer, it will help some others down the line, as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Well the taped wires I mentioned earlier are absolutely 100% the "shield" or "-" side of an RCA, now weather its audio or video I couldn't tell you. But I can say that the only thing on a stock radio that would use that type of input is either the AUX port down below, or the camera input, or the bluetooth mic, or usb. If both those still work, its possible that its not audio or video and instead just a ground for whatever source it goes to.

If it a 2011 non-JBL, the only plugs or sources you should have are the following:

Power
6 speaker audio
SAT Radio tuner
SAT Radio antenna
AM/FM antenna
Bluetooth input/output (microphone included)
Steering controls
USB (if you have it)
And that's all I can think of... Someone add something if I missed it.

If all those still work (be sure to check Bluetooth mic) then the plug probably isn't used.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #27
Artax
Thanks ProForce.

I do not have Bluetooth buttons/mic in the truck.

I also do not have USB (I wish I did, so I could skip this whole darn ipod kit!).

I am 99% sure all 6 speakers work with the black plug out. I made an effort to listen to the tweeters themselves too.

The camera and the Aux port are both confirmed working with the plug out.

I don't understand what the unit/car has for XM Satellite very well, so this is one of the possible areas where it could be related. I was under the impression that in this radio/year, the Sat receiver was integrated into the head unit, meaning that there wouldn't need to be anything plugged into the head unit to make Sat work. Also, and this could be key, the XM Preview channel 001 works FINE with the black plug out too! So strange.

Lastly, I looked at that black wrapped wire you mentioned a little closer. As I think you are already saying, it definitely is a thicker, twisted strand, bare metal wire that is wrapped in a type of tape. It's different from the other 11 wires in the thing that have normal colored dipped coating, and I believe are solid and not twisted strand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Well the taped wires I mentioned earlier are absolutely 100% the "shield" or "-" side of an RCA, now weather its audio or video I couldn't tell you. But I can say that the only thing on a stock radio that would use that type of input is either the AUX port down below, or the camera input, or the bluetooth mic, or usb. If both those still work, its possible that its not audio or video and instead just a ground for whatever source it goes to.

If it a 2011 non-JBL, the only plugs or sources you should have are the following:

Power
6 speaker audio
SAT Radio tuner
SAT Radio antenna
AM/FM antenna
Bluetooth input/output (microphone included)
Steering controls
USB (if you have it)
And that's all I can think of... Someone add something if I missed it.

If all those still work (be sure to check Bluetooth mic) then the plug probably isn't used.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #28
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
I did some researching (VERY bored at work) and I have an answer for you. That black wire you disconnected is a R9 wire. R9? R9 is the "Radio Option Connector"
How do I know? I attached the wiring diagram (in .txt format) for 2005-2008 Standard to 2011 JBL radio diagrams. You have a non-jbl radio (86120-04200) and from the diagram, that connector is called R9. Open the file, scroll down a little to see what R9 is! Beers on you
Attached Files
File Type: txt TacomaJBL.txt (15.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #29
Artax
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nguyen View Post
I did some researching (VERY bored at work) and I have an answer for you. That black wire you disconnected is a R9 wire. R9? R9 is the "Radio Option Connector"
How do I know? I attached the wiring diagram (in .txt format) for 2005-2008 Standard to 2011 JBL radio diagrams. You have a non-jbl radio (86120-04200) and from the diagram, that connector is called R9. Open the file, scroll down a little to see what R9 is! Beers on you
j.nguyen, now we are getting somewhere. I'm about to pour you a frosty cold one (it's never too early, right?), but now I just want to know what the heck is plugged IN to my "radio option connector"! That's what seems to be empty on most other people's radios. What am I disconnecting by unplugging that R9, or what might I have that I don't realize (just bought the truck last week, used). It isn't something hacked and aftermarket. Those 12 wires go right into the factory loom out of the stereo.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #30
All I Do Is Nguyen
gym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shedgym_jamz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
gym_jamz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
j.nguyen, now we are getting somewhere. I'm about to pour you a frosty cold one (it's never too early, right?), but now I just want to know what the heck is plugged IN to my "radio option connector"! That's what seems to be empty on most other people's radios. What am I disconnecting by unplugging that R9, or what might I have that I don't realize (just bought the truck last week, used). It isn't something hacked and aftermarket. Those 12 wires go right into the factory loom out of the stereo.

Thanks
If it's free, I'll take it! I can research and google all day, but I am not an expert in wiring. Hopefully someone can chime in and help ya!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
OP, your correct that XM is built in, that's why the sat antenna plugs right into the head unit. There is nothing else that this plug could be used for. Since the diagrams state its a "radio option" that would make complete sense, hence the reason your iPod connection goes there. But whatever is plugged in there obviously doesn't lead to anything. Its definitely 100% OEM and not a dealer add on, its factory. Probably just a plug that was on the harness and not used. Just like trucks without fog lights can remove the blank and have the wires and plug plugged into the blank. Its a standard harness. I'm guessing it was something to do with Bluetooth.

My professional opinion would be to go ahead and disconnect it and leave it out. I can guarantee it won't cause any issues with the truck and if you eventually notice something not working that's audio related then you probably know why lol. I'd plug in the iPod and call it a day!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #32
Artax
Thanks. I agree. Sure jsut seems strange though that there's a plug in there, vs everyone else acting like theirs is empty.

I'm going to keep hunting, and maybe someone who has been in this situation before me can comfirm something 100%, whether it's a blank, or a pre-wire, or what. You'd think those 12 wires have to go somewhere and do something!

Anyway, if I can get a GTA ipod kit that works (first one sounded awful and had tons of static, so it's getting exchanged), then I'll try to keep an eye out for what that black plug might be. Worst case, there's $15 Y plugs on ebay, so I could put the black one back in, and add the ipod plug too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
OP, your correct that XM is built in, that's why the sat antenna plugs right into the head unit. There is nothing else that this plug could be used for. Since the diagrams state its a "radio option" that would make complete sense, hence the reason your iPod connection goes there. But whatever is plugged in there obviously doesn't lead to anything. Its definitely 100% OEM and not a dealer add on, its factory. Probably just a plug that was on the harness and not used. Just like trucks without fog lights can remove the blank and have the wires and plug plugged into the blank. Its a standard harness. I'm guessing it was something to do with Bluetooth.

My professional opinion would be to go ahead and disconnect it and leave it out. I can guarantee it won't cause any issues with the truck and if you eventually notice something not working that's audio related then you probably know why lol. I'd plug in the iPod and call it a day!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #33
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at the doc j.nguyen posted, the pin descriptions are interesting. Last time that I remember seeing CD audio descriptions like that was on a Cd-drive on a computer for the analog audio output. Along with the ACC and B+ to power something, could it be a patch for an audio processor or Crossover? Seems antiquated to me, but does the CD work with it unplugged? Id check on mine, but my 2006 doesnt come close to yours on features.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #34
Artax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Taco View Post
Looking at the doc j.nguyen posted, the pin descriptions are interesting. Last time that I remember seeing CD audio descriptions like that was on a Cd-drive on a computer for the analog audio output. Along with the ACC and B+ to power something, could it be a patch for an audio processor or Crossover? Seems antiquated to me, but does the CD work with it unplugged? Id check on mine, but my 2006 doesnt come close to yours on features.
Thanks Dragons. The CD plater (6 disc built in to the head unit) does work fine when that's unplugged. The mystery is still open for solving!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
Artax
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoteker View Post
anyone closer to solving this problem?
Ha, nothing definitive yet. The best "guess" so far (from my Toyota mechanic friend) is that it's some pre-wiring for Bluetooth that doesn't go anywhere. Seems odd to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #37
apoteker is on a distinguished road
apoteker's Tacoma Gallery
i also am confused by this plug although it is not black in my 2012
and it does not seem to have any essential function wtf? it sure is confusing

IS THIS perhaps the usb input wiring connector? my 2012 has this plug with lots of wires into it but no other explanation...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #38
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
subbed for the wiring diagram
Old 06-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #39
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Bump...

I ran into this issue yesterday as I was installing my iPod interface too. I thought it was the satellite radio, but after reading this thread, obviously not. Also nothing seems to be affected with mine unplugged. I don't have the Bluetooth either. I'm guessing that's what it could be. I wish someone knew to put my mind at ease. LOL. OP, you still around, and have you had any adverse affects from it being disconnected?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #40
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
oh god I am soooo sorry, I asked for the numbers off the back
and I get partial info. my bad...then 'there are more numbers does it matter' who's trolling whom ?

toyota PN does not always match Panasonic rev

shitballs, I need some negative rep sent to 127.0.0.1 here people
really?