1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problem with GTA iphone kit - static/crackle noises

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ezatnova, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Jun 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    ezatnova

ezatnova [OP] Artax

Member:
    West Chester, PA
    Vehicle:
    21 DC TRD OR - Voodoo
    Wildpeak 265/75/16, Headstrong Progressive AAL, 5100's w Emu 885s
    Installed my GTA iphone kit in my 2011 last night, and I'm so frustrated with the awful sound from it. Songs are sounding "over-amped" and have static/crackle noise in them. The static sound is not constant. I mentioned the "over-amped" noise because the static sound goes WITH the music (i.e. if there was silence in the track there would be none of this noise).

The sound is not high volume dependent (i.e. it happens even at very low volumes, but just quieter).

It also happens whether I use the "s-video" looking cable that goes to the 30-pin connector, or I use the simple aux cable out of the GTA control box.

I have tried multiple iphones with completely different music sources/types, and even streaming pandora, etc. All sources of sound do the same thing and have the issue.

The issue is not my stock system, since as soon as I switch to CD, FM, or just use the factory Aux input, everything is crystal clear.

I have undone and redone each connection (each side of the GTA kit control box, and the plug going into the back of the radio) about 20 times, and nothing helps.

The last thing, and this is what seems really strange, is that the static noise seems to fluctuate in severity or even being there at all. Without the truck running, I'll turn the key on, turn on the radio, and for a few seconds, things sound fine. Then in a bit, the static noise issue will ramp up until it's really annoying.

I have written GTA awhile, but figured I'd ask here in case anyone has had anything similar.

The kit seems nice, but I am about ready just to return this thing and use my factory aux in and a cigarette lighter charger and call it a day. :(

2. Sep 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    Don't know if you contacted them or not, but I installed this kit, too. This kit will not work with stick radios with part numbers beginning with AD.

3. May 9, 2016 at 4:02 AM
    wmartin9385

wmartin9385 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Saranac Lake, NY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all around, old man emu springs, add a leaf.
    I have the same issue with the GTA pure bluetooth kit in my 2011. I think the crackling noises are song/track quality dependent because some songs sound just fine - CD quality or better - some not.

The bigger issue I have is that it has stopped playing music altogether! I can still make calls through it, but all of the sudden it refuses to play my music apps after 3 weeks of working fine. The apps show my music is playing and my phone shows it's connected via bluetooth, but no sound comes out - same with aux cable.

Anyone else have this issue or know of any solutions without tearing the dash apart again?

Products Discussed in

To Top