1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to upgrade first?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tenzing, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Jun 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Tenzing

Tenzing [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Northeast
    Vehicle:
    95 Manual Xtracab 4x4 Taco
    Awesome Skull Cigarette Lighter
    Hey guys,

I have been thinking about upgrading my stock speaker system in my 99 xtracab and I really have no idea where to start.

What I'm looking out of it: Louder sounds, better bass, better quality when playing electronic/EDM music

Budget: 200 bucks to start, give or take

I was planning on putting better speakers in first and then upgrading the headunit, as I'm playing everything off my iPod through the tapedeck. Is that feasible for 200 bucks? I don't need a primeo system, but I drive a lot and listen to a lot of music so having something better than stock would be nice. Is it better to spend 200 on good speakers and keep the factory head unit or should I really be looking at both? Any suggestions would be great, I have heard good things about Pioneer and JL.

If I get money in the future to put towards this, what would you upgrade next? Amp, sub, etc.

Thanks!

2. Jun 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    new head unit first quickly followed by new front speakers. Actually you may as well just do that all at once. Your whole system is stock? from '99?

3. Jun 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    Tenzing

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Northeast
    Vehicle:
    The only thing I've changed is to buy a tape deck iPod player, it could really use an upgrade

4. Jun 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Tenzing

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Northeast
    Vehicle:
  5. Jun 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Stop.

Save your money until you can actually upgrade. Unfortunately, in car audio, you get what you pay for.

Do not get that head unit if you are planning on expanding your system to include a sub down the road.

Also, do not buy those POS speakers if you plan on providing amp'ed power later as well.

The best advice is to hold on to your eagerness until you have sufficient funds. Scrape up a grand them we can talk about upgrading. Until then, pinch pennies and nickels.

6. Jun 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    I agree to a point, but not everybody needs a $1k stereo. Don't cheap out on the deck though. I'd spend the whole $200 or more on a deck then upgrade from there. Don't get those speakers either, you'd be better off with a set of 2-ways for that price.

maybe something like this...
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX597/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X597.html?tp=5684#overview-tab or better yet the upgraded models. This one has ipod controls and blue tooth.

and simple speakers...
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFCX133/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-X133.html?tp=105#overview-tab I got my wife the 6.5" in that model and they sound pretty good although they're amped. (also, not sure what fits your 1st gen).

Seems like a decent budget setup. You could do two pairs for front and back, but most people seem to agree fronts only are the way to go in a truck. I personally like them all the way around.

7. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    SVtaco03

SVtaco03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stockton CA
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner V6
    I have a double cab and I personally only run fronts but that is because they are boston acoustic pro50 and they came with truck. The reason I only run front is for an active setup off my pioneer head unit. I have a center console sub box. Most people get in my truck and are blown away. (its just alright nothing too special)

I would go with an alpine head unit personally, their whole product line is very simple to use. And they look better then a lot of the other brands. The reason I suggest upgrading the head unit first is because even if you get speakers your quality is all lost at the tape player. So speakers are gonna be a bit pointless. Then I would save up money to buy a really nice set of speakers for the fronts with an amplifier if you want loud sound. If you get 6 1/2" speakers you will have more bass out of them which will help with electronic / dubstep. Hope this helps, and the reason I did not recommend a specific head unit is because it all depends on the route you plan on taking or how you want to connect your streaming device(android or ipod) to it. But before you buy something itll help letting people know if you end up wanting to actually add an amp or subs or just stay cheap and get a head unit and speakers that are better then stock.

8. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    My best bang-for-the-buck audio mod was my stealthbox JL Audio sub. I got it used off craigslist for $200, fortunately I had an amp laying around so I didn't have to spend money on that. But it really added a lot of depth to the system. I have the factory speakers by the way. It's a 2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab.

9. Jun 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    SVtaco03

Member:
    Stockton CA
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner V6
    I was bummed that they did make one for my truck. But I built a center console for the new JL thin 10" downfiring on the tranny hump. It probably cost me $120 to build but I also got a fat discount on bondo and fiberglass. Or else it would of taken 200 plus the 10 hours or so.

10. Jun 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    My point wasn't the fact that he needed $1k system. Honestly, a grand will only get you started.

With that money, he could also deaden the doors for a proper intstall. Which will make even low end speakers sound better. Given his choices, the play is to wait untill he has more to work with.

You did have some better suggestions for him. :thumbsup:

11. Jun 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    SVtaco03

Member:
    Stockton CA
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner V6
    This Alpine Head Unit went on a price break about 2 months okay. It is very popular and I have heard good things about it. You can add a sub and an amp if you want but if you want an amp for speakers too then I would recommend a JL xd700/5 amp and you can run your rca's to.

12. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    HaPPyCaMPer

HaPPyCaMPer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC TRD OFFROAD TACO
    Just save your ur money up for a bit and do it right. Sound deaden the doors and rear wall (Raamaudio mat ftw!). And then then buy a nice deck. Then buy an amp to power speakers and set that up (don't hook it to stock speakers though). At that point you can start feeding in speakers and subs as money comes avaible. But you will be set up right if u mat the doors, buy a nice head unit, and get a 4 or 5 channel amp hooked up.

13. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    HaPPyCaMPer

HaPPyCaMPer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC TRD OFFROAD TACO
    Also for sub boxes talk to mr. Marv

14. Jun 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    Tenzing

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    The Northeast
    Vehicle:
    Ok yeah my lack of stereo knowledge is definitely showing here, and thanks for all the suggestions. I feel like I should clarify

I don't really ever see myself investing 1K or more in a stereo system, that's not what I'm looking for. I like listening to music while I drive and I appreciate how awesome that much in upgrades would be, I'm just looking for enough of an improvement that the bass isn't completely distorted and that I get a better sound.

JayAre's suggestions are more in line with my budget and are look to be better options than what I was looking at. Something in that area is what I'm looking for

Products Discussed in

To Top