1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would like to upgrade alternatior

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hero4u2b, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Jun 22, 2013 at 1:38 AM
    hero4u2b

hero4u2b [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Delray Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 w/ SR5 package. I love this new truck it is a 4 cylinder which I wanted due to gas prices. I owned 2 GMC 4x4's in the past 10 years and am glad I bought this truck. I am not an off roader but I like the look of 4x4's much better than lower trucks. I had a stereo system in my last 2006 GMC Sierra and I believe the alternator was a 150 amp output.. I have 2- JL amps. One 500W x 1 and One 300Wx 4. They are the older ( 2005 amps by JL.) I think my alternator now is a 80amp output alt. I do not want to get into putting in multiple battery's and capacitors ect. I went to an Alt shop in my area and the man basically said to upgrade my alt may mess with the trucks computer ect so I am at a loss with what I can do.. I would like to up grade the stereo in this truck and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the alternator without getting into major $$. Thanks everyone...

2. Jun 22, 2013 at 4:09 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I will be honest and say that I don't know for a fact. But just guessing, I bet everything would be fine. The TRD Off Road Tacos come with a heavy duty alt, so I'm sure you could just drop one of those in there. The others here will correct me if I'm wrong Im sure.

3. Jun 22, 2013 at 4:24 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    Does it have the Off-Road package? If so, it already has a beefed alternator (at least mine does)

4. Jun 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    hero4u2b

hero4u2b [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Delray Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks everyone but no it does not. I have had a few GMCs CK1500's 4x4's that did have a larger alternator. I think it was a 150 amp something like that and I kept the original head unit because of the 6 disc changer and used a JL audio clean sweep to clean up the signal I had JL mids and tweets up front and mids in back doors with the JL 300x4 pushing those then had a cabinet built for under the back seat ( elevated about 4 inch's with square metal tube pieces) with 4- 8 inch kicker subs. ( 500x-1 JL amp) and never had a problem although at night when I turned it up I could see the headlights dim on bass notes. I really don't even go out at night much but this alternator I think it an 80amp. Back in the day I have had 15 inch subs even 18 inch( 2) but the amount of power they need is ridiculous. You need multiple batteries then you have to get into springs to keep the cars up ect. I don't need or want all that bass anymore just something with good sound quality and I have all this stereo stuff in a closet and am thinking about how I want to do this in my new Tacoma. I love this truck.. It has a bad ass looking front grill . its a bit smaller inside than my GMC's but I just got sick of putting $80 in gas weekly. sometimes even more and wanted something that was nice looking but good on gas.. I looked at a lot of Tacomas and the only one that has the 4 cylinder that is 4x4 is the access cab and has a 5 speed manual tranny in it.. I checked within 500 miles of West Palm and the only one was a 2013 with 7k miles on it so I scooped it.. I swear it is nicer than my GMC's, my phone connects to it. back up cam in mirror ect. It is a 4x4. access SR5. I suppose the only way to do this is to buy the 130amp stock alternator that comes with the off road package.. Provided that all the brackets line up ect.. Thanks everyone

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  5. Jun 22, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    with those two amps, i think an 80A alt will work fine. you're not exactly running a high powered system. there are alternator upgrades out there (mean green is one i read mentioned quite a bit, though not sure if they make one for the 4 cyl.). i would just try with your current alt and if you find it doesn't keep your battery charged then do the upgrade.

6. Jun 23, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    hero4u2b

hero4u2b [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Delray Beach Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks IKE I wrote in to Car Audio forum as well. If I will need it, I rather start with upgrading all the electrical before hand then moving on to see how I can customize that back accsess area for a sub box and amp locations.. Appreciate it.. Hero

Products Discussed in

To Top