Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2006 Taco DC -- factory JBL amp question

Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2006 Taco DC -- factory JBL amp question

I want to add an aftermarket amp (to power an aftermarket sub) to my factory system, and to do that I'll need to tie in to the existing factory amp that serves all the speakers in the factory system. Does anyone know if a bypass harness system is available to intercept the unamplified signal from the factory head unit to an aftermarket amp?

I found one on eBay for 2004 and earlier Tacos, but can't seem to find anything for 2005-2009's with the JBL system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

If no such thing exists, can someone talk me through the wiring that goes into and out of the existing factory amp (pic below)?

Which bundle is the input bundle from the head unit?

I'm guessing the smaller bundle on top is the input and the mega-bundle in the middle is the output to the speakers, and the small bundle on the bottom for the sub (but this is just a blind guess).

Which wires in that bundle do I need to intercept and splice into for an aftermarket subwoofer amp?

Any assistance here would be appreciated immensely!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I have another question about this while I'm at it...

I read somewhere that to turn on the factory amp (JBL system), the factory head unit doesn't have a 12V amp turn-on lead but rather a data signal lead that tells the amp when to turn on. Is this going to be a complication with adding another amp to power a sub? Do most aftermarket amps have automatic signal sensors to know when to turn on? Or do they typically require a 12V turn-on lead from the head unit?

Forgive my ignorance with all this, I'm more or less a newb with this car audio stuff....
Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
twistax will become famous soon enough

twistax's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming nobody knows this stuff?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you want just a amp and sub then you can use the ACC circuit at the back of the headunit as an amp turn on. The only problem is that the amp you add will stay on on even when you turn the radio off but it will shut off when you turn the key to lock. When I upgrade I am going to just swap out the head unit and run an aftermarket sub and amp off of it. I will continue to use the JBL amp until I swap out the door speakers for high end stuff.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Even better, check this out, same OP just answered this yesterday. Scroll to the end of the first post: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-dc-check.html
Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #8

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Whoa, this is an old thread.

I got the wiring figured out and it is written up in my sub box build thread for anyone who is interested:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-dc-check.html

Long story short, I just spliced a line out converter in to the wire harness that plugged into the factory sub. I had to add a new 12V amp turn on lead which I routed from the ACC in my fuse box using an add-a-circut.

That Crutchfield wiring link was a nice find... I could have used that back when I was doing this but no such link existed back then.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
twistax will become famous soon enough

twistax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Whoa, this is an old thread.

I got the wiring figured out and it is written up in my sub box build thread for anyone who is interested:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-dc-check.html

Long story short, I just spliced a line out converter in to the wire harness that plugged into the factory sub. I had to add a new 12V amp turn on lead which I routed from the ACC in my fuse box using an add-a-circut.

That Crutchfield wiring link was a nice find... I could have used that back when I was doing this but no such link existed back then.
Really nice write up man. So the factory amp is pretty much bolted into the truck? Do you have pics of the removal of the factory sub?