Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Looking for a new Header

Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Doc will become famous soon enough

Doc's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for a new Header

im trying to stay under $200 and it needs to be able to plug into the bottom of my ipod... i have a 2004 tacoma... any suggestions would be appreciated i want to know what you guys have that you like
Old 02-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I would say an Alpine iDA-X303.
Controls were built specifically with the iPod in mind, and transferring between playlists and songs is by far the easiest I have seen. Be sure to look at the percentage and alphabet search, which puts this head and shoulders above other single-DIN decks for searching
This unit offers 3 sets of preouts, so if you ever get the mind to expand to amplifiers, you will have a much easier time and a deck that's ready for the upgrade.
Note that it has no CD player. Do you really want to lug those CD's around when you have an iPod?
I have an iDA-X100 so I'm slightly biased on this point.
Price looks to be $200 or less from Crutchfield, and they are usually the most spendy place to buy.

My other vote tends to be Pioneer (since at this level you can't get into the Premiere line), but I haven't liked the latest rendition to the multi-control dial - too easy to push in the wrong direction. Pioneer is also much harder to skip through songs, as there's no percentage search - this means lots and lots of dialing. I used to have a DEH-P690UB and it's a chore to use with the iPod. However, controls were very logical and accessible.

I won't list everyone to avoid, but one that you might not know is that you should avoid Sony. They stopped making a quality product after folding up the mobileES line.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
you can pick up a nice alpine for less than two bills

i have the cda 9884. works great and comes with an ipod cable