Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2013 Stock (nonNav or nonJBL) head unit with Sirius XM satellite radio

Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
FawkQ is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Air Force: MCpl - Avionics Technician
FawkQ's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Stock (nonNav or nonJBL) head unit with Sirius XM satellite radio

After searching TW for basically an entire day, wondering if it is possible for the 2012 and 2013 folks without the Nav / JBL option to keep their stock HU but still have Sirius / XM radio... But without getting that lame little second receiver thingy for sat radio, I finally got the answer!

So to all the newer Taco owners who like the stock look that want satellite radio, go here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...een-radio.html

Offered by: http://www.vaistech.com/site/sl3sat.php

I found lots of other make shift / very creative ways, but this seems the most efficient / fool proof!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Tiny Member
andyt11 is on a distinguished road
andyt11's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at this at the weekend too. I'm wondering if it will do the same thing for a little less loot...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-SIR...-/160432611372
Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Tiny Member
andyt11's Tacoma Gallery
it does include the antenna.

Heres a thing though, why would I buy this...

http://www.vaistech.com/site/sl3sat.php

over this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-SIR...-/160432611372 or this http://www.tss-radio.com/siriusxm-ra...icles-ty1.html

whats the difference?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Rojgonz is on a distinguished road
Rojgonz's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody installed the unit from ebay successfully?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Sparky295 is on a distinguished road
Sparky295's Tacoma Gallery
XM radio 2013 tacoma w/out Nav/JBL

I have found a XM kit from Toyota of McDonough. On there web site they have a kit and direction. The kit only took 1/2 hr to install
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Gerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerrrr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeremy
Gerrrr's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, did you order the McDonough kit? I was here to see if anyone had tried it. Did you put the antenna under the moulding as the instructions say or leave it under the dash?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Yes,
I had to take the top of the glove box out .It only has 2 10mm srews and then wire tied it the round support bar. I also went Auto zone and bought a set the plastic pry bars to get the dash apart.
You also need to make sure as it says to have the - battery unhooked you are working around the dash air bag sensor.

Once installed XM come for week before the unit needed to be set up through XM
Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
OldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chuck
OldChuck's Tacoma Gallery
Installed VAIS and new front speakers

Just got the VAIS installed for Sirius and installed two JL C2 690TX speakers in the front doors. Wanted a starting place and the sound of the JL's are a 100% better then stock. The stock speakers are pathetic looking. About like most factory base speakers. So far, I like it. The VAIS is is a plug and play and interfaces flawlessly with the factory touch screen. The Sirius comes up just like it was made from the factory. Had some help and ran the included antennae up through the factory middle break light on the roof and it looks factory. Don't know if I will stay with just the front speaker upgrade but will live with it for awhile till I decide what to do next. Anyway, for a little over $500 got Sirius and great sound...
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
Tiny Member
andyt11's Tacoma Gallery
Sparky can you post info on the kit you bought?
Old 08-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #12
Part number for XM for trucks w/out jul or Nav

All
below is the link to the instructions and the Part number

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/017..._Radio.pdf?525

00016-00076 Toyota and Scion XM Satellite Radio Tuner Kit 2013
Southeast Toyota
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
sr5va is on a distinguished road
sr5va's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I literally just ordered this ebay kit without thinking, I really hope it works. I should be getting it tomorrow, I'll let you guys know what happens!

The only thing I'm scared about, is it says AM+SAT button online, but I have the touch screen sr5 without jb/entune, so hopefully it works either way.
Chris
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Somebody
OutRider is on a distinguished road

Name: RJ
OutRider's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, let us know if the ebay kit works. I have an XM Onyx installed but do not like all the wires. I looked at the XM SkyDock - kind of cool...
Old 08-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #15
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
will this work if the truck has a factory "shark fin" ? or do we have to install the kit supplied antenna?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
sr5va's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRider View Post
Yes, let us know if the ebay kit works. I have an XM Onyx installed but do not like all the wires. I looked at the XM SkyDock - kind of cool...

I don't think it works. I installed the the isimplegate, and it shows the SAT in the touch screen, and when I plug in the tuner absolutely nothing happens.

It only displays channels 1-10 and just displays CH UNAVAILABLE. It doesn't do anything.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #17
OldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of lightOldChuck is a glorious beacon of light
I understand cost but the Vais work !!!

I know that cost is important however, the Vais unit interfaces flawlessly with the touch screen. It is a plug and play interface with no unsightly wires or need to remove anything to get to it. There may be others' out there that do as well but I don't know of any at the moment. The custom audio shop that I went to for information said that the Vais is the best out there for plug and play interface. It was recommended on several forums and I could not be happier. Around $300 but works like factory....
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
sr5va's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChuck View Post
I know that cost is important however, the Vais unit interfaces flawlessly with the touch screen. It is a plug and play interface with no unsightly wires or need to remove anything to get to it. There may be others' out there that do as well but I don't know of any at the moment. The custom audio shop that I went to for information said that the Vais is the best out there for plug and play interface. It was recommended on several forums and I could not be happier. Around $300 but works like factory....

Assuming the correct isimple gateway and a sxv200i tuner works, which is also a simple plug and play, and has the exact same antenna as the vaistech, why not pay $130 versus $300
Old 08-31-2013, 04:11 AM   #19
SR5, I agree if that unit will work as well as the Vais then I would say buy it. When I started checking out a hassle free way to continue the Sirius contract I had in my 2012 Mustang, the only plug and play that I heard great things about was the Vais. I am very happy with is and it is a flawless, OEM like interface but if there is something as good and cheaper then I would look closely at it...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
sr5va's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChuck View Post
SR5, I agree if that unit will work as well as the Vais then I would say buy it. When I started checking out a hassle free way to continue the Sirius contract I had in my 2012 Mustang, the only plug and play that I heard great things about was the Vais. I am very happy with is and it is a flawless, OEM like interface but if there is something as good and cheaper then I would look closely at it...

I received the correct isimple, as well as the SXV200i tuner, but unfortunately I also had to order a specialty convertor plug to adapt the two for an extra $29 shipped.

I'm away for this upcoming week, but after this week I'll take some pics of the install, assuming it all goes well as well as a little mini guide on the installation. I have very high hopes of it working, as the old isimple I had displayed the SAT menu etc, it's just it couldn't pull correctly from the SCC1 Tuner.

All in all my cost for all parts were $157.00 shipped.