Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio roof mount

Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
CB Radio roof mount

I've been trying to plan a CB radio installation for my '13. The dash is very busy, and I really don't like the idea of working it into the hump/armrest. I got to thinking, what if I hung the radio on the ceiling, directly above the armrest? I believe I've seen truckers with radios above.

This would have a couple advantages, such as not needing to run the antenna cable from a roof-mount NMO down through an A-pillar. It would also easily accomodate a second radio, which would be a nice option to have- I may wish to have both a CB and a ham.

Has anyone tried this? Or, can anyone direct me to a clever install that actually looks clean?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
mr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr2mki is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a vague sample:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...x/CIMG0101.jpg

However, in the '13 Taco, that space is occupied by some dome lights and sunglasses boxes, so I was thinking the most natural thing would be to scoot it back a foot or so and rotate towards the driver.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
if you do it, you go to have to mount it to the inside of the roof. the liner is not strong enough , and if it is, i don’t think it would hold up over time with bumps and all in the road making it move a little/bounce.

trucks do it, but they also have a lot more roof up there and some of the truck are made with a spot up there for a CB.

edit: i see your other post of it done in an FJ. looks good, you could ditch the sunglass holder and stuff and put it there. either way i don’t you can just mount it to the head liner, you going to need to go past it and to the inside of the roof, and mount it to some metal. and if so you maybe limited on the way you can mount it easily. idk what the under side of roof looks like.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
You are right, mounting to the cieling would have gotchas. Browsing and another idea just hit me. I sort of like this:

But the faceplate is kind of an awkward angle. Has anyone ever tried the detachable faceplate deal, mounted inside one of the sunglasses holders? Then you've got a flip-down faceplate, and if you use the front one it hangs just about vertical.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
yeah. and that looks god. idk how you would mount it like that though. or what model CB that is.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Frogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrogsauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: On EOS duty
Name: Chris
Frogsauce's Tacoma Gallery
You would probably need to detach the faceplate if you are going on the roof or overhead.

Another option is in the center console: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tall-pics.html

Here is a faceplate removal option: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...r-console.html

And here is a bunch of other options: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ts-see-em.html

I have a cobra 75, so there is no large unit to deal with. Mine is mounted under the drivers seat. Link in sig.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
SoCaltaco65, is that your setup? Do you have more information? That's exactly the sort of thing I was imagining, although I might try to run the mic from the unit instead of the face plate, and put the unit maybe under a seat.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
mr2mki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503TRD View Post
I want to do this
It's slick, ain't it. I've been staring at it for a while.