Notices

Suggestions for permanent data device

Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
theallpowerfuljon is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
theallpowerfuljon's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions for permanent data device

Hey Guys,

Just finished the install of my AVH-X3500 Pioneer. Works great, except for the caveat that Pandora doesn't work over bluetooth.

I want to purchase a device specifically to sit in my glovebox and stream Pandora and for the App Mode, such as GPS, weather, etc...

Do you all have any suggestions? I can't buy a hotspot that I know of, since it needs some sort of OS to stream. And, I don't want to buy an actual cell phone and pay for a talk and text plan on top of data.

I guess that leaves something like a tablet.

Any advice?

Thanks!!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think some of the new iPods are air network capable. You might be able to get one of those with a data plan.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Thanks. I spend all day working with tech and I had no clue! I will look into the iPod thing.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
After a quick search, it appears that I was mistaken. Sorry to get your hopes up. Looks like your best bet is going to be a tablet, after all.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Ghostrider757 is a splendid one to beholdGhostrider757 is a splendid one to beholdGhostrider757 is a splendid one to beholdGhostrider757 is a splendid one to beholdGhostrider757 is a splendid one to beholdGhostrider757 is a splendid one to beholdGhostrider757 is a splendid one to behold

Ghostrider757's Tacoma Gallery
You can always use an FM tuner instead of bluetooth to stream from the phone to your stereo.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #6
Yeah. The Bluetooth streaming part works, but Pandora app / App mode does not. So, I can't browse my stations from the screen or see the cover artwork. I know I'm being picky.

I have one of those 3 year old iPad 3G's... it may be repurposed after all.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theallpowerfuljon View Post
Yeah. The Bluetooth streaming part works, but Pandora app / App mode does not. So, I can't browse my stations from the screen or see the cover artwork. I know I'm being picky.

I have one of those 3 year old iPad 3G's... it may be repurposed after all.
Pick up the Ipod/Video Cable. I used it with my Iphone 4 on my Pioneer 4300DVD. You plug the phone in and run everything off the deck.

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...interface.html
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
JayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to beholdJayAre is a splendid one to behold
JayAre's Tacoma Gallery
Nexus 7 they're pretty cheap and you can get a att or tmo version (although word is the new ones will be LTE). Or just setup your phone as a hotspot. Try the Foxfi app for android at least, not sure about apple.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Gus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGus 524 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Gus 524's Tacoma Gallery
Did you update your headunit to the latest version? Thought I read somewhere that pandora might not work if on an earlier version. Idk give it a try I guess.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
metrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmetrick1215 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Chris
metrick1215's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus 524 View Post
Did you update your headunit to the latest version? Thought I read somewhere that pandora might not work if on an earlier version. Idk give it a try I guess.

This...... received my 3500BHS yesterday and there is a card in the box that states you need to go to the Pioneer website and download the new firmware and this also applies to anyone that has an Iphone 5 or Ipods with Lightning cable..
Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj0hn View Post
Pick up the Ipod/Video Cable.
Agreed... A couple years ago when I was researching the radio I ended up buying, I called in and talked to an Alpine tech about the various bluetooth modules they offered and also asked about streaming via bluetooth.

He actually suggested just buying a tape deck and using that "because the difference in sound quality between the full speed cables and bluetooth is about the same as between a CD and a cassette."

Besides, the cables also charge the device as well, ensuring that you'll never not have tunes cuz you drained your battery.

Also, didn't Samsung just release some sort of Galaxy-esque device, that's not a phone?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
I'm going to try the firmware update I think. I originally didn't even mess with it since it said it would mess up Pandora, but Pandora doesn't even fucking work over bluetooth out of the box.