Notices

Blown Amp?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Useful Idiot
thebigsmit is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
thebigsmit's Tacoma Gallery
Blown Amp?

This issue isnt with my truck, its with my boat. I have a 2006 Sea Ray with a Clarion stereo system. It has a source unit (radio), amplifier, a sub, and about 4 speakers. I'm almost certain the amp is blown. The radio comes on but the amp it self does not. Checked every fuse, I have also confirmed there is 12v power all the way up the the amp. It just doesnt freakin turn on. Has to be blown amp? Also, when the speakers were working, they sounded very staticky and crackly.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
If you are positive that there is 12V at the wire going into the amp then do this.

Take a jumper wire and jump from the "positive" into the amp over to the "remote wire in" on the amp. Make sure you have a solid ground....if it doesn't come on then, it's prolly shot.

If it does come on with the jumper wire, then your remote wire from your deck is shot. Just find another source that comes on with the key, tap into it and run that wire into the remote wire on the amp.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a good ground? Boats are extremely difficult to get good grounds because they are mostly fiberglass. Most boat amps have to have power and ground run straight to battery.

And x2 on the remote wire. You should have 3 connections for amp power:
12v battery with its own fuse
12v remote turn on to the radio
(-) ground probably to battery.

Check all 3. Also if a speaker is grounded out or blown it is possible that it is setting your amp into protection mode and your not realizing it.

Also, replace the main amp fuse on the power line. Sometimes they appear to be good and even test good for 12v and continuity but they may be broken and not allowing any significant current to travel through thus giving a false reading for power. Check the amp itself for small fuses on it. Many amps have 2 or more fuses on the amp itself. All have to be checked. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Easy way is if you have an extra speaker and some wire, run the speaker right to the deck. If the speaker plays, bum amp or amp wiring.

Did you check the fuses on the amp and the power wire?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
ANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedANT2013taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
ANT2013taco's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely make sure you have ground to the battery. Boats are notorious for grounding issues, especially in the engine compartment. I have a Crownline and found the main ground corroded after only 2 years.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Easy way is if you have an extra speaker and some wire, run the speaker right to the deck. If the speaker plays, bum amp or amp wiring.

Did you check the fuses on the amp and the power wire?
Fuses good. Speakers wire directly to the amp. No speaker outputs on the deck.

Quote:
If you are positive that there is 12V at the wire going into the amp then do this.
I am absolutely 100 million percent sure I'm getting 12v all the way up to the amp. Literally every other piece of equipment that draws power on my boat works, so its hard to believe its the ground because they all ground back to the neg battery terminal.

Quote:
And x2 on the remote wire. You should have 3 connections for amp power:
12v battery with its own fuse
12v remote turn on to the radio
(-) ground probably to battery.
The amp is actually double fused, one 40amp near the battery and another 40amp actually inside the amp. Both are good. I will try to jump the remote after it stops raining.

I am almost certain the amp is completely shot though, the speakers were sounding very crackly and staticky right up until it just quit working.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Useful Idiot

Update: I got an extra car battery I had and wired the amp's ground, hot, and remote to the battery. It turns on. I traced it back to the remote wire on the boats wiring, it was corroded. New wire in place. Though only the right side speakers work. The deck and amp is connected via a regular L/R (red and white) audio cable. I think I screwed up some of the knobs on the amp while I was fiddling around. Anyways thanks for the help fellas.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Boom. You are welcome. Glad you got it.