1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

which focals for 1st gen?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jamey, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    jamey

jamey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    OME complete 3" lift with dakar leaf pack and AAL's Relentless fab sliders Uniden CB dynomat'd everything Focal 6" speakers 2 Kicker 10" subs JL Audio HD amp Kicker amp HID headlights LED lights in cab, bed of truck, and under hood. raptor lined bed sliders, and skids
    well i've spent the last three days reading through thread after thread of people saying xx speakers are awesome with xx being everything from sony xploads to polks etc. and after trying to figure out who actually had probably owned or at least knew about more types of speakers than the ones in their car it seems like focals are REALLY good and i'm not looking to buy twice so I think these are what i'm going to go with.

What I don't know is which type would work best in my truck. I have an 03 extra cab. I just ordered this new head unit: Alpine CDE-135BT. I'm pretty much never going to have anyone in the back seat/cargo area so I'm just worried about getting the best sound possible in the front two seats. so two speakers just in the front doors or front and rear speakers etc I would appreciate some input from knowledgable people. If an amp is necessary I don't mind buying one so please provide best rec's with my future setup.

2. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    OME complete 3" lift with dakar leaf pack and AAL's Relentless fab sliders Uniden CB dynomat'd everything Focal 6" speakers 2 Kicker 10" subs JL Audio HD amp Kicker amp HID headlights LED lights in cab, bed of truck, and under hood. raptor lined bed sliders, and skids
    Dang, no advice. I feel let down haha

3. Jul 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    jdkilroy

jdkilroy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '02 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    Hey Jamey,

I've just spent the last couple days doing custom speaker install for my 2002 Xtra-cab. Doing a write-up on the modifications to door panel and door itself to accommodate 6.5" round speakers that are a little over 2.5" deep.

Don't know if that will be helpful to you but I'll post in this section soon.

As far as speaker selection, you are doing well with the Focals. To realize their potential you would want to use a separate amp. Look for a 4 channel amp with ~ 100 watts RMS per channel. That way you can add the two rear speakers sometime or you could bridge 2 of the channels and run a nice 8" sub. You might want to look for a used amp, they're everywhere.

You will end up with great sound up front without the rear speakers and you can add those later to make it even better. I would do a two way component speaker system for the front. That will sound significantly better than a single two way speaker mounted down low where the OEM speakers are mounted.

Run the wires for everything you might add later (including the sub) while you have things apart.
    I use a good quality, shielded Ethernet cable to run signal between the head unit and the amp. Keeps it clean and quiet. Just use decent RCA connectors.
    ethernet_cable.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. Jul 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Cannot go wrong woth Focal. I ran the K2Ps for a couple of years, and they sounded great. If you go to the higher end comps, it is a 3" or better mounting depth IIRC. Make sure your baffles are thick enough.

5. Jul 3, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4
    Focal's are a good brand. You really can't go wrong with any of the top brands. I am a JL Audio fan, just not a fan of their price.

I just purchased this truck and have JL Audio 6.5" component set going in front, 6.5's going in the rear door. 2 Kicker 8's for behind the back seat and a Pioneer 4300DVD running everything. Just need an amp, my last one won't fit anywhere because it is to large.

Edit: Just read your whole post....

- Decent choice on head unit...you will be limited with expansion by the only one set of pre-amp outputs.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  6. Jul 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    Uhh ohh, what does that mean?

The local audio store offered me a set of the k2 6.5's at $498 I looked on eBay, Amazon, crutch field and this beat their prices. Any where cheaper? I guess my plan is to do the k2's then eventually add in amp (looking for used jk 500/4 or similar) and I'd like to have a sub in back and components as well. I'd like the sub to be as hidden as possible. Also want to do some sound proofing. Been looking at the showdown website but still not really getting it and it seems like its going to be really expensive

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jul 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    going to get to focal K2's tomorrow!

Lucked out and picked up a JL Audio HD600/4 for $400 bucks today. It was less than a year old and not a scratch. even had the original box. 150 rms isn't to much for the K2's is it?

I also ordered the 36 sqft dynamat kit for 180 shipped to hawaii (that was the deciding factor) and Im looking to source out some CCF and MLV locally to save on the insane shipping that Im sure the showdown website would cost me.

what are the recommended subs for a 1st gen extra cab? guess I'll bridge two of the channels and throw 300 to a sub. 8", 10"? I want it to look as clean and take up as least space as possible while still sounding good.

what gauge wires should I use for rewiring the amp and all the speakers when i get ready to put in?

Products Discussed in

To Top