Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)

Old 07-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)

Not a lot of info on installing speakers in first gens so I thought I would post some pics for others that may be looking for some ideas on how to do this.

My goal with the install was to maintain a stock appearance. For orientation, these pictures are taken doing the work to the driver's side door panel.

Remove the door panels and the stock speakers and the plastic mounting pieces. (Depending on what you are planning to install, you may want to hang on to the connector to use with your new speakers.)

The inside of the door panel needed to be modified to allow round speakers to fit behind the grille.
1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-1-overview_inside_panel.jpg

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-2-inside_grille.jpg

Here I've done some initial trimming and marked the rest of the material to be removed. I used a Dremmel tool with a cut-off blade and a sharp chisel to remove the excess plastic.

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-3-marked_out.jpg

In this picture the trimming is complete and the 6.5" round speaker fits.
I glue 1/4" closed cell foam strips to the edge of the speaker flange as spacers to prevent the cone from contacting the door panel as it moves outward. I also glued some small pieces of foam in to cover the parts of the stock grille that are not in front of the speaker.

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-4-trimming_complete.jpg

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-5-speaker_fits.jpg

Using 3/4" MDF, I made a set of mounting rings that serve to allow mounting the speaker to the door itself and to position it right behind the stock grille. Some trimming will happen later to allow the the mounting piece to conform to the elevation changes of the inner door face.

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-6-mounting_ring-1.jpg

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-7-mounting_ring-2.jpg

Need to make marks on the pieces while they are in position to maintain correct position while gluing up.
1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-8-glue_it_up.jpg

I needed to trim a little of the inner door skin off to allow the speaker frame to clear the door skin without touching. (passenger side door pictured)

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-11-door_cut.jpg

I did not want to use the stock tweeter grill as it is too small and restrictive. Removal is pretty easy after removing the stock tweeter.
1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-9-tweeter-1.jpg

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-10-tweeter-2.jpg

I will need to glue the new tweeter in place due to what I am installing and the nature of the door panel. You may be able to do something different.

1st Gen Custom Speaker Install (Front Doors)-12-gluing_tweeter.jpg

I will add to this thread as I complete the install. Going to be a few days for this glue to completely set up.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
96tacosx is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
96tacosx's Tacoma Gallery
I like this good write up so far looking to do something similar in my truck when the funds are there
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
JMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jack
JMaberry's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd!