Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Help Me Help You - Sub Box

Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Help Me Help You - Sub Box

DISCLAIMER: These measurements DO NOT account for wood thickness!!!!!

These measurements were tested with a template that I have made to include the seat up, the seat folding down and while down.

My goal for this thread was to get solid numbers out for anyone to use and I feel I have done that.

If someone would like to, please take these measurements and transcribe onto cardboard and double check me....can't ever be to sure!

The one and only thing that is not mentioned here is the seat brace which if you were going to build a box all the way across at a 7" bottom depth, you would have to build around. Using these numbers though, you could easily build a sub box with a sub on each side and the amp rack in the middle avoiding the brace!

Top Depth - 3 5/8"
Bottom Depth - 7"
Back - 18.1/2" Split into 6 1/8 above brace, 2 5/8 in front of brace and 9 3/4 below brace
Width - Total 48 3/4 Speaker box - 29 3/4, Amp rack - 19"

The design....

Now, I am using Kicker CompC8's that have a 4 11/16 mounting depth which I have plenty of room with the subs center mounted at 5" from the bottom. Honestly, I think there is close to another inch of mounting depth clearance at that height.

Another factor, my subs have a 1/2" mount surface and there is PLENTY of room for the seats to fold and the subs to play...no concerns at all. I really wish I would have taken a photo to show the template behind the seat folded up and down.

Lastly, someone grab some cardboard and an Exacto and test my numbers. I would love to know if I need to correct this.

Cheers!

Speakers Adapter Templates

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...templates.html
Attached Thumbnails
Help Me Help You - Sub Box-speaker-box.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Looks cool. I don't think your doing anything wrong, but I'm not a mod, so...

Anyway, are you looking to get a template out there so you can build your own box, as well as for other people who want to build their own sub boxes?

I guess I got kinda lost in what this is for.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly. I want to get a correct template out there for everyone to use.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
No one willing to help out?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #5
Harkonnendog is on a distinguished road

Harkonnendog's Tacoma Gallery
I'm clueless but think it is a great idea. Looked for a build ur own sub box mod and was shocked that there wasn't one. A step by step with pics guide would be awesome... & necessary, for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what one if my boxes looked like. Csnt remember the exact numbers. Had 2 flat kicker 12s stuffed in there.only problem was trying to get the position of the cut out just right. Cause depending on magnet size and depth, it could hit that notched part in the wood. Fiber glass back would be more ideal for this truck. Now I got rid of the flat subs(cause the bass wouldnt hit low enough for my liking) and got two 10s. The box I built for that comes right up to the support bar. Think it was 13? Inches tall to that point. Im going to end up stuffing one more 10 in the box in a few months, just becauss I have room! Lol
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #7

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkonnendog View Post
I'm clueless but think it is a great idea. Looked for a build ur own sub box mod and was shocked that there wasn't one. A step by step with pics guide would be awesome... & necessary, for me.
So was I. That is why I am trying to compile some solid numbers just for the depth, height and width; mainly depth. The dividers to create the actual sub enclosures can be adjusted to fit different volumes dependent on someone's needs. For my 8's, the picture I drew above works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
Thats what one if my boxes looked like. Csnt remember the exact numbers. Had 2 flat kicker 12s stuffed in there.only problem was trying to get the position of the cut out just right. Cause depending on magnet size and depth, it could hit that notched part in the wood. Fiber glass back would be more ideal for this truck. Now I got rid of the flat subs(cause the bass wouldnt hit low enough for my liking) and got two 10s. The box I built for that comes right up to the support bar. Think it was 13? Inches tall to that point. Im going to end up stuffing one more 10 in the box in a few months, just becauss I have room! Lol
Well run out to your truck, take a few measurements and upload it here!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcsez2000 View Post
Straight from the website where I bought my box

This listing is for one dual Vehicle Specific box.
This box holds two 10" woofers.
L: 49"
H: 18"
D: 7.5" bottom depth
D: 3.5" top depth
Mounting depth: 5.5"
Cutout diameter: 9 1/16"

1.20 Cu Ft Air Space

Awesome! This is a great start!

Do those depths allow you to fold the seats down with rubbing the box? Were you able to put the box in without removing the rear seat?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Simon SEZ
slcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslcsez2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Simon
slcsez2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj0hn View Post
Awesome! This is a great start!

Do those depths allow you to fold the seats down with rubbing the box? Were you able to put the box in without removing the rear seat?

It fits behind the seat in my double cab. You do have to remove the plastic bins to make room and hammer down some of the brackets but that is with any of these boxes. The seats go up and down and lock in place still. I ended up cutting the box in half and only using the one side for the drivers side as I still wanted to have some storage area on the passenger side. Yes you can put it in without removing the rear seat...fits very tight though so you will have to wiggle it in...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #11

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It fits behind the seat in my double cab. You do have to remove the plastic bins to make room and hammer down some of the brackets but that is with any of these boxes. The seats go up and down and lock in place still. I ended up cutting the box in half and only using the one side for the drivers side as I still wanted to have some storage area on the passenger side. Yes you can put it in without removing the rear seat...fits very tight though so you will have to wiggle it in...

Beautiful!

I'll try and get something drawn up this week and post it up on here. I'll try and use Google Draw (3D Design) to get something out there.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #12

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
One more thing to figure out...those depth dimensions.

Are those going to be the length of the board up top or the actual depth from the back of the box to foremost point on the front etc.

For example, if 3.5" is the length of the board, then you would add 1.5" for the thickness of the back piece plus the thickness of the front piece yielding a total of 5" from back to front...if you can picture what I mean.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #13

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Also,

Does your box butt up to the brace running across the back of the truck or does it fit around it? Meaning, does it have the notch that is drawn into my drawing to accomodate the brace?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
bobin will become famous soon enoughbobin will become famous soon enough
bobin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Straight from the website where I bought my box

This listing is for one dual Vehicle Specific box.
This box holds two 10" woofers.
L: 49"
H: 18"
D: 7.5" bottom depth
D: 3.5" top depth
Mounting depth: 5.5"
Cutout diameter: 9 1/16"
1.20 Cu Ft Air Space
Can i use this measure to build the box for my 06 regular cab with 1 10 inch shallow mount sub and 2 6x9 infinitive kapa in the same box. Is this enough cu ft for all of these

Thank you
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
thie-trickster
ducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud of

Name: Chris
ducati's Tacoma Gallery
I'll take some measurements tomorrow of my box. Its the same as your artistic rendition, haha. I just built it a few days ago. All I did was take measurements and cut, everything turned out great. It only took a few hours. Most of that was getting beer.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
thie-trickster
ducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud ofducati has much to be proud of

Name: Chris
ducati's Tacoma Gallery
B in your drawing is 9 inches and A is 5 inches. The top width is 3 1/2 inches bottom on mine is 7 1/2
9+5=14
I did my notch at 4", could of probably done less but I wanted the easiest fit.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
This is a good idea. Wish more people would offer up some measurements. Be awesome to have all the popular sub boxes and specifications on one thread, with pictures would be even better. It would be helpful to a lot of people.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
ike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enough
ike3000's Tacoma Gallery
I agree this is a good idea. I bought my box from Marv and it is a 48" width if you want to use the whole back. I'll try to take some top and bottom depth measurements, but it may be hard to get accurate since it now has carpet on it.

I had to remove the plastic behind the seat. It was not causing a problem when the seat was folded up, but every time I tried to fold the seat down the plastic would rub against the sub surround pretty hard. Enough to make me concerned that it could tear the surround.

I was contemplating building it myself, but I would need to purchase a table saw and router to meet my OCD needs. Marv was a great guy to talk to and I was grateful he helped decide on other equipment. I didn't feel bad spending more money to have him build the enclosure and amp rack. He did a great job and quality is top notch. When I do decide to add another 10" then I will definitely build the box myself.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
Hmmm is on a distinguished road
Hmmm's Tacoma Gallery
Custom Sub Box in 2011 Doublecab.

I ran across this post as I am in the middle of building my own subwoofer. I checked out Mr Marv, and TacoTunes, but just didn't like something about each whether it be price or size or whatever. I am installing an entire new stereo into my doublecab. I am in the process of ripping out the old JBL system and putting on sound deadoning material. I have the back of my sub box already built and hope to make some progress today on the rest. I am installing an all Alpine system. Two amps mounted on the sub box Alpine PDX-M6 for the sub, and PDX-F4 for the speakers. It will be a tight fit fitting both of those on the box. and I realized there is a near 1 inch lip on the sub. I don't want to remove the plastic behind the seat, but will if necessary due to fit or vibration.

You are prob done by now.. although with new offspring, maybe not? heheh...

I am having a heck of a time removing all the wires to the old JBL system. I am also concerned about adapting to the steering wheel controls and the handsfree stuff, but that is yet to come.

I would love to email you if you are ok with it... Here is an email I where I can be reached.. BMaeurs@gmail.com