Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Speaker Adapter Templates

Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Speaker Adapter Templates

Ok, these are rough, but correct.

I am putting these out there for everyone to use. I hope that I don't make any one mad!

If my computer knowledge is correct, you should be able to save the files to your computer, print them out and have a template....all you would need to do is cut it out. Let's just hope nothing is compressed.

Anyway, here you go!

John T.

Front Door

Rear Door

Tweeter

Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Adapter Templates-front-door.jpg   Speaker Adapter Templates-rear-door.jpg   Speaker Adapter Templates-tweeter.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone print these out yet?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
I printed tweeter looks like it would be close in size if not correct. I already have the others cut out. May just try to modify my existing tweeter brackets but not sure yet.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtopgun515 View Post
I printed tweeter looks like it would be close in size if not correct. I already have the others cut out. May just try to modify my existing tweeter brackets but not sure yet.

Thanks for testing it out! Glad it work. I test fitted these templates and they are good, just rough around the edges.

As for modifying the stock brace, the only thing would be to add more of something. The stock brace is just a wide brace really.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
firezaky is on a distinguished road
firezaky's Tacoma Gallery
Im curious what year the speaker templates are for. Mine is A 2013 TACOMA DOUBLE CREW CAB. Also any suggestions on speaker selections? Crutchfield was very limited due to the odd size of the speakers. Any assistance would help.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
packrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Pack
packrobottom's Tacoma Gallery
unfortunately you can't just print these out.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #7
RedLantern is on a distinguished road

RedLantern's Tacoma Gallery
these templates were pretty close to mines. I just made my templates to see how close we were to compare. Just gotta make sure when you print them, make sure on your settings you're printing to select "scale to fit>FILL ENTIRE PAPER" or close to that.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
packrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shedpackrobottom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I made my own these were no were close

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
adrenalnjunky will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
adrenalnjunky's Tacoma Gallery
I made sure to create copies of my tacotunes adaptors, so I can recreate one if I need to.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
SlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
a bit off topic but... why don't people use 6x9's up front?

look at all that wasted real estate [cone area] using an adapter to fit a 6.5"

a solid 6x9 woofer [not coax] seems like such a better idea. i say not coax because of the extreme lower door placement and 80°+ off-axis.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
There is a stigma around typical 6x9's, being old tech, or even kinda "ghetto". But as you say, a good mid-woofer relies on cone area, and the 6x9 footprint should do well. Boston's old oval subs were awesome sounding. I've also heard vehicles with the old school Kicker 6x9's as subs - sounded great.

Some of it has to deal with the lack of really good component 6x9's - I know a couple of them exist, but without the demand, more speaker companies aren't going to tool up for it.

I'm sure on some big audiophile, speaker engineering level there might be some explanation as to why the shape isn't optimal, but at some point I just glaze over and just want to listen to good music, and don't care what's behind the grille anymore.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
And to answer the questions from above - the templates are the same on all the 2nd gens - unless something changed for '15 which I would doubt with the all new truck scheduled as a '16.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
SlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i think more manufacturers are coming back to component 6x9's

Morel has a new set out that is almost prohibitively expensive [Morel Tempo Ultra]

Kicker, ID, Focal, Cadence, CDT and Morel all have interesting offerings in this size
Old 09-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #14
I also have to wonder how it is on a cost basis, since so many vehicles don't have a 6x9 opening for the doors like our trucks. I see a lot more 5x7/6x8 components around though, as it is a more prolific application.

Slow - check this out if you haven't seen it - was something someone posted on a facebook audio page - high end Morel front stage install in an access cab. Too bad those Elate 3" drivers are way too cost prohibitive for a test drive. Scanspeak makes a similar dome mid @ ~$90 each. Little closer to my price range.
Attached Thumbnails
Speaker Adapter Templates-1378628_628540400502780_475262030_n.jpg   Speaker Adapter Templates-1233018_628541913835962_2140581236_o.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #15

that is exactly my plan

i am going with dayton 3" mids and vifa tweets. minidsp/6 channel amp for front stage

still looking for a 6x9 woofer. i kinda like the Cadence for midbass. i have a local shop trying to acquire them for me.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #16
Does dayton make a mid that will fit without cutting the door?

These are the old Kicker's that i'd be looking for if I were going that route
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Same reason you don't see a bowers and Wilkins not come in a circle or any other high end speaker. A circle is just a better shape for a speaker.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #18

tell that to Polk Audio http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MZXTjqL...-Mahogany.html

if you use them in the limited band [80-250Hz] for midbass they work well. more cone area = bigger piston to move air. most cars are severely lacking in "front bass" and this could help tremendously. i have heard some of the most expensive 6.5" sets [ID,Focal...] and they are really disappointing in the bass department.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Pack -not trying to start an argument - but yes, I believe that is the common conception. I guess what I'm interested in is some of the logic/theory that explains it (or doesn't).

Just because someone doesn't do something some way, doesn't mean it isn't a good way. Not a lot of people make large electrostatic speakers, but every pair of Martin Logan's I've heard were phenomenal sounding.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #20

ribbon tweeters/AMTs aren't normally in car audio installs. they can be amazing if done correctly.

the automobile is such a compromising, unforgiving and fluid environment for reproducing audio. we should consider everything out there to meet our individual goals.