Notices

Fit of DD Install

Old 07-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Voodoochild 2k9 is on a distinguished road

Marines: VMT-6
Name: Randy
Voodoochild 2k9's Tacoma Gallery
Fit of DD Install

Posted this and bumped it in another thread, but I guess it died so here it is again. I have a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS and the Metra kit in a 2012. Wires include the install harness, a PAC-SWI (going to the glove box) and a p-brake bypass. All are wired very neatly in nice tight bundles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoochild 2k9 View Post
Anyone have issues with fit? The wire bundles make it a super tight squeeze behind the Pioneer DD. I noticed that the stock radio is shallower on the bottom half than the top. Which makes sense cuz that's where it appears to be tight on the Pioneer. Anyways do you guys have any tricks up your sleeves to accommodate the wires better?

I can get it in there, but its a royal PITA. And as I put in an amp kit and the SiriusXM tuner in the future I'm afraid its only going to get tighter back there.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the XM tuner in the gap between the blower housing and center panel behind the glove box.
Your wire to the sat receiver isn't going to be substantial. The RCA cables for the amp are going to be tight. See if you can get cables with 90-degree fittings, might help.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
I installed the XM tuner in the gap between the blower housing and center panel behind the glove box.
Your wire to the sat receiver isn't going to be substantial. The RCA cables for the amp are going to be tight. See if you can get cables with 90-degree fittings, might help.
Did you use the Metra or Scosche kit? I'm wondering if the fit may be better on the Scosche? Only got the Metra for the gloss black finish.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've got the Metra kit (in an '08, textured satin black).
But both kits are going to have a similar fit... they both put the HU in the same place.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Its definitely get tight in there depending on all that you want to put in. I've run into a couple of issues and PITAs also.

o You may run into a cable connection (RCA, AUX, USB) that runs right into the crossbar behind the radio. I was using an AUX cable that ran right into that bar, had to update to a shorter shanked cable to clear. As mentioned, may also need 90 degree shanks on some cables. Note that you can buy 90 degree RCA adapters as necessary.
o You'll need to "place" some components to the sides of the HU as you are pushing the HU into place. I used some string (cheap packaging twine) to push/pull stuff around since you can't put you hand back there as the HU goes into place.
o I put the bypass relay on the left side of the HU, the HD Radio module up into the space behind the HU where the winshield defrost air Y's out, and the SWI in the space to the left of the glove box.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Wow sounds like you got creative...may be doing the string suggestion myself.

Wish car manufacturers would realize no one wants to listen to their crappy radios and make it easy to accommodate an aftermarket setup.

Well I'll count myself lucky that the unit has HD built in.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

Toyota used to be worse. Buddy had an '84 and the dash was not deep enough to install an aftermarket unit with a CD player.
Late 80s to mid 90s Chevy S10s were just as bad. The dash adapter kits made the HU stick out from the dash by over an inch... and it was STILL tight behind them.

Manufacturers have been trying to improve, and you have to admit that today's standard systems (even non-JBL) are MUCH better than what we got back in the 80s. Factory JBL, and even Bose systems are perfectly acceptable for the majority of buyers.

They aren't going to provide any more free space behind the dash. Free space behind the dash is wasted space that would present better as a larger (appearing) cabin.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Toyota used to be worse. Buddy had an '84 and the dash was not deep enough to install an aftermarket unit with a CD player.
Late 80s to mid 90s Chevy S10s were just as bad. The dash adapter kits made the HU stick out from the dash by over an inch... and it was STILL tight behind them.

Manufacturers have been trying to improve, and you have to admit that today's standard systems (even non-JBL) are MUCH better than what we got back in the 80s. Factory JBL, and even Bose systems are perfectly acceptable for the majority of buyers.

They aren't going to provide any more free space behind the dash. Free space behind the dash is wasted space that would present better as a larger (appearing) cabin.
Ha ha...I remember those old chevy adapters. My buddy had one in an old Camaro. It was kinda ridiculous looking!

My dad gave me his 89 Ford T-bird when I was 17 (in 97...he bought a new one that year). It had a radio that popped out with 4 coat hanger pieces. The new CD player I bought (to replace the tape deck) fit right in without an adapter at all. Just needed a wiring kit.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Having originally purchased and installed my radio with a Metra kit, I can say without a doubt that I will never do so again, and will spend a few extra bucks on a Scosche kit... It is without a doubt (IMO) a much better kit in fit and feel, and I had no issues with installing a single DIN radio in that, where I had some wiring issues with the Metra.

My $0.02