Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where's the best 12volt tap?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Where's the best 12volt tap?

I want to hardwire my Sirius radio. It's mounted in the cubby in front of the shifter.

Where's the best place to tap into a 12v source? Under the console? Behind the cigarette lighter?

I'm installing a USA-Spec adapter next week so I'll have the climate controls and stereo out if that matters. Just looking for the easiest way to route & connect the wiring.

Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigk View Post
I want to hardwire my Sirius radio. It's mounted in the cubby in front of the shifter.

Where's the best place to tap into a 12v source? Under the console? Behind the cigarette lighter?

I'm installing a USA-Spec adapter next week so I'll have the climate controls and stereo out if that matters. Just looking for the easiest way to route & connect the wiring.

Thanks!!
you can get an add-a-circuit from radio shack and nstall it in the small fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel.....................unless you wanna hardwire straight to the battery, then you'll need to go thru a grommet in the fire wall.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Could always go with one of he mini ATO add a circuits to the fuse block.

One of these little guys should work fine. You can pick them up from your local CSK for about $10
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
gdctaco is on a distinguished road
gdctaco's Tacoma Gallery
i wired mine direct to the 12V cig, that way it would turn on and off with the truck.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdctaco View Post
i wired mine direct to the 12V cig, that way it would turn on and off with the truck.
That's more what I was looking for. .....how did you get to the wiring on the receptacle?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
gdctaco is on a distinguished road
gdctaco's Tacoma Gallery
thats the tough part you have to take the dash apart, and while you have the head unit out you might aswell hook up a direct connect antennea thing. really helps with the sound, no need to set fm trasmiter stations and no interference.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
6 Double 5 3 2 1

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdctaco View Post
thats the tough part you have to take the dash apart, and while you have the head unit out you might aswell hook up a direct connect antennea thing. really helps with the sound, no need to set fm trasmiter stations and no interference.
I ordered a USA SPEC pa15-toy that's the whole reason to hook up the 12v while I'm at it. The FM transmitter sound is pretty crappy
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Look at the item I posted. Pull the ACC fuse and put that in its place with the fuse and the fuse for what you will be running. You don't splice wires that way and it turns on and off with the the radio and accessories. And you don't have to pull the whole dash apart. I put one on the FJ to power my CB.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
6 Double 5 3 2 1

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
Look at the item I posted. Pull the ACC fuse and put that in its place with the fuse and the fuse for what you will be running. You don't splice wires that way and it turns on and off with the the radio and accessories. And you don't have to pull the whole dash apart. I put one on the FJ to power my CB.
That's not to bad an idea. BUT I'm no electronics guru.......so don't lauigh!

Where do I tie the ground wire in?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
The TW 1%
Quote:
That's not to bad an idea. BUT I'm no electronics guru.......so don't lauigh!

Where do I tie the ground wire in?
Find any bolt that ties into the chassis crimp a lug onto the wire and secure it there . On the FJ I pulled down the center console and switch panel and attached it there. I'll get some pics tomorrow and post them up if it helps.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
You can look at my signature below for the GPS hardwire, should be similar to what you are accomplishing. It's no treat, but at least this prepares you.

KC's product would probably be a lot faster/easier
Old 02-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
6 Double 5 3 2 1

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
You can look at my signature below for the GPS hardwire, should be similar to what you are accomplishing. It's no treat, but at least this prepares you.

KC's product would probably be a lot faster/easier
Nice write up!!! That gave me some ideas. I decided to go with adding a 12v receptacle like you did......but what kept you from splicing into the power wires behind the stereo? I don't REALLY want to disassemble my truck quite that far
Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
That was a no-go. The fuses by the steering wheel are thos new gen shorty fuses. I Just tried.
Did you use the Mini ATO's or regular ATO's?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
mneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nice

mneuls's Tacoma Gallery
I used an add a fuse for my piaa lights, I have a few spare spots on my fuseblock where there was accessory power, but no fuse in there. I used the ATO add a circut product the same as KC used. worked fine.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
what kept you from splicing into the power wires behind the stereo?
I'm not very electrically adventurous. I knew that I wanted my power exactly like how the cig lighter works, so went straight to the source.

More than anything though, i really had no clue that the area behind the cig lighter was considered Fort Knox, and I got far enough where it was me vs. truck and I was going to win.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
6 Double 5 3 2 1

thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to Chickenmunga & Kilted Chicken!!!!

The add a circuit & the GPS wiring info worked great!

Got my Sirius hardwired to the stereo & to the 12v.

Thanks for you guys hard work to make mine ALOT easier!

Rep to you both!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #17
Nuggety

Post a pic if you can!

Products Discussed in this Thread