Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Trying to put stock navigation in where there currently isnt..

Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Gumpit is on a distinguished road

Name: Randy
Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
Trying to put stock navigation in where there currently isnt..

I bought a 2013 Double cab automatic 2wd 4cyl. SR5 which comes with am/fm/bluetooth only. They told me I couldnt get Navigation in this model. WHY NOT? Do you mean to tell me the "LIMITED" which I believe has the NAVIGATION ENTUNE is completely different? Why wouldnt that radio be able to be swapped right in? Does anyone have pics of a 2013 with factory Navigation. Pics of the front and back to compare it to the one I have. Or a plug and play unit that has no need for any modifications other than remove and replace with maybe a plug and play adaptor already wired so the steering wheel controls work. I realize I would need antenns for the NAV. I DONT CARE ABOUT SATELITE RADIO. Thanks Randy
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
JohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnWJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JohnWJ's Tacoma Gallery
the short answer is that the entunes has a different wiring harness. Have a look at this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...r-non-jbl.html
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
919motoring is a splendid one to behold919motoring is a splendid one to behold919motoring is a splendid one to behold919motoring is a splendid one to behold919motoring is a splendid one to behold919motoring is a splendid one to behold919motoring is a splendid one to behold
Name: Shaun
919motoring's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpit View Post
I bought a 2013 Double cab automatic 2wd 4cyl. SR5 which comes with am/fm/bluetooth only. They told me I couldnt get Navigation in this model. WHY NOT? Do you mean to tell me the "LIMITED" which I believe has the NAVIGATION ENTUNE is completely different? Why wouldnt that radio be able to be swapped right in? Does anyone have pics of a 2013 with factory Navigation. Pics of the front and back to compare it to the one I have. Or a plug and play unit that has no need for any modifications other than remove and replace with maybe a plug and play adaptor already wired so the steering wheel controls work. I realize I would need antenns for the NAV. I DONT CARE ABOUT SATELITE RADIO. Thanks Randy
Hey Randy,
When you say regular radio? Do you mean the standard radio or standard 6.1" non entune?

Shaun
Old 07-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
I just want a radio with am/fm/BT and Navigation. I am not sure what the Entune gives you but I probably dont need it.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919motoring View Post
Hey Randy,
When you say regular radio? Do you mean the standard radio or standard 6.1" non entune?

Shaun

This is what I have. The 57053 radio. I want NAVIGATION and the steering controls to work as well as Bluetooth... Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to put stock navigation in where there currently isnt..-57053.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
No...me no have no more lemon pledge
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Completely different systems...not just plug and play
Entune unit has a sub and amp running with the jbl system
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #7

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
I am not an audiophile. I don't care about upgrading the radio sound. The way the stock one sounds is fine. I just want to have Navigation,bluetooth and my steering wheel controls still working am/fm is fine. I don't need SAT. . Any thoughts?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
yea but if you want to retain the stock unit working with the nav you need to run the jbl amp and do a bunch of new wiring to get it to power up...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a non JBL radio with NAV that will work?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
I see you can make the backup camera show on the radio. Is there a way to run a GPS into the AUX jack or through Bluetooth somehow and get it to show on the screen?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
in order to get anything to display on a screen b/t nor an auxillary 3.5mm jack can do. You would have to find a way to hook up a/v cables to the headunit. Even then you still won't be able to control the navigation. Might as well accept it for what it is. If you want nav buy a nav unit or a tom tom.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #12

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
So the ONLY factory radio that will have Navigation is the JBL Entune unit? Is there any aftermarket radios that will have NAV and Bluetooth and still work with factory steering wheel controls?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there a non JBL radio with NAV that will work?
Not OEM. If you want in-dash nav, you'll need to go aftermarket, but that's not going to give you steering wheel controls.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So the ONLY factory radio that will have Navigation is the JBL Entune unit? Is there any aftermarket radios that will have NAV and Bluetooth and still work with factory steering wheel controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Not OEM. If you want in-dash nav, you'll need to go aftermarket, but that's not going to give you steering wheel controls.
not fully true...they sell the modules for it.
unless they havent made one for the newer truck yet
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Newlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
OK I am going to try my best to point you in the right direction....

You need a aftermarket head unit ok tons of choices

My favorite and have used for years : Pioneer Avic Series. I believe the newest is a 810bt (could be wrong)

Then you're going to need a dash kit and wiring harness. Both of those you can get for free from ordering from someone like Crutchfield.com or Sonicelectronix.com I have ordered from both and both top notch customer service. Sonicelectronix is a little cheaper though.

Then you're going to need a steering wheel adapter kit. an axxis aswc is what I used. Works great and ordered from sonicelectronix.

Now I am making an assumption here. But since you asked about BT or aux displaying a nav screen. You are going to need someone reputable to install the new radio and steering wheels controls.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #16

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
module?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #17

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Now I currently do not have nor use an indash nav unit. I do however have the pioneer avh-x3500bhs . It has bt, xm radio, dvd, rear view cam, pandora, All the bells and whistles minus the nav for less than 400.00. Now for another 3-400.00 you can get the add on nav unit. Or if you have an iphone you can use app radio mode on it. And it works like a charm.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #18

Gumpit's Tacoma Gallery
So if I go to a reputable installer. They should be able to get me everything I want in an aftermarket radio? I just need a simple radio without too many sub menus. I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. Are there specific links to some radios I could check out or just see what the installer is familiar with first and choose from there?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
not fully true...they sell the modules for it.
unless they havent made one for the newer truck yet
Assuming he doesn't currently have it.
He'll need the PAC adapter and the proper steering wheel trim... maybe a different spiral cable and harness from the column to the stereo....

Short story, and I really really hate to be an ass and say this, but we've all been in the same boat at one time or another.
"Should have spent a little more time looking at the options and ordered the truck you wanted, rather than accept the truck the dealer had and assume you could install what you wanted."

I made that mistake on my Tundra, and ended up spending a lot of time and money adding options that came with the Limited, but fortunately, I was able to do everything I wanted. I didn't make that mistake with my '06 Silverado... that bitch was loaded to the hilt.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #20

Newlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So if I go to a reputable installer. They should be able to get me everything I want in an aftermarket radio? I just need a simple radio without too many sub menus. I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. Are there specific links to some radios I could check out or just see what the installer is familiar with first and choose from there?

You tell me what you want in a radio specifically. And I will point you to some links.

However I am going to for warn you cheap and nav units do not go hand in hand unless you get an older nav unit that is outdated. and maps cost a lot.