1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TacoFry, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    TacoFry

TacoFry [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey,
    I have a 2012 Tacoma and wanted to add the steering wheel control buttons to my truck. Has anyone done this or sourced a location to get the oem ones?

Thanks

2. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Would have to just buy a new steering wheel that has the buttons, as well as the wiring that connects to your HU...

3. Jul 12, 2013 at 4:29 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    I looked into this also, but it would require you to buy a clockspring.

If you do it, post up how you did it. I might take another look at that route.

4. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    t_e

t_e Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    miami,fl
    For older trucks you need steering wheel with controls and new clock spring. Wiring is there as long as its a pre runner in older models. After a certain year they started using the same clock spring in all trucks, guessing it was cheaper. Best bet is unplug your battery and pull off the airbag and see if you have the open port to plug into your clock spring.

5. Jul 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    TacoFry

TacoFry [OP] New Member

Member:
    The wiring is there from my stereo to the steering column, I was told by someone that the clock spring was already there, since it was the same one that serves the cruise control switches. I looked online and four the switches for like $300, but that is a bit steep for a nice to have

Products Discussed in

To Top