Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Learn from my Mistakes

Old 07-29-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
Learn from my Mistakes

First.. THANKS to everyone that shared information on removal, wiring and other tips on installing a HU in my Taco.

Installed new HU, sub and amp in my 2013 Taco. I was unsure of what install kit to use so I purchased both (Scosche and Metra.)

Pro and cons on Install kits

Metra:
Pros:
Color of plastic was closer to factory
Snaps held better

Cons:
Plastic radio mounts
Too much space on the sides and top. Even for a 7 inch screen!
Metra tells you to cut and add some plastic to the sides

Scosche:

Pros:
Metal brackets
Better looking fit
Zero cutting of the plastic

Cons:
Flat black color (I know this is "in" now, but I probably will paint it)
Metal brackets scratched the shit of my dash (yeah, my fault but have to blame someone)

Overall both kits could use some improvements. I may try filling in the sides of the Metra and see how it looks. Nothing to lose but time.

Ok... My advise. TAPE OFF ALL SIDES OF YOU DASH AS YOU MAY SCRATCH IT UP LIKE I DID. I did use my heat gun to soften the dash and used a scotch bright pad to mold the plastic. Not perfect, but looks much better (see pictures.) After a couple of days, I was getting frustrated squeezing in all the wires and the metal brackets scratched the dash. Should have had beer first......

The install took me about 20 hours total and only 4 beers.

HARDWARE:
  • Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD
  • Clarion SRQ1722S Speakers (cheap, but sound nice)
  • Metra ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
  • Clarion Mobile Electronics XC1410 (Class D amp)
  • Soundstream USB-8A 8" Powered Subwoofer

BASIC amp (under drivers seat) and sub is under the passenger seat. No alterations to seat required! Before you trash the amp/sub, I'm 56 and just want a little low end base. Not wanting to shake the neighbors houses when I pass by.

Notice the back of the radio.. I added right angle RCA connections to help with the space issue.

The Bluetooth on the HU works great and the Pandora interface is nice! I also get free traffic reports. All my steering wheel controls work with no programming. Plug an play with the Metra adapter.

Using the information found here, I also added the backup camera to my HU. Picture is OK. I also tried an aftermarket camera and the video was MUCH better. So it seems to be a cheap camera for the crappy picture.

Thanks again for everyone help and support... Love this place!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Learn from my Mistakes-metra.jpg   Learn from my Mistakes-scosche.jpg   Learn from my Mistakes-scratched.jpg   Learn from my Mistakes-fixed-scratched.jpg   Learn from my Mistakes-backofradio.jpg  

Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
were you able to retain the usb/aux? im guessing bluetooth phone controls went away, but does the new HU have that capability separately of what came OEM in the truck?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
FYI that for normal "USB" nothing special that is, you can retain the Toyota USB port in the dash with a part number from Crutchfield.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
Correct.. Crutchfield was back-ordered and I found the USB adapter on fleebay. I'm also adding a second USB connector using a flush mount USB cable (Amazon,) and will cut a blank next to the current USB for a second connection.

Bluetooth is really doing away with the need for USB.... Unless you drink the apple cool-aid and then your stuck with using a high dollar cable for that iPhone or other iCrap.

OK... I do like my iPad....
Old 07-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Can you retain the factory usb and aux port with the part your talking about you ordered off of ebay? If so what is the part? I'm getting ready to replace my HU and want to retain the factory USB/Aux port if possible.