Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kenwood excelon?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
PeterT is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt, 101st Abn Div. / 173 Abn Div.
Name: Pete
PeterT's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood excelon?

Looking to get a new head unit, reviews on this looks good, anyone use this or have suggestions?

I have an 09 access can stock speakers but looking to upgrade

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX7...ts%7c6-channel
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
I'll give a to this unit... always enjoyed using Kenwood & Alpine products over Pioneer and other brands.

And for a personal recommendation, I'd suggest the Scosche dash kit over the metra one... it's much more solid than the Metra kit
Old 08-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. No NAV though
Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you do.....just don't get the DNX690. It's the slowest piece of crap on the face of the planet. It's seriously a bad joke. I played with one at Car Toys yesterday.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX6...avf=N&skipvs=T
Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Tommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tom
Tommiet's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed the 890... I'm happy!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Whatever you do.....just don't get the DNX690. It's the slowest piece of crap on the face of the planet. It's seriously a bad joke. I played with one at Car Toys yesterday.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX6...avf=N&skipvs=T

I forget that there's Car Toys in Texas... I had to double check where you were from, thinking that you were either in Oregon or Washington LOL
Old 08-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
zfox44 is on a distinguished road

zfox44's Tacoma Gallery
Always ran Alpine single-din's in previous cars. However, this (link below) is my second Pioneer double din. Mainly chosen for the sound quality and EQ qualities, but the unit itself is great. Crisp, clear screen. Very user friendly. Great price.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...H-P4400BH.aspx
Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
PeterT is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt, 101st Abn Div. / 173 Abn Div.
Name: Pete
PeterT's Tacoma Gallery
I was checking it out from my phone earlier, didnt even see that it didnt have nav. I would like to keep it under $800, but then again I have an Iphone that has nav on it too...
If I get one of these do I need an amp?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
zfox44 is on a distinguished road

zfox44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I was checking it out from my phone earlier, didnt even see that it didnt have nav. I would like to keep it under $800, but then again I have an Iphone that has nav on it too...
If I get one of these do I need an amp?
Not for the head unit you don't need an amp. I also just use my phone for NAV and have it mounted on the dash.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Tolian is on a distinguished road
Tolian's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak for the HU in the OP, but I bought an Excelon 597 single-DIN and I couldn't be less happy with it. Bluetooth takes forever to connect when I start the truck, and the call handling is inconsistent. Sometimes it goes over the speakers, sometimes it goes through the phone. Sometimes I'll be playing music through my phone's BT, and my wife will get a call and the deck will switch to her BT and then get all dorked up after her call ends.

Hopefully the higher-end double DIN in question is a much nicer unit, but personally I won't buy another Kenwood deck. I'm going back to Alpine and staying there...