1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clarion H.U. Reads AMP_GRD

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TheEVILshredder, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Aug 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    TheEVILshredder

TheEVILshredder [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Brand new kicker speakers throughout the truck, no sub yet, further improvements planned
    So I'm back again, different problem with my car audio. (Go figure) That I can't figure out so here I am. My Clarion head unit has worked for over 4 years, (had it in my old truck, and it is now currently in my new truck) the 'yota 98' V6 Tacoma Extended Cab. Here's my problem, I attempted to install my ghetto version of soundproofing the inner panels (the ones under the actual door panel, that are also plastic, where the speakers screw into) and all was well, I did one door (driver side) and started putting everything back together. Everything was fine, until one more turn of the screw driver, which made my speakers start crackling, as in the sound fading in and out. I unscrewed the whole thing, made sure the screw wasn't piercing a wire or anything, and screwed it back in just fine. The one male end on my 6.5" Kicker was touching the material I used to soundproof. Thought it may be an issue, but ignored it because stereo and sound was working just fine. Sounded better too, which was the goal. =D But a day or two goes by, it starts crackling again as I'm driving down the road. I wait a bit, as it continues. I then kicked the panel, hoping to alleviate the problem, which I did momentarily. The next time I start my truck I get the message, AMP_GRD on my head unit. No sound whatsoever is playing. So I again take apart the driver side panel, check all my connections, all is well and still reads AMP_GRD. The head unit itself turns on everytime. So if it were a ground issue, it wouldn't be even getting power would it? I took apart the dash, checked all my splices and wires were fine. Reset the head unit. No help. AMP_GRD. I've tried just about everything I can think of along with my buddies help (both being mechanics, one works on boat engines and the latter and another was employed at Napa.) And nothing has fixed the problem. I have heard of a "Fuse ground" as well, I'm not sure where my ground actually leads. But there is a wire going into the fuse box, under a fuse on each side. ( I believe it used to wire in a Sirius radio) But I just don't know how to fix this. =( It's driving me insane been driving around for about a month with no radio. =/ Any help would be greatlyyyyy appreciated. I knew the first place to go when I myself couldn't figure something out with my truck. =)

2. Aug 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Brand new kicker speakers throughout the truck, no sub yet, further improvements planned
    I wish someone would ever reply faster though. =( I'm borderline about to buy a new head unit tomorrow. But I'd rather not shell out 200$ if I can help it. Because I definitely cannot afford it atm. =( Thanks again for any help fellahs.

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Do you have an amp in your system or just aftermarket speakers and HU?

4. Aug 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    I have four 6.5 kickers in the driver, passenger, and cab. No amp that I know of. I've heard of cars having stock amps, but I have no clue where mine would be (if I even have one). And an aftermarket head unit.

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    no night owls out there with any suggestions??? Plan on buyin a crappy JVC (nicest one wally world has in stock atm) =( tm morning.

6. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Title:

Installation - Radio displays ‘Amp Guard” or “Amp GRD”
    Category:
    FAQs
    Sub-Category:
    Source Units
    10/30/2006

Step 1: Disconnect all the speakers from the head unit and try again. If the same message comes up, send the unit in for service.
    Step 2: If the message goes away, you have a wiring problem. Check each speaker lead for a short circuit, damaged speaker or a ground to chassis.

Also make sure you negative and positive speaker wires or terminals are not touching when the door panels are back on. You added some sound deadening making it thicker so that could cause problems and you just don't even know it.

7. Aug 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    I thought about the sound deadener being a problem, but I unscrewed the only panel I covered, disconnected the speakers, and it still read AMP GRD. (didn't disconnect all the speakers, just the one that started the whole problem.
    And when you say unplug all the speakers, do you mean unplug them from the back of the head unit, or the female ends that attach to the speakers themselves? Shouldn't make A difference right?

8. Aug 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    nvm, missed the head unit part. haha. Thanks. I will definitely try this.

9. Aug 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I would start with the front door speakers first since it was working before the sound deadening.

10. Aug 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Thanks for all the help man, I removed all my splices to the speakers, and it still read AMP_GRD. So I just went out and bought myself a JVC (not sure the model) but it's actually much nicer than my old one. Just stayed up till 3 am installing it too. Too many things going on atm. Thanks again though man for all the help

+repped for sure!

11. Aug 7, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear that. I hate wiring so all my junk is professionally installed. It could be a faulty HU to the back wiring harness to the connectors on the speakers. Of a combination of all. Wiring just takes time to troubleshoot. Good luck with your new deck. Lastly when you installed the new JVC did you use the pre existing wiring already in your truck? If so then the HU maybe faulty.

12. Aug 8, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    No worries, it was a pain in the ass, but I did use my old wiring adapter as I couldn't find a new one for my truck at the time. But I spliced it all myself. And also made it nice and neat. =) krimped plastic to hold together. I hate electrical tape sometimes. Lol. And it works fine, so it was def the h.u but the one I got is much nicer anyways. Haha. It has a mic and all Bluetooth connections so no more cables. =D I love it. Also it changes colors to every color of the rainbow. Now I need to figure out how to soundproof my panels better. Because it buzzes just a bit at high volume. But I don't have any subs or an amp. Lol.

13. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    You may need to ground the HU to the chassis.

14. Aug 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Yeahh all was well till earlier TD =( now my new one reads wiring problem check wiring , but I haven't messed with it/had a chance too yet =(

15. Aug 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    You make have a short or a ground problem in your old wiring harness. I would replace that first.

16. Aug 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    I gotcha, I just got done tearing it apart and making sure everything was wired ok, plugged it back in, it worked for an hour, then quit again. So I'm hoping it's just the wiring harness giving me problems. *sigh* Just one thing after another man. =( I just want a working, good sounding stereo. And I can't afford to go out and pay a professional to install it all. (sound deadening and all.) Not to mention labor costs. Or to just straight up buy a whole new truck. lol.

17. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    So I have an update, got my new harness in today, took me a matter of minutes to install, everything hooked up the way it should be and everything wired nice and neat, yet I'm still getting the MISWIRING/WIRING CONNECTION RESET HEAD UNIT error. Any thoughts? Maybe the new head unit I got was no good? Everything IS lighting up, just saying that the wiring is bad somewhere, when I definitely have it wired up correctly. Still have the receipt for my H.U. so I'm good there but I don't wanna go through all the trouble if it's a definite problem on my end. Thanks again...

18. Aug 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    sirsaechao

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    My best guess would be a lead wire to the speakers is touching bare metal. Some how a wire to the speaker maybe exposed, pinched or accidentally cut and the wires are touching metal on the chassis. If not then a blown speaker. The hard part is disconnecting all the speakers and try to reconnect one at time but also checking if there is a cut or pinched wire.

19. Aug 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    TheEVILshredder

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Outer Banks
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma
    Thanks for the advice man, you've been nothing but helpful, I'll try doing this when it stops raining here. Haha. But I hope for a final end to this stereo problem. lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top