Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Antenna options?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
CB Antenna options?

I have my CB antenna mounted to the BAMF tailgate mount but the 4' firestik is a bit heavy and the mount moves slightly, rubbing the tail gate. Any other options that might produce better reception and are lighter/thinner? I know zilch about CB antennas and some folks on here seem to be pretty savvy. Thanks for the opinions!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Yotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant futureYotamac has a brilliant future

Name: Ze
Yotamac's Tacoma Gallery
I use an angle bracket on my bed rail and it still bends, sketches me out sometimes... I'm working on a rear light/CB bar with welded tabs to take care of that... I'll post some pics once its done...
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need to torque down on the mount? Shouldn't be moving that much...
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Sounds like you need to torque down on the mount? Shouldn't be moving that much...
I dont think you are familiar with the mount I am talking about.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
I'm not sure if it is any lighter but you could try a 102" whip. It will way out perform that Firestik.
Any brands you recommend as a starting point?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
I dont think you are familiar with the mount I am talking about.
The one that pokes out of your tailgate? Fully aware of that one
Old 08-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #8

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
The mount is tightened down at all three points. The reason I made the previous claim is because this is a known problem. The steel has some flex and does rub on the gate when the antenna is moving. I am using a HD spring on the Firestik as well.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed0LyRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 2ND Infantry Division
Name: Steven
0LyRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same tailgate bracket. I thought that would happen so I went with the 2' Firestick I like it looks good but I couldn't give a reception details because I need to re-wire the power.

Here is my write up on it, good luck
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-write-up.html

Mines obviously the little white truck on the left.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #10

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, I actually used that write up as a reference while I was ordering all the parts.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixinus View Post
Any brands you recommend as a starting point?
These things have been around forever and are all pretty much the same: 102" tapered steel whip. They are cheap and work better than most. You already have the spring and it will just screw right on. Then check your SWR but whips generally do not need much if any tuning.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Resident Otaku
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
These things have been around forever and are all pretty much the same: 102" tapered steel whip. They are cheap and work better than most. You already have the spring and it will just screw right on. Then check your SWR but whips generally do not need much if any tuning.
heres another question on those whips, if you tie them down at one end, do they have issues with snagging on stuff?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if its just my truck but the bedside also wiggles just a tiny bit with my tailgate mount. I'm in the process of making another mount ill post pics when i get home.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
heres another question on those whips, if you tie them down at one end, do they have issues with snagging on stuff?
As long as the end is secured well and it won't catch on anything it should be good.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4' Firefly antenna by Firestick. It's very light and bends easily for trees and my mount doesn't move around much at all. Just a thought.