Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

10 " JL w0 in a double cab

Old 08-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
10 " JL w0 in a double cab

Hey guys, thought Id share my new setup .

Box is custom built, requires come cutting of the storage bin behind the rear drivers side seat. I also saved my child seat hook as most others dont, down side is my box vol is a little smaller .

The sub is amazing, my first JL product, and it must say it hits hard and clean. I'm actually surprised how good it sounds in this tiny box.

Here are some pics, details, and box dimensions. Im far from a box building pro but this works and sounds good.

also I still have my 8" rockford shallow mount in the OEM JBL box running off the stock amp .

the box build, as you can see the sub has about 1/8 - 3/16 clearance . Once I added the carpet and gasket it might have been about 1/4"

In this picture it looks as if there was a lot of clearance, but if you go any wider at the bottom your seat will most likely touch the sub if you try to fold it down.

test fit

Box is held in place to the back wall with some Velcro, also If using a 10" sub, try to center it towards the bottom.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
overload is on a distinguished road

overload's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job. HAd a 10w6 in my X-Runner.
This gives me a nice idea for my new DC
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by spieler View Post
Perfect! Thanks for posting the dimensions, im gonna do the same for my MTX10 I already have! What did you have to cut away from the stock tray area? pics?
Heres a pic of what you have to cut away, not the best pic but you get the idea. You can also see the little black velcro squares which hold the box in place .

Whats the mounting depth of your sub?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Quote:
Awesome thanks for the pic. I am using my old MTX Thunder 10" and its depth is 4.937"
It's going to be close , the mounting depth of the w0 is 4 15/16 . But the magnet tapper allows it to fit .
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
brochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud ofbrochacho has much to be proud of

Name: Ryan
brochacho's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Thanks for posting the dimensions.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Quote:
did you just center your hole you cut in the panel?
you mean the hole in the box ? that about 1/2" closer towards the bottom of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
What amp are you running?
rockford prime 500 , way more then i need but i had it from my previous system so .....
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
BLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLOODYMARY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Keith
BLOODYMARY's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! Thanks for all the useful info!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
spieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
spieler's Tacoma Gallery
Many thanks to Toy for the schematic. I sent it to my shop here and the shopbot cut it all out, then all I had to do was rip the 15deg and screw and glue it. I just threw some rubberized undercoat on mine as I could care less how it looks as its behind a seat (therefore no pix of said black box). The MTX fit in there perfectly with 1/4 behind it. Stuffed that beyotch with polyfill and hooked her to my Thunder 251D as before. Only problem is now its too boomy as its running full range because of the cheap lino out I had lying around so my Audio Control Lc2I with ACR-1 remote should be here today so I have control!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Quote:
Many thanks to Toy for the schematic. I sent it to my shop here and the shopbot cut it all out, then all I had to do was rip the 15deg and screw and glue it. I just threw some rubberized undercoat on mine as I could care less how it looks as its behind a seat (therefore no pix of said black box). The MTX fit in there perfectly with 1/4 behind it. Stuffed that beyotch with polyfill and hooked her to my Thunder 251D as before. Only problem is now its too boomy as its running full range because of the cheap lino out I had lying around so my Audio Control Lc2I with ACR-1 remote should be here today so I have control!

nice!

share a pic anyways . If you do ever want to carpet it, its really easy. few good tutorials on youtube, and carpet with spray is cheap on eBay.

I looked into the cleansweep and LC2 aswell, but for now im pretty satisfied. Though as well all know, bass is addicting and after a short period of time you crave more
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
NerdAlert is on a distinguished road
NerdAlert's Tacoma Gallery
Wow impressive planning and execution. Congrats on your first JL product, you'll find that they are expensive but excellent quality; I only go JL for bass. The only drawback is that you may want to start upgrading soon to w3, w6, w7 (if you're crazy about bass).
Old 08-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Nice...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
tillithz has a spectacular aura abouttillithz has a spectacular aura abouttillithz has a spectacular aura about
tillithz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
Hey guys, thought Id share my new setup .

Box is custom built, requires come cutting of the storage bin behind the rear drivers side seat. I also saved my child seat hook as most others dont, down side is my box vol is a little smaller .

The sub is amazing, my first JL product, and it must say it hits hard and clean. I'm actually surprised how good it sounds in this tiny box.

Here are some pics, details, and box dimensions. Im far from a box building pro but this works and sounds good.

also I still have my 8" rockford shallow mount in the OEM JBL box running off the stock amp .

Box is held in place to the back wall with some Velcro, also If using a 10" sub, try to center it towards the bottom.

it seems like the bottom and horizontal 1.25 inch piece is different in the pics and the dimensions pic, is it? whats the internal volume? (too lazy to do math if you already have) thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
NerdAlert is on a distinguished road
NerdAlert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name01 View Post
Nice...good job on posting the dimensions. I tried to build a custom box once. I got frustrated and smashed it on the ground.
I did the same thing when trying to build a factory spec box for a 12w7 in the trunk of an m3 convertible. After many hours of designing and redesigning and assembling and disassembling I literally took it on top of my friend's roof and threw it off.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillithz View Post
it seems like the bottom and horizontal 1.25 inch piece is different in the pics and the dimensions pic, is it? whats the internal volume? (too lazy to do math if you already have) thanks
Ya I cut it long on my box , but the over external dimensions are the same .