1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 stereo upgrade!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TacoSupreem, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Aug 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem [OP] Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Hi guys! I am planning on putting a system in my new truck. I had a 06 and didn’t get the jbl in it because i thought it was overpriced at 1,300 bucks. So for my new truck i told myself i was gonna get the jbl/nav/entune system. I thought it sounded pretty good for a stock stereo. I tried locating the truck i wanted. A double cab sport 4x4 mgm sb and found one but it didn’t have the upgraded radio. I could have ordered a truck how i wanted but didn’t really wanna wait. So i ended up taking a truck with the stock touch screen stereo. Which is leaps and bounds better than my stock unit in my 06. Since i had to compromise and get the truck i wanted without the tunes i wanted. I decided to put the 2,000$ that the jbl/entune/nav option cost towards a aftermarket system. So i put in a call to Mr. Marv!!! After talking to him i pulled the trigger on a system that will replace everything but the stock head unit. I really didn’t need anything more from my head unit. So i decided to keep it factory looking and just upgrade the sound. My system includes new hybrid audio clarius components for the front, coaxial’s for the rear and a image dynamics idq-10 for the sub. All powered by a Alpine pdx-v9.
    I’ve never done a stereo install before and am really excited to do this. I’m hoping with Y’alls help i can get threw this and hopefully help others in my same situation. I will do a writeup and track my steps as i go. I’ll take video and pictures to hopefully help others in the same boat. with that said is there anything y’all would like to see or tips you can give to help me get threw this install. I will have Marv on speed dial i’m sure, but i know he can’t be on the phone with me all day. So i’ll take all the help i can get! My stuff should start arriving within the next few days and i’ll have to try and tackle this over the course of a weekend. Stayed tuned for my install thread!

2. Aug 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    That sounds like you're going to have a good system! The write ups on here are very helpful so you can refer to those if you get stuck. The only other tip I have is to not strip wires with your teeth. Instead, get yourself one of these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORulGkmock

3. Aug 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM
    Kyleinator

Kyleinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 5 Lug
    Fog lights 3.73 Third Member
    I just did a very similar set up. Stock head unit, JL 500/3 amp, JL C3-650 Components, and a JL 10w3v3-2 sub. I love it! Only problem is I get a slight hiss. Whether the head unit is muted or not. If I disconnect the RCA's the hiss instantly goes away. I'm thinking it's just noise from the amp inside the stock non JBL headunit. Keep us posted! I'm excited to see how yours goes.

4. Aug 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I personally got the jbl and like it but man it could use an upgrade like an extra subwoofer

5. Aug 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem [OP] Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Thanks RiverDog i’ll look into those. I can always use more tools! Kyle did you use a line out converter??? MGMTacolover, i actually thought the JBL system was pretty good. I did think it was a little pricey though. I didn’t really need Nav., so this way i get a lot more sound and it’s cheaper.

6. Aug 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    FawkQ

FawkQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB V6 4.0 6M "The Sequel"
    that "hiss" will go away if you ground the outer shielding of the rca's to the headunit or the amp...

either of the 3 attached should work, I've done all 3 ways in the past and they all worked like a charm!

ground1.jpg
    ground2.jpg
    ground 3.jpg

7. Aug 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Kyleinator

Kyleinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 5 Lug
    Fog lights 3.73 Third Member
    Yeah I've tried an LC2i, a cheap Schoshe LOC80, and I have a JL Cleansweep that I haven't tried yet. I tried grounding the RCA shielding and the hiss was still present. I tested with my friends extra head unit and I got the same hiss with the speaker level outs on it, and if I used RCA it was perfect.

8. Nov 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    burton861

burton861 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Burke
    Georgia
    Any update on the install?

Products Discussed in

To Top