1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wife broke a speaker cover

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MaineYota, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Aug 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    MaineYota

MaineYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine, USA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 Doublecab
    Soft tonneau, vent shades, tube steps, bed extender, and tacomaworld.com sticker
    My wife, whom I love dearly, accidentally closed one of my tonneau braces in my rear door, putting it through a speaker cover (and the speaker behind it). See attached carnage pic.

I need some help/advice on how to fix it :(

I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to replace the non-JBL head unit and all the speakers. What are some decent replacement speakers these days?

Also - what double-DIN head unit would you buy?

image.jpg

2. Aug 25, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Toyoda Tacoma

Toyoda Tacoma Do or Do not there is no try.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Double cab, Long box
    Roof Rack, Step Bars, 3” Rough Country lift 265/70/17 Goodyear DuraTracs
    First of all never let her touch the truck again :)

3. Aug 25, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Tells her she's fired

4. Aug 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Only one thing to do, replace her. If that is too extreme you could just replace it.

5. Aug 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    First - you'll need to replace the entire door panel as the speaker mesh is part of it and is not removable. :(

As far as replacement audio - there is SO much aftermarket available I could not even begin to recommend something... Best advice there - research!

best of luck with the repair!

6. Aug 25, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    this.

Check out crutchfield.com

7. Aug 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM
    EFalco50

EFalco50 Woah! How did that get here?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    2012 Single Cab 4x4
    Weather Tech Floor liners, AFE drop in air filter, BFG All Terrain's, Fog lights, Reese Hitch, Undercoating/Rustproofing,
    Time to get CUT

8. Aug 26, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    MaineYota

MaineYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine, USA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 Doublecab
    Soft tonneau, vent shades, tube steps, bed extender, and tacomaworld.com sticker
    With a full two-thirds of the replies suggesting I eliminate my wife's access to my truck, eliminate my wife's access to me, or endorsements of one of the two ideas above, you guys are amazingly helpful ;)

Looks like I've found a new door panel reasonably close by for $75. Before I pull the trigger, I'll spend some time going through some of the (amazing) audio installs to see if there's a way to DIY a solution.

9. Aug 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Papa K

Papa K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 4 cyl
    As an option - instead of replacing the door panel - cut out the area on both sides and when you mount new speakers, use the grill that comes with them. They may still be resessed from the door panel but I may work depending on the spacer used...:eek:

10. Aug 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    Tj0hn

Tj0hn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Stock TRD Sport 4x4

Also, just my .2 cents. SonicElectronix. Lower prices than Crutchfield and pretty decent service. Crutchfield you are paying for the tech support, so if you have some know how I would recommend SonicElectronix.

Also, SonicElectronix will price match. So google Techronics, find what you want, then go over to Sonic and fill out the price match form. I just picked up a JL Audio 700/5 from SonicElectronix that they price matched Techronics for $393. Brand new.

Products Discussed in

To Top