Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Adding amp to non-JBL 2013

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Panzer is on a distinguished road

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
Adding amp to non-JBL 2013

I know the question has been asked and I cant seem to find an answer. Basically, I want to improve to sound of my setup and want to keep the stock head unit. I am new to this and was wondering what the recommended setup was for this? I was reading an ohm mismatch somewhere as well. I am also considering swapping out the front speakers and tweeters since my drivers side tweeter is already blown! Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Operator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really niceOperator313 is just really nice

Name: Dave
Operator313's Tacoma Gallery
You can add an amplifier(s) and a subwoofer by installing a line output converter. Be sure to use plenty of sound deadning and use a well built, sealed box or it will sound like poo.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really want to add a sub. I just want to add an amp to improve sound
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
What is your budget for speakers and an amp? Are you thinking of replacing the speakers in a four doors? There are a ton of speakers out there in just about every price range.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #5

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking around 4-500.

I want to replace the speakers and install an amplifier.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Before you buy anything, go to several car audio stores in your area and listen to the speakers that are there. This way, you'll hear what you like. You might end up liking one brand over another.

If this is going to be your first install of an amp, I would recommend buying from Crutchfield. They have really good customer service and can help you if you ever run into any problems. Without knowing what brands you may have a preference towards, I picked out a speaker system that would fit within your budget.

Front Speakers: Alpine SPS-610C ($130)
Rear Speakers: Alpine SPS-610 ($100)
Amp: Alpine MRP-F300 ($150)
Amp Kit: StreetWires ZeroNoise 3 ZN3K-08 ($35)

There are tons of setups you could get. This is just what I picked that fit within your budget. Also, you don't have to buy an amp that is the same brand as the speakers. I just did because the Alpine checkbox on the website was already checked. I guess that makes me lazy. However, Alpine amps have a good reputation and you'll likely be happy with this one. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

I just had another thought. It may be worth it to buy the system one piece at a time. That way, you can buy higher quality (i.e. more expensive, unfortunately) pieces. For instance, maybe look into just buying the front speakers and an amp now, and pick up the rear speakers later. Anyway, its just something to think about.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
chicka chicka, yeah!
mclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant future

Air Force: 4A271
Name: Jake
mclovin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Before you buy anything, go to several car audio stores in your area and listen to the speakers that are there. This way, you'll hear what you like. You might end up liking one brand over another.

If this is going to be your first install of an amp, I would recommend buying from Crutchfield. They have really good customer service and can help you if you ever run into any problems. Without knowing what brands you may have a preference towards, I picked out a speaker system that would fit within your budget.

Front Speakers: Alpine SPS-610C ($130)
Rear Speakers: Alpine SPS-610 ($100)
Amp: Alpine MRP-F300 ($150)
Amp Kit: StreetWires ZeroNoise 3 ZN3K-08 ($35)

There are tons of setups you could get. This is just what I picked that fit within your budget. Also, you don't have to buy an amp that is the same brand as the speakers. I just did because the Alpine checkbox on the website was already checked. I guess that makes me lazy. However, Alpine amps have a good reputation and you'll likely be happy with this one. Let me know if you have any questions.
dont forget the line output converter... this is a must for keeping the stock head unit.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
dont forget the line output converter... this is a must for keeping the stock head unit.
Oh yeah, thanks mclovin!

You'll need a line output converter like the AudioControl LC6i ($120)
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #10

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Thanks for your help with this. Wouldn't I need an adapter (MDF) to get the speakers to fit?
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
chicka chicka, yeah!
mclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant futuremclovin has a brilliant future

Air Force: 4A271
Name: Jake
mclovin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Awesome. Thanks for your help with this. Wouldn't I need an adapter (MDF) to get the speakers to fit?
you will, the crutchfield ones arent horrible but i would suggest Tacotunes for this. i know that they have some bad rep on here but in my dealing with them they actually did screw up my order, but bent over backwards to make it right.

i also would say close up some of those cavities in the doors as well with dynamat or something. you dont have to go over board, just 2-3 rolls when used sparingly will do the trick! good luck with your project.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...templates.html

Here ya go. Just print these out and transfer to MDF. I used 1/2" MDF and reference the sticky install thread by Mr. Marv to get sizes for new bolts.

FYI, these are exact, just rough around the edges.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #13

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are great. I hope to be doing this shortly and will keep you posted.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
Another member selling this. Just wondering if it was worth it with stock deck. I would need the rears too...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-speakers.html
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #15

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
As far as wiring and splicing....I know I need to run the cable from the amp to the converter but what about the speakers? Use the stock wiring? Everything plug into the converter behind the dash? Have to run wire to battery? Just like to be 100% with no surprises.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another member selling this. Just wondering if it was worth it with stock deck. I would need the rears too...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-speakers.html
Great buy! I have these and literally was going to pick these up just because of the price but the wife said hell no.

Also, do a little googling and maybe find a lower price...
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #17

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I found the speakers cheaper but the amp price is pretty good.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #18

Panzer's Tacoma Gallery
My wife has also said no. Hahaha. It will be a little bit until I can salvage a little cash
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Yotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotabilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connal
Yotabilly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Oh yeah, thanks mclovin!

You'll need a line output converter like the AudioControl LC6i ($120)
Do you have this? Does it work? I've yet to see anyone on here use a converter and not have an audible hiss.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #20

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotabilly View Post
Do you have this? Does it work? I've yet to see anyone on here use a converter and not have an audible hiss.

Save yourself the time and trouble and just get a new head unit. A single DIN with Front/Rear/Sub RCA outputs can be had for less than $300 and the sound you get from it trumps the stock unit by a mile.