1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM stereo auxiliary adapter install issues!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rebel Hank, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    Rebel Hank

Rebel Hank [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD
    Hey folks,

I recently installed a GROM-AUX-TOY ipod auxiliary adapter on my 2002 Tacoma's OEM stereo.

The adapter plugs into the empty CD Changer slot on the back of the stereo. The harness is included with the GROM device. Very simple. After one day of working properly, the thing has quit - sort of. I'll outline the details below:

DAY 1: Installation went about as smooth as removing the head unit could possibly go (with the few obligatory curse words throughout). I plugged the harness into the back of the stereo, stuck the auxiliary device (a little box about 4" x 3") on top of the stereo itself with some puddy, and fed the 3.5 audio jack cord (also included with the purchase) from the device down through the ash tray. By hitting "CD" on the radio twice, you get the CD Changer (it displays "CD 1" on the radio), and by plugging an ipod into the audio jack you get CD quality sound. I put the head unit back in place. Everything worked fine and I was listening to some Jerry Garcia jams on Spotify through my iPhone in no time.

DAY 2: I'm getting no sound from the radio at all. The radio powers on, but neither FM, AM, nor CD produce any sound output. On top of that, I'm unable to switch to the CD Changer. Pressing "CD" twice does nothing. However, when on CD, despite receiving no sound output, the CD still plays.

I removed the head unit and stereo and unplugged the auxiliary device from the back of the stereo. I noticed that the auxiliary device itself is extremely hot. At this point, I get sound output from the stereo again, so I know I haven't busted the amplifier/speakers.

So, I allow the auxiliary device to completely cool down and then plug it back in. Now with the device plugged back in, I get sound output from FM, AM, and CD, but am unable to switch to the CD Changer. Again, hitting "CD" twice does nothing. However, the GROM auxiliary device warms up and appears to be getting power from the stereo (the CD Changer receives 12V).

What could be the issue here? Is the CD Changer option busted somehow? Is it the ground? How do I test this? Is it advisable to take the top off the stereo itself? Is the stereo done for??

I'm not electrically-savvy, so I hope this makes sense. I appreciate any help!

Cheers,
    Reb

Products Discussed in

To Top