What's the best way to upgrade stereo?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
JayBrun will become famous soon enoughJayBrun will become famous soon enough

Name: Jason
JayBrun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrun View Post
Do yourself a favor and get some Tacotunes mounts for 6x9's and the tweeter mounts or 6-1/2 normal speakers. Replace both of those with some aftermarkets. I picked out Pioneer tweeters and Kicker 6x9's (You will have to hardwire at least the tweeters) for $130 total. I did end up powering my 6x9's with an amp but you don't have to. The stock speakers actually don't sound tooooo bad but they're fabric junk with foams surrounds and a magnet the size of a dime.

As for headunit I highly recommend getting an aftermarket one even if it's a $100 JVC or Pioneer especially if you're adding a subwoofer. The stock stereo does not allow proper tuning for an upgrading system not to mention the headache you're going to go through trying to hook up remote wires, rca's and filters.

Wiring Kit: Preferably 4 gauge - $75
Spool of Wire: $20
6x9 speakers: $100
Tweeters: $30
Headunit: $150 (Just to play it safe)
Sub: $100 (Build your own box out of mdf and you'll save yourself atleast 100 bucks)
Amp for sub: $200
Amp for door speakers: $150
Tacotunes mounts: Cant remember how much they are but lets say 60 bucks.

So basically your talkin about 900 bucks for a full system including headunit, amplified door speakers, and sub which should give you some badass sound if you buy good brands.

I agree with everyone crutchfield is the way to go for most stuff because they give you free brackets, stereo connectors and installation instructions. Do note that they don't make brackets for 6x9 speakers which is the stock size in your taco. Also definitely don't get the metra headunit bracket, get the scosche, you will have an option at checkout. The metra is crap and the scosche fits awesome to put it simple.

Don't forget if you want awesome sound, the tacomas also come with speakers in the ceiling! Replace those and you get great highs right on top of your head.
BTW Keep your eyes open on the 2nd gen classifieds, I'll be selling my amps, speaker systems, brackets, wiring, etc. and I also have a custom made sub box that fits in between the back seats and holds a kicker L3 10" 4 ohm and keeps the subwoofer fully visible.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #22
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
Cool great suggestions, thanks!

speakers in the ceiling... that would be sweet, indeed!
definitely tucking these ideas away for future use (need to save up dough), also still need the space in the access cab for a couple more years anyways.

meantime, may just limp along with standalone subwoof...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrun View Post
Do yourself a favor and get some Tacotunes mounts for 6x9's and the tweeter mounts or 6-1/2 normal speakers. Replace both of those with some aftermarkets. I picked out Pioneer tweeters and Kicker 6x9's (You will have to hardwire at least the tweeters) for $130 total. I did end up powering my 6x9's with an amp but you don't have to. The stock speakers actually don't sound tooooo bad but they're fabric junk with foams surrounds and a magnet the size of a dime.

As for headunit I highly recommend getting an aftermarket one even if it's a $100 JVC or Pioneer especially if you're adding a subwoofer. The stock stereo does not allow proper tuning for an upgrading system not to mention the headache you're going to go through trying to hook up remote wires, rca's and filters.

Wiring Kit: Preferably 4 gauge - $75
Spool of Wire: $20
6x9 speakers: $100
Tweeters: $30
Headunit: $150 (Just to play it safe)
Sub: $100 (Build your own box out of mdf and you'll save yourself atleast 100 bucks)
Amp for sub: $200
Amp for door speakers: $150
Tacotunes mounts: Cant remember how much they are but lets say 60 bucks.

So basically your talkin about 900 bucks for a full system including headunit, amplified door speakers, and sub which should give you some badass sound if you buy good brands.

I agree with everyone crutchfield is the way to go for most stuff because they give you free brackets, stereo connectors and installation instructions. Do note that they don't make brackets for 6x9 speakers which is the stock size in your taco. Also definitely don't get the metra headunit bracket, get the scosche, you will have an option at checkout. The metra is crap and the scosche fits awesome to put it simple.

Don't forget if you want awesome sound, the tacomas also come with speakers in the ceiling! Replace those and you get great highs right on top of your head.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #23
na5m is on a distinguished road
Marines: E3 (waaah!!!)
Name: Chris
na5m's Tacoma Gallery
To: #19

It isn't really all that hard to do a self-install. Even with a full-featured, double-din HU. Just don't even expect to get it all done in one day (or even two, or three, or ...). Each day I spent around two hours on the project, learning, diagnosing, googleing, forum hoping, info gathering, etc... for about two weeks. Just chipping away and making progress everyday. Looking back, I'm totally happy that I did it myself.

The main reason I did do it myself is that I don't want anyone else laying their greasy little fingers on my Taco! Ha! Seriously, though.... I really don't like other people working on my truck. Even "professionals". If it is something that I absolutely cannot do, then I'll swallow my pride and take the Taco to a pro. But only then

Long story short: If you want your HU installed in one business day, take your truck to a reputable installer. But if you're kinda like me, then I'd recommend doing it yourself
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #24
denmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the roughdenmen is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dennis
denmen's Tacoma Gallery
i'm in totally in synch with your attitude

yep, we're on the same wavelength on this.
i'm in no rush
i'd prefer to take more time and do it myself, so that after it's done, i'll know exactly what/how is done "under the hood" so to speak, plus have the first-hand know-how accumulated.
i'm okay with incremental baby steps in improvements (besides, it helps with throttling the budget output!)
thanks for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by na5m View Post
To: #19

It isn't really all that hard to do a self-install. Even with a full-featured, double-din HU. Just don't even expect to get it all done in one day (or even two, or three, or ...). Each day I spent around two hours on the project, learning, diagnosing, googleing, forum hoping, info gathering, etc... for about two weeks. Just chipping away and making progress everyday. Looking back, I'm totally happy that I did it myself.

The main reason I did do it myself is that I don't want anyone else laying their greasy little fingers on my Taco! Ha! Seriously, though.... I really don't like other people working on my truck. Even "professionals". If it is something that I absolutely cannot do, then I'll swallow my pride and take the Taco to a pro. But only then

Long story short: If you want your HU installed in one business day, take your truck to a reputable installer. But if you're kinda like me, then I'd recommend doing it yourself
Old 10-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #25
na5m is on a distinguished road
Marines: E3 (waaah!!!)
Name: Chris
na5m's Tacoma Gallery
Lemme know if you need any help

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmen View Post
yep, we're on the same wavelength on this.
i'm in no rush
i'd prefer to take more time and do it myself, so that after it's done, i'll know exactly what/how is done "under the hood" so to speak, plus have the first-hand know-how accumulated.
i'm okay with incremental baby steps in improvements (besides, it helps with throttling the budget output!)
thanks for your feedback!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #26
Blze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant futureBlze001 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: JD
Blze001's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I'm looking to up the musical quality of my DC while keeping the stock HU as well.

I want to keep the stock HU since I have steeringwheel controls and the factory hands-free phone setup. Don't want to loose those features... plus having buttons that don't do anything drives me nuts.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
you can easily do it for a grand

be careful if you use taco tunes. you may get your shit this week, or never

doing the install is super easy. just takes a little time to pull door panels and run wires.

i would highly recommend replacing the HU. what a POS

Products Discussed in this Thread