Notices

Lil'Taco's Center Console CB Install

Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Lil'Taco has a spectacular aura aboutLil'Taco has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lil'Taco's Center Console CB Install

I Finally got my CB and with a set idea of where I wanted to put it I set out to make it happen. I ran into a couple obstacles along the way (the A/C vents and ducts). So I was unable to get the CB recessed as far as I wanted but I figured I could get a spare center console trim piece to swap out when I'm not using the CB.

Here is what I have done so far and would like to get some of your guys advice on how to finish it off to securely mount the bracket.

I started by cutting out the back area to get the corners and plugs past the back of the trim.

The CB stuck out a little further then I wanted so I had to cut out the plastic on the right to allow it to sit back a little further but it would only go back until it hit an A/C duct.

I also had to trim the lip on the lower trim panel (the part with the cig outlets)

This allowed the CB to sit back an extra inch or so. This is about as far as it will go without ripping out the A/C ducts. So I was satisfied where it sat.

So this is where I am, and would like some advice/ideas on how to mount it securely.

So I decided that I wouldn't be able to use the factory mounting braket so I went to the hardware store got a 4x1/4" nylon spacers and a couple screws that where longer that fit. Drilled a couple well placed holes in the side of the console so I would have access to the screws with the console installed. It is a little tricky squeezing the CB inbetween the screws and lining the holes up but when you do it is SOLID!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Have you thought about cutting into the CB chassis itself?

The circuit board is mounted on the top panel of the radio, the only thing that's on the back panel is the antenna out, power, and inputs for the radio which could easily be re-routed.

Now that you have cut another inch off the center console hole at the top, you should easily be able to slip the modified chassis into position. If you're concerned regarding exposed components, you could get polycarbonate from TAP Plastics and cut it to fit.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #3

What do you mean by cutting into the CB chassis? The circuit board is still about the same size as the inclosure so I don't think it would give me any more space.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriancast View Post
I would like to do that, but I like my cup holders. Your CB seems to be blocking them.
They are blocked but I plan on removing the CB when I'm not using it.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
adriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shedadriancast is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: USMC
Name: Adrian
adriancast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Taco View Post
They are blocked but I plan on removing the CB when I'm not using it.
I just did this. Can still put the seat all the way up and doesn't get in the way of the passenger.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #8

I was going for a more clean look instead of something bulgy hanging off the side of the console.

I could put in even further if this part of the A/C duct wasn't there or could be moved.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #9

I got the wires ran today. Did the power through the firewall and to my Aux fuse block and ran the antenna through one of the holes under the driver seat and down along the wiring harness to the left tail light. I'm going down to BAMF tomorrow to pick up some glass bedsides I had shipped to his place, and will pick up a CB antenna mount while I'm there.