1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Din

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Taco Guy11, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sep 4, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    Taco Guy11

Taco Guy11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    Looking to upgrade my stereo I currently have a 2011 dcsb non jbl. I'm looking on going double din DVD player. However I'm not sure what to get my budget is around 400 for the head unit itself. I'm doing away with the xm radio so I want something that works pretty well with iPhone (iphone5). Anyone have any suggestions on what's a good brand what they like and don't like best bang for your buck. Also I am currently running a JL 8"w3 for my low end with a 360 watt JL amp. Thanks for any input.

2. Sep 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    First off, do you plan on watching videos on the head unit from your iPhone 5 (e.g. downloaded videos on your phone, streaming Netflix, streaming YouTube, etc.)?

If your answer is yes, look at the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS. Its a good budget head unit at $319 on Crutchfield and will work with an iPhone 5. Keep in mind that you'll have to buy a specific adapter for your iPhone 5, which costs $100. But this adapter will allow you to do audio and video from your iPhone 5 to the Pioneer. You'll also have to do a firmware update on the head unit. However, this update affects Pandora playback negatively. But Pioneer is working on fixing it and will likely come out with a fix for it.

If your answer is no, there is another cheaper adapter for the Pioneer head unit that only does audio. Also, If you don't plan on watching anything in your truck, streamed via your phone, then you can look at other brands. But as far as I know, Pioneer is the only company that makes head units and adapter that will all video from iPhone 5s. If your answer is no, then you should also look at Kenwood, Sony, Alpine (if you can find one cheap enough), and certain JVCs.

3. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    Taco Guy11

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    I just got a pioneer 5500bhs in the mail today too bad the dash kit had a broken clip so ill wait two more days for the new one and then install it

4. Sep 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    That's a bummer about the dash kit. But that is one nice deck you picked up!

5. Sep 12, 2013 at 2:50 AM
    fau8823

fau8823 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Tint-20%, Kenwood 2 meter radio, firestik 2 meter antenna on a BAMF tailgate mount, Extang Solid Fold , Pioneer bhs-3500 HU, clazzio leather seats, Scangauge II
    I'm looking into getting a DVD head unit myself. Appradio 3 or the 5500bhs? What's the difference? Which is better?

6. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    Taco Guy11

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    Thanks man the thing looks sweet I couldn't help but put it in lastnight just to see/hear it but I pulled it back out new dash kit will be here Friday and the iPhone interface will be here Saturday so ill have it in the weekend

7. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    You can compare the two on websites like Crutchfield. But I'd go with the 5500 myself. It has the ability to produce better sound and is cheaper. It also has an AppRadio Mode, so it will sort of act like the AppRadio if you want it to. I've never used the AppRadio Mode on a Pioneer so I can't say for sure what its like.

Even though it has fairly good reviews, a lot of people have had issues with the AppRadio being buggy and not working quite right. But a lot of people have also said they haven't had any issues. Your best bet is to go to a local car audio shop and test both of them out and see which one you like better.

8. Sep 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I would have done the exact same thing.:D

9. Sep 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    Taco Guy11

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Western Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD off-road
    I figure ill put it in tomorrow when I get the dash kit then pull it out Saturday to plug the iPhone interface in the wait is driving me crazy.

Products Discussed in

To Top