Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

What's Needed for Pioneer AVH-5500 Install?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
JDubya is on a distinguished road
JDubya's Tacoma Gallery
What's Needed for Pioneer AVH-5500 Install?

After doing research, I've decided to purchase a Pioneer AVH-5500 for my new (to me) Tacoma. Aside from the head unit and the iPhone cables, what else do I need to order for the install?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Required, IMHO:
o Faceplate, HU wiring adapter

Optional, your call:
o video bypass (if you want a movie to play while moving), reverse camera feed (if you so desire, takes some wiring skills), steering wheel control adapter

This assumes you're not also installing new speakers or an amp. If this assumption is wrong, more stuff is needed....
Old 09-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
You'll also need something to wire the harnesses together. Butt connectors are the easiest. If you decide to solder, you'll also need shrink tubing to cover the connections after. This video helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No8OmETZEPs

If you do decide to watch movies via USB, you'll also need a program to convert the movies to DivX format.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
JDubya's Tacoma Gallery
Thank y'all.

Question: Will my stock steering wheel controls work with this head unit? Or will I need to buy new ones?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
JDubya's Tacoma Gallery
In your opinion, what module is best for that? Any links?
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
You'll also need something to wire the harnesses together. Butt connectors are the easiest. If you decide to solder, you'll also need shrink tubing to cover the connections after. This video helps.

If you do decide to watch movies via USB, you'll also need a program to convert the movies to DivX format.
Know of any good programs?
You talkin like if you had an external hard drive plugged into your usb port right?

Any of you know a simple but good and effective way of bypassing the ebrake?

And when you install the 5500BHS , will you still have your factory usb port to use and another one?

Never installed a stereo so I don't know jack about this stuff. Thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
JDubya's Tacoma Gallery
I'm installing mine today or tomorrow so I will let you know.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Double din dash kit.. imo Scosche is the best.

Wiring harness or hard wire.

ASWC module for steering wheel controls.