1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSS aka Vehicle Speed Sensor

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by na5m, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Sep 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM
    na5m

na5m [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    V-6 4x4 6-speed manual
    Bone stock, except for my TaoTronics HD back-up camera & KW-NT810HDT audio HU...
    Totally: Sorry to all if the answer to this question is googleable, but I haven't
    been able to find a single satisfying hit. Today is September 14th, 2013.

Question: What am I missing out on by not patching my JVC head unit into my 2011 Tacoma's VSS?
    VSS... hell, do we really need to connect our head-unit to the vehicles' VSS for "proper" GPS
    navigation/location functionality?

In other words: Does VSS enhance my head-units' GPS mojo? :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 14, 2013 at 3:21 AM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Which JVC do you have? And yes, in order for some GPS's mojo to work properly they need to be connected to the VSS wire. ;) Without making that connection the GPS unit might not know the car is even moving. Some units work solely off the GPS antenna, but others use the GPS antenna and the VSS to work.

If you happen to have the KW-NT310HDT, KW-NT510HDT, or KW-NT810HDT you need to connect the VSS wire for the navigation to work properly. In the installation manuals for these head units it says the following:

If you do not connect the speed signal lead, the Navigation System works with the GPS signal only. In this case, "Speed pulse not detected. System works as GPS only mode until speed pulse is detected." appears on the screen when the power is turned on. Press [OK] to use the Navigation System.​

ZMan2k2 likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    na5m

na5m [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    V-6 4x4 6-speed manual
    Bone stock, except for my TaoTronics HD back-up camera & KW-NT810HDT audio HU...
    I have the KW-NT810HDT. And I have its GPS antenna mounted up on the cab's roof.
    The NAV totally works just fine right now without having the VSS wire attached.
    The NAV system tracks my Taco just fine as I drive around. And it also seems to know when
    my Taco is moving or not, as DVD movies will not display video while the truck
    is in motion, but will display video once I've come to a stop.

I did see the message that you refer to, Riverdog: "... will work in GPS mode only...."

That begs the question, what the devil is "GPS Mode"?
    And what other Mode (or Modes) am I missing out on?

Please help to shed more light on this

4. Sep 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I had the same question about the GPS mode, but I couldn't find out what it was or how it differed from the full navigation mode. I looked at the list of features for your deck on JVC's website, here, and I can only see a few things that could possibly be affected the VSS wire. Although I'm just guessing, to me it seems like the VSS wire would only affect the Speed Limit Display, Speed Alert, and Adaptive Volume Control. Other than that, I don't see anything that seems like it would be affected by knowing the speed of the car. Maybe look at that list and see if there are any other features that are unavailable to you.

5. Sep 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    na5m

na5m [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    V-6 4x4 6-speed manual
    Thanks, Riverdog. I'm on pretty much the same page as you are. Since there is no compelling
    motive to connect my HU's VSS wire, I'm just gunna leave it unattached.

6. Sep 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Sorry I couldn't give you something more definitive than "it seems to me like...." But good luck with your new fancy headunit and welcome to TW!

7. Apr 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    sfcacique

sfcacique Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    4WD TRD Access Cab
    Thule Racks with Hullavator, Pioneer Stereo/Nav
    The speed sensor also provides "dead reckoning" input, which helps keeps you on track when in GPS-compromised areas. The accuracy of your GPS is also enhanced... that said, I have had my Pioneer AVIC-X9115BT installed and running without problems for over three years. The GPS unit even showed my speed, calculated internally by the GPS, similar to hand held units I would imagine.

I just noticed that the installers did a poor job of connections, to include not connecting the reverse wire and also the speed sensor... I am searching the forums here to ascertain where the VSS/Speed Sensor is located, just to do it all while I have the dash and other trim apart connecting up a rear camera. The Pioneer system has a neat trick, it automatically turns the rear camera on (like most units) when you put the truck into reverse, AND ALSO you can change your AV view to rear camera to check on trailer you are towing etc.

8. Jan 20, 2022 at 6:31 AM
    Jcoop1620

Jcoop1620 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Stereo upgrade
    Hey guys I'm new to the forum and been looking for some answers on this topic although my situation is different. I have a 2018 TRD sport the fa tory stereo had nav. Now I have replaced it for an alpine head unit with android auto. My new head unit does not have a VSS wire although my stock unit was connected to one. The wire harness I used has the VSS wire but no where to Connect on the new head unit. My issue is I now have a check engine light on code p0500 speed sensor and I have lost cruise control . Can I run this wore to somewhere else to trick it and get rid of the engine Iight.

9. Jan 20, 2022 at 6:50 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5

I found this…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQlRtdPoDo

I would contact iDatalink about VSS simulation with the Maestro RR.

10. Jan 20, 2022 at 7:38 AM
    Jcoop1620

Jcoop1620 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Stereo upgrade
    Thank you for sharing I have watched this video the problem I have us the head unit I installed didn't have a VSS wire but my integration wire harness has one that comes out of it. Can I connect this to say a wheel speed sensor lead or something. My other option is to buy another head u it with the wore so I can complete the circuit and get cruise control back

11. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:09 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    That’s what I was getting at. Connect your trucks’ VSS wire to the iDatalink. It’s unconventional, but might work. That’s why I suggested contacting iDatalink.

The other option might be those OBD plug in modules on fleaBay. But that’s an “at your own risk” suggestion.

*edit*. Just wondering, does the Sony unit have Nav? You mentioned the stock unit does. Your truck “might” be looking for a GPS signal, hence the CEL. Adding the stuff I mentioned would add up to getting a new HU with Nav. Something to consider.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  12. Jan 20, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    Jcoop1620

Jcoop1620 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD sport
    Stereo upgrade
    Thanks for your help I'm prob going to to sell the head unit I bought as I can't return after installing and just get the next model up that has the VSS wire on its harness. Thank you again this has been very helpful

Products Discussed in

To Top