Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Rear View Camera - Help Me Out...

Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
andrewprime1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
andrewprime1's Tacoma Gallery
Rear View Camera - Help Me Out...

I got a license mounted Koolertron CMOS camera off amazon for like 12 bucks. Ran the cables to all the right places. Yellow up to my head unit, a pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, and into the Rear View Camera Port. The power and ground were tapped into my driver's side taillight. Green Pos. White with Black line Ground.

Aaaaaaaand, it doesn't work.

I tired hooking up the violet/white cable from my head unit to a wire that only got current when in reverse. When I would hit the rear view icon on the screen, it just displayed a black screen with a message, "Image may appear reversed" but no signal.

I was frustrated, so I plugged it into the Video In port and switched to AV. Nothing. I am out of ideas. The head unit has a video relay bypass that I installed on it, and I know that the thing will play DVDs and other video, so the only thing I can thing is I got a lemon camera? I mean it was only 12 bucks.

Any other ideas for me guys?

Here is a diagram of the back of the HU
Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure you've checked over everything and you must be really frustrated at this point. But maybe check the ground connection again. Maybe try moving the ground to a different place on the truck.

Check the settings on your Pioneer as well. On my head unit (a Sony) there are two video inputs so I have to set one of them to be the backup camera. Maybe your's needs a similar setup?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
deesz is on a distinguished road
Name: darren
deesz's Tacoma Gallery
did you check to make sure you turned on the camera input on the stereo and that its set to voltage/battery signal? all pioneers need to be changed. check manual for how to. I believe you turn off the unit and then you then enter the menu.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and checked all of the connections and tried a few more times with different configurations, and I just couldn't get it to work. I ended up returning the camera to Amazon because I really didn't think the camera was turning on.

The head unit acted like if was switching over to it's camera input just fine, but it wasn't getting signal. And the thing was hooked up to the power in every way I could think of. It must be that I just got a bad camera for whatever reason.

Anyway, I took out the power cable, but the video cable is still run to the cab, I figure I will get a replacement and try again, perhaps a different brand. Has anyone else had any luck with a particularly cheap rear view camera?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Here is an amazon link to the one I just got and installed. Came with long enough video cable but directions that were worthless. After some trial and error I got it working. I have a pioneer app radio and it works great. What I had to do to my radio was change the camera polarity to something other than off. Mine gave me the option of ground or battery. Either worked.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
Here is an amazon link to the one I just got and installed. Came with long enough video cable but directions that were worthless. After some trial and error I got it working. I have a pioneer app radio and it works great. What I had to do to my radio was change the camera polarity to something other than off. Mine gave me the option of ground or battery. Either worked.
Yeah, that camera is almost identical to the one I got. I played around with the camera polarity with no luck. I also just plugged it in to the AUX video port in the back, no luck. I think my camera was just defective, so I returned it. Waiting for a replacement.

Tell me though, and this might be a stupid question... But do those LEDs light up for you when you are in reverse? Mine never did, and thats why I eventually decided that my camera was just a lemon.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewprime1 View Post
Yeah, that camera is almost identical to the one I got. I played around with the camera polarity with no luck. I also just plugged it in to the AUX video port in the back, no luck. I think my camera was just defective, so I returned it. Waiting for a replacement.

Tell me though, and this might be a stupid question... But do those LEDs light up for you when you are in reverse? Mine never did, and thats why I eventually decided that my camera was just a lemon.
They are infrared leds. So no your eyes wont be able to see the light they give off but the camera can see the infrared light that they emit. Thats what gives it the "night vision"

EDIT: I also hooked mine up to a reverse bypass switch so I can turn it on when ever I want.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure green wire is positive for the reverse light in your truck?
You also need to run a wire to the reverse power wire for your head unit to sense when its in reverse, Should be a red/white wire in driver kick panel