1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headunit for 01

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 169.254.255.201, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM

169.254.255.201 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
    Looking to buy a new headunit for my 01 taco!
    Prefer to buy from bestbuy, (Have a $30 gift certificate which will help with their over priced products).

Probably budget of $120.
    I want bluetooth, aux port, and radio.. USB (for charging) would be awesome, but not at all required.
    Can anyone give me ideas on what to get? I'll need a wiring harness also correct?

Also, what will I do with the extra space? Seems like my stock unit is pretty big compared to what I have seen for aftermarket.
    S0 any recommendations?

and if you have one for sale, shoot me a message

2. Sep 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    They make a filler with a awsome little cubby hole to go around the single din stereo, i have a kenwood that has everything but blutooth and only cost me like $125. Wish i had gotten bluetooth now though. Oh and yes you will need a wiring harness also, just let best buy install it since you have the coupon.

3. Sep 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Take a look at the JVC KDX250BT. It has bluetooth, front AUX, front USB, rear USB, and its only $90. It has really good reviews too. However, there is no CD player. I don't know if that's a deal breaker for you or not. You'll have to buy a wiring harness and dash kit. So I say buy this deck, or a similar one and use the extra money on the wiring harness, dash kit, and installation. A wiring harness will cost you $20ish at Best Buy, and a dash kit will be around the same price.

4. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Member:
    Interwebs
    Really like that one.
    Do you have it?
    Not having a CD player is not a deal breaker. I forgot to add to my OP. Adding it now. I would almost prefer to not have one!
    Looks like a good price

5. Sep 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I don't have it, but it looks like a good one. Sorry to give you more to consider but....

My buddy has this Alpine deck and it doesn't have a CD player, but is $10 more. He says he doesn't miss CDs at all. I suggested the JVC to you because it fit your qualifications, was a better price, and (in my opinion) looks better than the Alpine. I don't like that the USB outlet is always visible on the Alpine. On the JVC there's a little door that hides it when its not in use.

Down the road, if you plan on replacing the speakers, adding a subwoofer, and an amp to power everything, the Alpine is a better one to go with just because it has four pre-outs. The JVC only has two. Other than the $10 and the number of pre-outs, there's not a big difference between the two. Both have really good reviews. I'm sure if you get used to not having a CD player you'll be happy with either of them.

6. Sep 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Member:
    Interwebs
    The alpine does have 1 year warranty on parts and labor while the JVC only has 1 year warranty on parts.. Nothing mentioned about labor.
    Is that something I should consider in my decision?

7. Sep 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about that. Since there isn't a CD player there are no moving parts I believe, besides the faceplate obviously. That means there's much less of a chance of something breaking. And that means you won't have to pay for labor since its not broken. :) Plus, if it did happen to break while under warranty, you'd have to ship it to them at your expense (both ways plus any insurance) and then pay for labor. On a deck this price, it might not be worth paying to get it fixed when you could just buy a new one.

If I was in your position and I didn't plan on adding a sub and amps, I'd go with the JVC.

8. Sep 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Member:
    Interwebs
    I see.
    Just wasn't sure if head units are subject to breaking or faulty parts.

I don't plan on adding a sub or amps ever,
    but any reason to go with the JVC over the Alpine besides the price?

9. Sep 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Besides saving $10, the only reason I would have for buying the JVC over the Alpine is aesthetic. I think it just looks better than the Alpine.

As long as you don't abuse it, either of these head units should outlast the warranty by many years.

10. Sep 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Member:
    Interwebs
    Bump.. Any more suggestions/reviews? Don't want to regret this after I get it!
    My Bestbuy coupon expires the 28th, so I want to order within 4-5 days.

What wiring harness would I buy if i get the JVC?

11. Sep 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    You'll need this wiring harness.

There isn't much of selection at Best Buy with your $120 budget. You can get the JVC + dash kit + wiring harness for $130. That's a pretty good deal for a deck that has ipod/iphone functionality, 2 USBs, and bluetooth audio streaming. There are definitely other decks at Best Buy, but they're going to be more expensive.

If you don't have to purchase from Best Buy, look at Crutchfield.com. A lot of their decks come with free dash kits and wiring harnesses. For instance, this JVC has all the features as the JVC we discussed earlier as well as a CD player. It costs $130 but comes with a free dash kit and wiring harness. And this Alpine has all the features as the Alpine we discussed earlier as well as a CD player. It costs $130 and also comes with a free dash kit and wiring harness. Crutchfield also has this Pioneer and this Sony, each for $130. They both have all the features you're looking for and come with free wiring harnesses and dash kits.

Products Discussed in

To Top