Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

retaining stock stereo and adding rca outputs for amp question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
Name: Victor
victorramse3's Tacoma Gallery
retaining stock stereo and adding rca outputs for amp question

I am new to the car audio scene and have been researching how to add an amp or two while retaining the factory headunit. I see that many people on here are using something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002T4XR78 to add rca outputs.

I was speaking with a buddy of mine that did his and he used a couple of these for his setup. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EA...AC_SX110_SY165

my question is what is the advantage/difference between these products?

Would the PAC units be sufficient to get a good amp/speaker combo going?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
SlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
the PAC is sufficient unless you need the additional outputs or want the equalization or optional sub output level control features of the AudioControl units. our stock radios are only lacking in power.

i would actually recommend the EQL/EQX/EQS over the LC boxes. all take speakers level input and the EQ parts add equalization and crossovers in the higher end units
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
victorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nicevictorramse3 is just really nice
What are the EQL/EQS/EQX and LC boxes? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

As for the equalization and sub output level, isn't the amp normally able to control those?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
SlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlowComa666 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlowComa666's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.audiocontrol.com/17612/OEM-Integration.html

again, if you need or want the added features and/or flexibility these are the way to go. the cheapest [EQL] only a bit more than the LC6i with many more features
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Oh ok I understand now. Since all I'm looking for are RCA outputs for an amp the PAC units will suffice. Thanks for your input!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Highspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to beholdHighspeed is a splendid one to behold

Highspeed's Tacoma Gallery
You might also consider using amplifiers with high level inputs. This would eliminate the need for converters. It will limit your choice of amplifiers but there are some good ones out there.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
That's a pretty nice mod you made there!

I ended up just going with the PAC RCA output adapter. Down the road if I decided that I want to tweak it a little more I may choose to add some of those Audiocontrol boxes, but being that i'm still learning i'm trying to keep it simple.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spieler View Post
Thanks, it was easy, just take your time...cut...fit...cut...cut...fit! Nothing wrong with the PAC at all, they do their job. Only reason I went with the AC unit is my amp didnt have any xovers in it so my sub was playing full range and was horrible.

What are crossovers? Are they like the Hi/Lo audio filters that are used? I just ordered my amp, JL Audio JX 500/1D am I going to need something similar?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Ah ok!

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Yep one or the other of the ones you listed would work.
High level (speakers) to low level (subs) or a straight through line converter. Speaker to rca. If the amp is of pretty much any quality these days it'll pick up the frequency band you need for either a subwoofer amp or speaker amp.

If you are keeping the stock speakers, you can just lift the rear plastic piece long the door sill and it should expose enough of the speaker wire to splice onto. As well for your switch wire or remote wire, you can just attach that to a speaker wire as well. I had a set up like this for about a year.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta View Post
Yep one or the other of the ones you listed would work.
High level (speakers) to low level (subs) or a straight through line converter. Speaker to rca. If the amp is of pretty much any quality these days it'll pick up the frequency band you need for either a subwoofer amp or speaker amp.

If you are keeping the stock speakers, you can just lift the rear plastic piece long the door sill and it should expose enough of the speaker wire to splice onto. As well for your switch wire or remote wire, you can just attach that to a speaker wire as well. I had a set up like this for about a year.
You can attach the amp remote wire to an existing speaker wire? I was planning on tapping into one of the stereo wires behind the stock head unit.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Really you don't even have to remove the head unit.

The remote wire just needs a tiny bit of power to ensure the amp stays on.
As well, depending on the rca adapter this may also need a remote hook up.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Good to know!
Old 01-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Re-Member
Vanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant future

Name: Brooks
Vanguard's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Vanguard Send a message via Yahoo to Vanguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorramse3 View Post
That's a pretty nice mod you made there!

I ended up just going with the PAC RCA output adapter. Down the road if I decided that I want to tweak it a little more I may choose to add some of those Audiocontrol boxes, but being that i'm still learning i'm trying to keep it simple.
so how did the PAC end up sounding?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
so how did the PAC end up sounding?
The PAC unit sounds great. No complaints here.

I had some issues initially but it was due to my installation skills (or lack thereof).

I definitely recommend the unit to anyone who is interested in adding an amp.

Products Discussed in this Thread