Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

HU question

Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
HU question

I'm looking to replace my stock JBL 6 disc HU. I swapped it out once before with a pioneer touch screen (can't remember the model but a picture is posted below) but the sound quality didn't seem all the great. Like, there was not as much bass to the music as with the stock unit and I don't mean bass as in loud trunk rattling bass, just enough for rock music. I basically had to turn the bass all the way up on the pioneer unit to match the level 3 setting on the stock unit. Anyone else have this problem with their HU's? I'm looking for another touch screen, preferably one where I can connect my ipod in the back or a usb port for a flash drive in the front. And in case you're wondering, my pioneer unit was stolen, that is why I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I believe what you are experiencing is the lack of an amplifier, though I may be wrong. Perhaps the stock HU had a better amplifier than your replacement unit?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
speddmn is on a distinguished road

speddmn's Tacoma Gallery
you can't hear it as well because the green paint is too loud
Old 09-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speddmn View Post
Hahahahaha
Old 09-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't worry, its all gone. Had to replace everything cause when the truck was broken into they destroyed my whole dash
Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
speddmn is on a distinguished road

speddmn's Tacoma Gallery
Real talk it's because the factory unit amplifier was probably bypassed if this unit was internally amplified. Or it was removed?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok, makes sense. Not much of an audio guy
Old 09-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
FLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud ofFLTrucks has much to be proud of
Army:
FLTrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Real talk it's because the factory unit amplifier was probably bypassed if this unit was internally amplified. Or it was removed?
Probably this. Did you install the unit yourself? In most cases the amp is bypassed. The JBL amp is to read speakers at a specific ohm load and the the is to read a different ohm load as well so the amp was bypassed and the speakers are specific ohm's so the deck is sending different power levels.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTrucks View Post
Probably this. Did you install the unit yourself? In most cases the amp is bypassed. The JBL amp is to read speakers at a specific ohm load and the the is to read a different ohm load as well so the amp was bypassed and the speakers are specific ohm's so the deck is sending different power levels.
Oh ok, I kinda follow. And now I didn't install it. I've done single din units but not touch screens or anything like that so I had best buy do it. Had gift cards saved up for the unit and install so I just went ahead and had them do it since it was kinda free for me.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #10

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
So would it be a good idea to just change out the stock amp and 8" when I swap head units?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
jferrarini is on a distinguished road
jferrarini's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This wins the internet.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
So would it be a good idea to just change out the stock amp and 8" when I swap head units?
Yes, I think it would be a good idea. You'll get much better sound by replacing the stock amp with an aftermarket amp. I think I read on here that the stock amp and sub are 8 ohms and nearly all of the aftermarket counterparts are not 8 ohms. So if you replace the stock amp then you should also switch out the stock sub. Replacing the amp and sub will definitely cost more than just replacing the head unit, but you'll be much happier with the sound quality. Even if you get another 8 inch sub, it will likely be better than the stock one.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #13

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Yes, I think it would be a good idea. You'll get much better sound by replacing the stock amp with an aftermarket amp. I think I read on here that the stock amp and sub are 8 ohms and nearly all of the aftermarket counterparts are not 8 ohms. So if you replace the stock amp then you should also switch out the stock sub. Replacing the amp and sub will definitely cost more than just replacing the head unit, but you'll be much happier with the sound quality. Even if you get another 8 inch sub, it will likely be better than the stock one.
Right on. I know the sound quality will improve but I don't have a problem with how it sounds now, just the HU itself. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #14

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrarini View Post
This wins the internet.
nice first post....
Old 09-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
jferrarini is on a distinguished road
jferrarini's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
nice first post....
We all have to start somewhere. You would think it was funny as well if it wasn't written about your interior.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #16

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrarini View Post
We all have to start somewhere. You would think it was funny as well if it wasn't written about your interior.
If I had asked for a critique on my interior then then I would have, but....I didn't. I simply asked a question and expected members to abide by forum rules by staying on topic, not to sign up and create a profile to make a smart ass remark. But, then again I guess I should feel flattered that you took the time to post in my thread out of all the thousands of other threads and discussions on this forum. To think, you have only posted twice on this site and they are both in here! YAY!