1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 subs, different ohms, 1 amp?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by flatfeet, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    flatfeet

flatfeet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Hilo
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 DBL CAB
    RCD 4.5 lift, 18x9 BFD, 305/60-18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's, projector HIDs, TRD exhaust, AFE intake, onboard air, led dash mod, train horns.
    Here's my situation, I have:

2ea Elemental Designs 8" DVC 2 ohm subs and
    2ea Elemental Designs 8" DVC 4 ohm subs.

I plan to custom fit 2 in the compartment under the back seat of my dbl cab and custom build a box for the other 2 behind the back seat.

My question is, would it be possible to run all 4 of them off of the same 4 channel amp? or Do I have to run them off of 2 separate amps? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

2. Oct 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Yup you can run them all on one amp you could even run all them all on one channel with the right amp and the correct wiring configuration. Do an internet search for explanations of series and parallel wiring methods, it's not as complicated as it sounds. By bridging your amp and wiring your subs properly to the correct ohm load you can get a whole lot more juice out of your amp = more bass. Unless you are going to build a sealed enclose to the proper specs for the two under the seat I would not do it and just put all 4 behind the seat. A sub that is not in the proper box is useless, the right box and it's awesome. Trust me ...a sub from Radio Shack in a perfect built box tuned exactly for the speaker will sound better than a $1000 sub in the wrong box.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Oct 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    flatfeet

flatfeet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Hilo
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport 4x4 DBL CAB
    RCD 4.5 lift, 18x9 BFD, 305/60-18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's, projector HIDs, TRD exhaust, AFE intake, onboard air, led dash mod, train horns.
    Thanks for the insight. I planned on separating them because I thought the may be getting different amounts of power based on the ohms. I didn't want them firing out of sync sort of speak. Ill look up some wiring configurations. Thanks again.

4. Oct 4, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    FLTrucks

FLTrucks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mixing ohm loads you don't really wanna do any way unless they are same ohm load. You will end up getting different ohm loads due to the resistance and voltage drops if you wired them all together in series. What 4channel amp is it? You could wire the 4ohms together and the 2 ohms together but i would not suggest wiring all together.

5. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    pcabinatan

pcabinatan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Avondale, Arizona
    K&N Intake, 35w 6K HID's, Plastidip badges
    Not a great Idea to mix different impedance subwoofers. physically they look similar, but their electrical conductance is different. recommendation would be to use 4 of the same type.
    Also staggering different impedance subs on seperate channels will also sound off as the 2 ohm subs will be louder, since they are receiving more power.

Products Discussed in

To Top