Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Suggestions for CB radios

Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
SlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Ryan
SlimBo84's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions for CB radios

I am new to the CB world. Not sure what to look for as far as features, abilities and types. I just want something simple for the trail. Are there any suggestions? Also, antennas and accessories.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
REDNICK is on a distinguished road

REDNICK's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Cobra 19 CB radio and it works fine for my uses. I can hear the truckers and talk to my buddies driving around or on the trail. Currently I'm running a 4ft firestik antenna attached to my toolbox. Just make sure you get a spring that your antenna can screw into because you'll need that to allow the antenna to move around and bend down when hitting treelimbs etc, otherwise it will break the antenna. I also ran a 102" whip antenna for several years. Great thing about the "whip" is you can hit tree limbs at 60mph and it won't bend or break your antenna and you can bend it down to the back corner of your truck bed and tuck it in the tailgate for when you have to drive through parking decks. I just got tired of smacking treelimbs all the time with it...
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
The civil war is over!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
wxal626 is on a distinguished road

wxal626's Tacoma Gallery
The best thing to do is stay with a cobra 19 - uniden 520 xl range most trail buddies are

not up for changing or tuning thier radio for big power. and get a skipshooter or 4-5 ft firestik antenna or francsis you will do fair with this setup
Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
REDNICK is on a distinguished road

REDNICK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post
The civil war is over!
So what? Members of my family fought and died in the Civil War so I will continue to fly the Confederate flag.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
SlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimBo84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNICK View Post
So what? Members of my family fought and died in the Civil War so I will continue to fly the Confederate flag.
"Like"
Old 10-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
Sailing the Seven Seas
Tango Bravo is on a distinguished road

Name: Thomas
Tango Bravo's Tacoma Gallery
What about something like the Midland 75-822?
I like the idea of being able to take it out of my rig and have it with me so I can hear if a buddy gets stranded.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
You can go to Walmart and for 40 dollars you will find 3 CB Radios. Purchase a magnetic antennae, and a cigarette plug for your power and you should get out for around 60 or 65dollars total. Good Luck
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Cobra75... clean and easy install.

How is this one compared to the traditionals?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBo84 View Post
How is this one compared to the traditionals?

Compare as in performance or easy of mounting?

The radio is basically in the mic, the power and coax connection are a small box remotely mounted, they seem to work pretty well, again its a CB.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I have the cobra 75, as do a few other locals up here. Works well, and you can remove the Mic/ cord easily when not in use.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
1911's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the Cobra 75, have two of them and work great for my needs, love the compactness to it.

Only downsides are need for external speaker most of the time, no PA jack, can not cruise down the road and pick up chicks like Mr. Microphone!

As to the Stars and Bars, she is still flying over Richmond.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Compare as in performance or easy of mounting?

The radio is basically in the mic, the power and coax connection are a small box remotely mounted, they seem to work pretty well, again its a CB.
I meant performance. I looked it up. I see how easy it is to install and how convenient it would be to use. I did check out the Midland 75-822 also. They both will probably fit my needs. I'm a simple guy and don't need anything fancy but when I need good performance, I want it there. Just need to find the balance I guess. Thanks for all the tips!!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBo84 View Post
I meant performance. I looked it up. I see how easy it is to install and how convenient it would be to use. I did check out the Midland 75-822 also. They both will probably fit my needs. I'm a simple guy and don't need anything fancy but when I need good performance, I want it there. Just need to find the balance I guess. Thanks for all the tips!!
it works just fine for me on the trails.... I don't listen to truckers or anything like that...
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #17
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cobra75... clean and easy install.

Agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
This^^^^^^^^
x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I have the cobra 75, as do a few other locals up here. Works well, and you can remove the Mic/ cord easily when not in use.
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
I agree with the Cobra 75, have two of them and work great for my needs, love the compactness to it.

Only downsides are need for external speaker most of the time, no PA jack, can not cruise down the road and pick up chicks like Mr. Microphone!

As to the Stars and Bars, she is still flying over Richmond.
Agree, wish it had one
Quote:
it works just fine for me on the trails.... I don't listen to truckers or anything like that...
x2
Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
NateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
NateTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Midland 75 and really like it. It is compact, loud, and transferable.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Army:
Sold!!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
Army:
I will have to tune this one?