LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where are you grounding your amp (under driver's seat)

Old 10-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Where are you grounding your amp (under driver's seat)

Just curious where everyone is grounding their amp if you put it under the driver's seat (IN A DOUBLE CAB)? pics would be nice if you have any as well, thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
pcabinatan is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
pcabinatan's Tacoma Gallery
whatever you do, just dont ground it to the seat bolts.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed4OYOTER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alan
4OYOTER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcabinatan View Post
Why not?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have a single cab, and i put my amp under the passenger seat, and my 8'' sub right behind the seat, fits perfectly.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelsisTaco View Post
i have a single cab, and i put my amp under the passenger seat, and my 8'' sub right behind the seat, fits perfectly.
I'm assuming you grounded it on the back sheet metal?

I should have specified, where is everybody grounding their amp if they have a doublecab? thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Agro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud ofAgro has much to be proud of
Agro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcabinatan View Post
Maybe not apples to apples, but I put my amp behind my rear seats and ground to the middle seat belt bolt. A Bolt is a bolt and it went straight in to the metal body of the truck. I used a wire brush wheel first to clean the entire surface down to shiny metal so the contact is solid. I'd think doing the same under the drivers seat would be sufficient.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
mytaco77 is on a distinguished road

mytaco77's Tacoma Gallery
I just run the ground to the side panel and use a metal brush to the body and then a self tap screw. I use to work in Audio Video and this is how a lot of installers do it. You need the shinny metal to get the best ground.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
pcabinatan is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
pcabinatan's Tacoma Gallery
One thing you don't notice is that the seat belt bolts in many cars are not attached directly to the frame. Its just a heavily reinforced area attached to the sheet metal.
There is also the possibilty of noise from a bad ground being transfered through the system
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
This: http://pacificstereo.com/jl-audio-xb...FYtxQgodUCMAFQ

Into the frame.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I used one of the rear seat bolts.
Sanded down to shiny metal on all contact points, works well for me and I have no noise.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #13

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMan View Post
Grounded to the frame.

nice, that's hardcore, thanks for the pic

glad to hear it's interference or noise when going to seat bolt, rather than electrocution
Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeMan View Post
Grounded to the frame.

This is the ONLY correct way to do it. Your grounds must go to the frame. Seat belt grounds, as mentioned already, do not tap into the frame typically and will not suffice as a correct grounding point.

TheeMan is 100% accurate. +1 to you Threeman!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
This is the ONLY correct way to do it. Your grounds must go to the frame. Seat belt grounds, as mentioned already, do not tap into the frame typically and will not suffice as a correct grounding point.

TheeMan is 100% accurate. +1 to you Threeman!
any concerns about going offroading/ driving in rain/ rinsing undercarriage and getting it wet, and then driving with it on?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:09 AM   #16
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
I dont think its the only correct way if grounding to bare metal under the seats or other metal mains in the body have worked for so many other people. I wouldnt want to drill a 4g size hole in the bottom of my cab
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
any concerns about going offroading/ driving in rain/ rinsing undercarriage and getting it wet, and then driving with it on?
No. Use a grommet then seal it if you think it needs to be more tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
I dont think its the only correct way if grounding to bare metal under the seats or other metal mains in the body have worked for so many other people. I wouldnt want to drill a 4g size hole in the bottom of my cab
You can ground to bare metal anywhere you like. Doesn't mean its the best place to ground. I've seen people ground into sheet metal that's not sanded down to bare metal it still worked. Look at it this way, if I put 87 octane in my motorcycle that was built for 91 octane it still works. It runs like shit, but it works.

Having a good ground is one of the most important parts of an audio system and I personally wouldn't cut corners when it comes to main power or ground.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Your metaphor is a bit off.
This is more like your motorcycle is built for 87 and 91 or 87 works and they both run the same.

Im not disagreeing that technically the frame is the best spot to ground to, however I do believe that it doesnt make a lick of real world difference to other good spots.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #19

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
No. Use a grommet then seal it if you think it needs to be more tight.

not so much water getting in the cab, I mean if the ground terminal were wet, and the system were running, would that cause any potential hazard
Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #20
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I used the left front seat bolt to ground mine, works great for many months now with no interference through the speakers. I'm happy.