1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 JBL Stereo Cuts Out

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JFKLives, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Oct 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    JFKLives

JFKLives [OP] Byte Me

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 TRD Sport Extra Value W/JBL
    FJ Team Trail Red on Black Wheels P265/75R16 BF Goodrich Tire, color match front emblum, debadged and Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
    I've seen numerous post about JBL problems here. I honestly don't want to put any additional money into my truck, but my system started acting funny yesterday. I thought it had something to do with my AUX jack. Rhapsody was playing through my phone when it first started. The speakers started cracking and eventually, cut out completely. I was unable to adjust the sound and even cutting the engine at stop lights didn't correct it. After getting home, I figured cutting power from the battery might do the trick but when I turned on my truck again the problem was gone.

Anyways, on the way home tonight it started happening again. I recorded the video. You can see clearly hear the sound goes crazy on AM, FM and CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lN-0412tAI

Since the deck itself locked up on the volume where I was unable to lower / raise the output, I'm thinking the problem is there. Thoughts?

2. Oct 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    JFKLives

JFKLives [OP] Byte Me

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    FJ Team Trail Red on Black Wheels P265/75R16 BF Goodrich Tire, color match front emblum, debadged and Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite
  3. Oct 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Is your antenna still good? just sounds like mine when I run through a canyon and loose reception.

Other option is to find someone who has another stock setup and swap the HU's real fast. Takes about 10 min to pull them out. See if the other HU makes the same noise and you'll know its your antenna or the wire going to it. If it doesn't make the noise then the HU is bad.

4. Oct 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    could be something with the amp...

5. Oct 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    good point I missed the part where he put CD/AM/FM

6. Oct 22, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    MtnBiker831

MtnBiker831 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    17 Trd Pro
    Audio, lots of it
    Yup...if the volume selection goes away it's typically a bad jbl amp. Your cheapest option would likely be to pull it and ship it to united radio service. Call them with the part number off the amp and they will give you a flat rate price most of the time. Usually $350ish iirc.

7. Oct 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    JFKLives

JFKLives [OP] Byte Me

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the replies

Definitely not the antenna, as the problem occurs on all inputs.

Very possible

The volume selection doesn't necessarily go away, it locks. Meaning, if you turn the nob in any direction it won't move away from that number (i.e. level 20 or 30). This would be the main reason I'm leaning towards a defective HU. I have platinum warranty so it should be covered .. just making the time to go in. Plus, these are the worst type of issues. It's not returned since last week but I have to assume that it will at some point but for sure I won't be able to duplicate at the dealer.

8. Jan 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    JFKLives

JFKLives [OP] Byte Me

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    I finally had time to get my truck serviced. Brought it in five times! I won't bore you with all of the details but the head unit was replaced, which didn't correct the problem. Replacing the amplifier appears to be the root cause!

Products Discussed in

To Top