Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2010 JBL Stereo Cuts Out

Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2010 JBL Stereo Cuts Out

I've seen numerous post about JBL problems here. I honestly don't want to put any additional money into my truck, but my system started acting funny yesterday. I thought it had something to do with my AUX jack. Rhapsody was playing through my phone when it first started. The speakers started cracking and eventually, cut out completely. I was unable to adjust the sound and even cutting the engine at stop lights didn't correct it. After getting home, I figured cutting power from the battery might do the trick but when I turned on my truck again the problem was gone.

Anyways, on the way home tonight it started happening again. I recorded the video. You can see clearly hear the sound goes crazy on AM, FM and CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lN-0412tAI

Since the deck itself locked up on the volume where I was unable to lower / raise the output, I'm thinking the problem is there. Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Is your antenna still good? just sounds like mine when I run through a canyon and loose reception.

Other option is to find someone who has another stock setup and swap the HU's real fast. Takes about 10 min to pull them out. See if the other HU makes the same noise and you'll know its your antenna or the wire going to it. If it doesn't make the noise then the HU is bad.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
could be something with the amp...
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
good point I missed the part where he put CD/AM/FM
Old 10-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
MtnBiker831 is on a distinguished road
MtnBiker831's Tacoma Gallery
Yup...if the volume selection goes away it's typically a bad jbl amp. Your cheapest option would likely be to pull it and ship it to united radio service. Call them with the part number off the amp and they will give you a flat rate price most of the time. Usually $350ish iirc.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks for the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Is your antenna still good? just sounds like mine when I run through a canyon and loose reception.

Other option is to find someone who has another stock setup and swap the HU's real fast. Takes about 10 min to pull them out. See if the other HU makes the same noise and you'll know its your antenna or the wire going to it. If it doesn't make the noise then the HU is bad.
Definitely not the antenna, as the problem occurs on all inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Very possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBiker831 View Post
Yup...if the volume selection goes away it's typically a bad jbl amp. Your cheapest option would likely be to pull it and ship it to united radio service. Call them with the part number off the amp and they will give you a flat rate price most of the time. Usually $350ish iirc.
The volume selection doesn't necessarily go away, it locks. Meaning, if you turn the nob in any direction it won't move away from that number (i.e. level 20 or 30). This would be the main reason I'm leaning towards a defective HU. I have platinum warranty so it should be covered .. just making the time to go in. Plus, these are the worst type of issues. It's not returned since last week but I have to assume that it will at some point but for sure I won't be able to duplicate at the dealer.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Byte Me

I finally had time to get my truck serviced. Brought it in five times! I won't bore you with all of the details but the head unit was replaced, which didn't correct the problem. Replacing the amplifier appears to be the root cause!