1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Tacoma- No sound from speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JackPlaysBass, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Oct 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    JackPlaysBass

JackPlaysBass [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Greenlawn, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Tranzit BLU Stock H/U Bluetooth Adapter
    I had originally posted this in the 2nd gen tacoma forums, but I figured I'd do better posting it here.

A few days ago, I bought an '08 Tacoma TRD Sport Edition. The stock head unit has no aux input, and I listen to SiriusXM on my phone all the time, so I purchased a Tranzit Blu bluetooth adapter for the stock radio.http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISFM21.../dp/B005XUEMK6 I installed it, and spliced it into the head unit's switched accessory power and ground. While trying to install, I tested the connections using a multimeter to figure out which was hot and which was ground. Now my speakers don't work. There's a slightly audible popping noise when first turning on the truck. I checked the fusebox in the cab and under the hood and they're all good. Is there a fuse on the speaker wire or some radio code that prevents theft because i disconnected the radio, or something? Don't really know much about car audio, worried I blew my speakers in a truck less than a week old(to me) and could use any help that I can get.

2. Oct 21, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    CrossBonz

CrossBonz Active Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB SR5
    Does your truck have the JBL audio system? Does the headunit power on and play CD's or radio?

3. Oct 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    JackPlaysBass

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Greenlawn, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Truck does not have the JBL audio system, head unit powers on and plays cd and radio fine, just no audio coming through the speakers.

4. Oct 24, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    CrossBonz

CrossBonz Active Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB SR5
    It's kinda hard to diagnose without looking at it, but there are a few things that you can do.

1st, check to make sure the Bluetooth unit is not constantly powered on...this is a long shot but if it was it may be interfering some how.

2nd, disconnect the harnesses from the back of the radio and locate the speaker wires, you will need to take a 9 volt battery with some wire leads on the battery terminals and touch the leads to the positive and negative wires of a speaker and this will make it "pop". This will let you know whether the speaker is working or not. If it pops it's working fine, if it doesn't the speaker is blown.

3rd, you can take a spare speaker that you know works (use the same battery trick described above if you need to) and attach it directly at the back of the radio (disconnect the original speaker first). This would be easiest to do with the rear speaker outputs as they are on a separate harness from the power harness. if you get sound then you know the CD player is fine and there is a problem with the speakers or wiring in the truck.

I'm going to guess there is something wrong with the internal amp in the headunit since it's pretty rare to blow all speakers simultaneously, but if you can check those things it may help to eliminate some possibilities. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. Oct 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    JackPlaysBass

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Greenlawn, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well, while trying to find the 12v i was testing every connection with a multimeter and may have hit the speaker negative wires with the positive cable on the multimeter, and it was on the wrong setting. I touched every wire on the connector that has the switched accessory power and after finally finding a wiring diagram realized that there are speaker wires on there, hence my thinking I blew all 4 speakers. I bought replacement aftermarket speakers that I haven't had a chance to put in yet, so I'll install them and report back. Thanks for all of your help and sorry for my crappy explanation of the situation, hah.

6. Oct 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    CrossBonz

CrossBonz Active Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB SR5
    I don't think you would have blown the speakers, but you could have damaged the CD player itself. Keep me updated.

Products Discussed in

To Top