1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 differences

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by AEmedic, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Oct 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    AEmedic

AEmedic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    I have a new 2014 DCLB 4X4 Sport with Entune plus non-JBL non-NAV. I am looking to install my Kenwood DNX9980HD.

While talking to the Crutchfield advisor, he is asking if anything in the wiring changed from 2013 to the 2014 model...the don't have any info for the 14.
    I think I know that the back-up camera moved to the HU from the mirror and that may have driven some wiring changes.

Is anyone savvy on the changes?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. Oct 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    Trail Cat

Trail Cat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida to NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4
    Bull Bar - TRD Exhaust - Predator Side Steps - Alarm - Anytime On Fog Lights mod - OBD UltraGauge II - LED Dome & Map Lights - LED Aux BackUp Lights - LED DRL - Gate Keeper mod - TRD bed Cup Holder & Bottle Opener - Center Console Lock mod - WeatherTech Mats - Kicker Hideaway - Rear Door Speakers - Spare Tire Extension Valve mod - Tail gate 3rd Brake Light Bar - Proline Wheels - Rear Diff Breather mod (left rear tail light area) - "Florida Tacoma's" sticker - BFG A/T KO2 tires -
    I got the no big deal stock radio in my 2013.
    So I went with the Kenwood DNN770HD mainly because I wanted the Garmin GPS and it also has internet capability.
    I would recommend the step up Kenwood DNN990HD if you got the bucks.
    As far as the camera, I would definitely leave the rear backup camera in the mirror.
    What I did was get another camera for the front, and it works great. I put a toggle switch in the front console panel and at any time flip of the switch the camera is on displaying on the Kenwood radio screen
    Really makes a big big difference for parking.

Edit Note:
    I misread your post and now understand you already swapped radios
    So what I just mentioned won't be any help. Other than connect everything back like it was keeping the backup camera in the mirror and getting a new front camera.

3. Oct 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    AEmedic

AEmedic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    The 14 does not have the camera screen in the mirror, it is in the stock touch screen radio. This is one of my peeves on the 14, the mirror isn't even auto-dimming... No Homelink either, that will be another addition!

I already own the Kenwood DNX9980HD from my previous truck, so I'm going to install that in my truck.

4. Oct 22, 2013 at 5:16 AM
    ike3000

ike3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sucks they moved the camera to the HU. That will definitely add some complexity trying to wire in the Reverse signal. Hopefully Toyota used standard connectors and you don't need to buy a special adaptor for the video signal.

Products Discussed in

To Top