1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deadener

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by atsaubrey, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Mar 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey [OP] Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Thought I would post this up since I just finished this tonight. After I was done I was impressed enough to actually grab the video camera and upload my very first youtube video. I wont name the other brand but after tonight I see I made a bad mistake going the cheaper route the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aehY72CmxyU

2. Mar 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    So does the rear door sound better? great vid!!

3. Mar 11, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey [OP] Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    dont know, got dark and I had to give the dogs a bath before the wife killed me. Oh and while I was working on the door a stray dog came up to say hi, no collar and in pretty rough shape. Long story short it took 3 shampoos to get him to rinse clean. Gonna see how he does tonight, might keep him.

4. Mar 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    I think the rear door sounds more solid as you said in the vid, thats nice of you to take in a stray dog and clean him and feed him! +1

5. Sep 27, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    mas32259

mas32259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise
    What was that vid about? worthless wastse of time. looking at your door

6. Sep 27, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Your post is a waste of time.:mad:

7. Sep 27, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    Turn the sound up genius...

8. Sep 27, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    thanks for showing the difference between brands!

:thumbsup:

9. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    atsaubrey, Damp Pro is pretty darn good stuff. I liked regular damplifier and I know damp pro is even thicker. What did you use before on the front doors?

I think it's also worth mentioning that the front door is a much larger surface that is not bolstered as well as the rear door. If you knock on the front and rear doors stock, without any deadener at all you'll still hear a difference.

I did my entire car with Damplifier, Overkill foam, and Spectrum all from second skin when I had my IS300. This time though (for the taco) I'll be using all of Don's products from SoundDeadenerShowdown.com His CLD tiles are equal to or better than the Damp Pro and his CCF is lightyears ahead. I'll be placing my order in about a week. :D

10. Sep 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Good post. Thanks for the 411.

11. Sep 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    mas32259

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise
    The front doors are the weakest link. So you can't even compare the sound to the back doors no matter what you use. If you want the VERY BEST out there hands down you must try Black Hole 5........ I put on a layer of second skin damplifier pro and cut 2" squares of BH 5 and stick it on in a checker board pattern. Much like B&W 801's home speakers. You can find closed cell foam at craft stores to save $ and use that over the damplifier sheet in the back doors and any place you like. I use this method under the door skin as well. Where water is not a problem use open cell foam over the closed cell foam. Most of the materials are for just vibrations and do nothing to absorb any sound or cancel the back wave or standing wave. I have been building home speakers and doing my own custom car stereo since the 70's and have found "You will never be able to turn a car door into a speaker cabinet".

12. Sep 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    great video that definity go on my truck when i upgrad the sound system. thanks for the insite

13. Sep 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
    :rofl:

Nice video.

14. Sep 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    While true I think it's a bit misleading because it would have you believe that you can't IMPROVE the door and bring it CLOSER to the environment of a speaker cabinet.

Things like the deadener and the foam you mentioned do wonders for improving the door environment for a midbass as you know. My favorite is the impressive difference sealing the door makes. If any of you haven't tried it I STRONGLY suggest doing it. Seal up any holes in the door that would allow air moved by the rear of the cone to come out of the door. In my IS300 I went as far as to use a fine bead of silicone around all the door pops. By far my weakest link was the window grommet. There was a drastic change in midbass when the windows were rolled down which allowed the air to come out.

For all you wanting serious midbass you need to seal up those doors :cool:

15. Sep 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    mas32259

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    Very good points indeed. Don't forget to stuff the door and widow control and arm rest with polyfill while you got it apart and maybe get new hardware to hold the skins on if you take the panel off a few times they get loose and rattle. And then you have made a speaker cabinet from a door my friend. My old 2000 E cab The back speakers were so easy, just stuff with polyfill and make an extra set of mounting rings for the inside ring to sandwich the sheetmetal. There is room and you can make them a larger diamater by making it in 2 pieces for inside ring and silicone together.

Products Discussed in

To Top