Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sub/amp troubleshooting

Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Sub/amp troubleshooting

Okay this is a bit off topic because it is in my wifes car and not my truck..

Little info:
07 Scion tc
Kicker amp and subs (If you need more info i can give it to you but thinking this is something pretty simple)

I am hoping the amp did not blow but here is my issue

Her car trunk is filled with speaker box and amp no room for anything so we have to remove it from time to time when she needs the room have never had a issue doing so till today.

I got the box back in hooked everything up and cant get sound from the subs, Checked all the fuses other then the plastic casing on one being cracked (Should not be a issue right?) Everything was okay. got my test light out checked power and everything was getting power.

Here to me is the weird part. after i could not find any issues just started fiddling to try to see if i could come up with anything I took my test light to the amp output jacks With the sub wires hooked up and when i grounded it with the test light the subs came on (They were not as loud as normal but they do work)..

Anyone able to help me out with what my issue is? Did we burn up the amp?

Any help would be great we are trying to sell this car and as always shit goes wrong at the worst times lol
Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a bad ground?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's what I thought but all my grounds are good I even replaced the cable of one and re grounded it to double check.. I know I have power cause I can get it to work by grounding out the amps speaker out put... I am wondering if something in the amp screwed up and there is some type of internal ground that got fried? I don't even know... I don't know anything about sound systems just going off of electrical knowledge and I have power and all my grounds are good..
Old 10-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Replace the fuses. Even that plastic crack just might give you a problem. It's cheap enough to get that off the list anyways.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Looked up how to check the out puts with multimeter and I was not getting out put unless grounded just went and got a new amp don't feel like jacking with internal wiring and I got a better amps for the subs anyways I was only running 1/2 the power I should have been and might have over worked the amp thanks everyone for the help
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
Looked up how to check the out puts with multimeter and I was not getting out put unless grounded just went and got a new amp don't feel like jacking with internal wiring and I got a better amps for the subs anyways I was only running 1/2 the power I should have been and might have over worked the amp thanks everyone for the help
If it comes to internals then yes it's easier to replace it IMO. Give the fuses a try first, won't hurt.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
lol, you got have the amp grounded I'm pretty sure to get any output. Hopefully the new amp fixes it for you. Be sure to set the gain correctly. I set mine with a multimeter but others set theirs by ear.
Jeremy, how do you set gain with a MM? I had the system in my old truck pretty much swapped over into my Tacoma, but wondering if it could use a look..
Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCprerunner View Post
lol, you got to have the amp grounded I'm pretty sure to get any output. Hopefully the new amp fixes it for you. Be sure to set the gain correctly. I set mine with a multimeter but others set theirs by ear.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
jeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremy_283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jeremy_283's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Jeremy, how do you set gain with a MM? I had the system in my old truck pretty much swapped over into my Tacoma, but wondering if it could use a look..
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-amplifiers/how-to-adjust-amplifier-gains-using-a-digital-multi-meter.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EQNxufWN03l/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

I'm no expert but basically look at the attached links.

Here is the link to my amps owners manual... I just followed their directions

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/XD600_1_MAN.pdf?1342151666

An easier way which others seem to like is to just tune it until there is distortion in their favorite music.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_283 View Post
lol, you got to have the amp grounded I'm pretty sure to get any output. Hopefully the new amp fixes it for you. Be sure to set the gain correctly. I set mine with a multimeter but others set theirs by ear.
The amp it's self was grounded sorry if I did not make that clear I was also havin to ground my out put jack to get any signal from the amp also though
Old 10-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
The question is 'where is your amp grounded'?

Did you find bare metal? Frame ground? Sand the paint off first?

Just because you have a screw into the metal with a ground cable attached doesn't mean its properly grounded.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
The question is 'where is your amp grounded'?

Did you find bare metal? Frame ground? Sand the paint off first?

Just because you have a screw into the metal with a ground cable attached doesn't mean its properly grounded.
It's the same ground that worked for 5 years and got a new amp already set up and better then ever