Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2014 Tacoma Limited lacks outdoor temp, mpg

Old 10-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
Brian Dunning is on a distinguished road
Brian Dunning's Tacoma Gallery
2014 Tacoma Limited lacks outdoor temp, mpg

We just picked up our 2014 Tacoma Limited with Premium JBL Entune app suite, and were disappointed that the car does not include either an outdoor temperature sensor nor does its trip computer show mpg or distance to empty. All steps down from our RAV4 which had all of these.

I've researched aftermarket solutions like ScanGauge and a lot of cheap temperature sensors and displays, but all would require clumsy aftermarket boxes glommed onto my dash. Has anyone even seen a solution for integrating this data with the existing displays?

(Things I already know about: the entune's weather app, which is not the true outdoor temp, and buying an aftermarket rear view mirror that includes temp but they're just damn expensive.) Thanks for any help.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Janderson is on a distinguished road
Janderson's Tacoma Gallery
Is your rearview mirror at least an auto dim? I was thinking the Limiteds were going to have the compass and outdoor temp display on the mirror also but it sounds like maybe you just get an auto dim? I bet the outdoor temp sensor is mounted in your grill like on the TRD's...just nothing to display the info. On my 2014 TRD we just got the old style flip tab mirror but the temp sensor is still in the grill. Really pisses me off how they went cheap on a few things this year that should be standard.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
MtnBiker831 is on a distinguished road
MtnBiker831's Tacoma Gallery
Odd, my 13 trd sport has temp and compass in the auto dimming mirror along with the camera.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Janderson is on a distinguished road
Janderson's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. For 2014 they moved the camera to the head unit which is much bigger and I personally like but they dropped the Auto Dim mirror, compass and outside temp. So we are forced to upgrade the mirror if we want those options. At least they put the temp sensor in the grill...cheap bastards anyway.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
The mirror on our 2014 DOES have autodim, compass, and Homelink.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
signalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsignalbobby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Signal Soldier
Name: Robert
signalbobby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dunning View Post
The mirror on our 2014 DOES have autodim, compass, and Homelink.
i think they put it on the limited models only. total bs.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacksblacktaco View Post
your temp guage is in the mirror, top left corner
See the original post. For 2014 the outdoor temp is deleted. Compass is moved to the right side of the mirror.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
BBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBtacosurfer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
BBtacosurfer's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 TRD OR and have the temp display in the rear view mirror along with the compass. Tacos have never had a trip MPG or mileage till empty calculator...the Ram I drove around for 2 weeks while my Taco was being prepared had all this sfuff and so did the 2012 F-150 I rented while out in Colorado. Both were nice features (MPG and mileage till empty) but they aren't really necessary in my eyes. I just calculate the MPG Everytime I fill up. If you don't know how many miles you can go till empty then you prob shouldn't be driving around on that amount of fuel.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
BlackRastafox will become famous soon enough

BlackRastafox's Tacoma Gallery
Have to get an ultra gauge to get mpgs - $60 investment plug and play 2014 Tacoma Limited lacks outdoor temp, mpg-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383711312.813957.jpg
Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
drewp is on a distinguished road

drewp's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up my new 2014 Tacoma Sport today. Been looking through the manuals for the last couple of hours. I was wondering when I was going to get to the section for the onboard computer...providing temp., MPG, DTE, etc. (It's what I had on my '06 Dakota that I traded in). I thought it would be a given with all of the "entune" gadgetry in there. Am rather surprised...and dismayed to find that there isn't any of this info available. I think I'll still really like the truck....just (unpleasantly) surprised : (

BTW does that "Ultraguage" work well? I just looked at the website. This may be a relatively inexpensive option (since I'm used to looking at some of these parameters)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
I had all of those option and more on a 2002 Jeep G.Ch. Even showed the individual tire pressures of all 4 wheels and had a tpms in the spare that notified you if it was swapped or low automatically. Also had all of the MPG info and what not. It's a shame Toyota refuses to add these simple items to a $30K+ truck. A 2002 Jeep had better tech features than my 2012 truck.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
JayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the roughJayB27 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jason
JayB27's Tacoma Gallery
I like my temp gauge but Miles left till empty.. Is that really necessary? When the needle gets to E. Its time to refill.. Not sure why someone would need to know the exact miles you have left. Scan gauge isn't very large and can be mounted any where if you really wanted those type of features.

Anyways. Congrats on the New Tacomas you guys, and welcome to Tacomaworld. Get ready to get addicted to modding..